Marino makes the All-Time Team | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino makes the All-Time Team

Greatest pure passer that ever played the game!!

I don’t believe ‘pure passer’ even needs to be said. Greatest QB in my eyes.

If I didn’t know what the surrounding talent might be — good, great or poor — and you gave me the choice of only 1 QB to lead a last drive — I’m taking Marino over everyone 100/100.

Seriously, how many times during the prime of his career can you recall him having the ball in his hands with a chance to tie or win and he didn’t do his job? It didn‘t happen a lot.

And he did it with largely a flawed supporting cast. Devoid of hall of Famers, a competent rush attack or an above average defense.

Imagine what he could have accomplished with all-star talent most the other QB’s on that list enjoyed. For one, he likely wouldn’t have had to score as many points to win nor would he have needed to come from behind near as often.

I can’t speak about any of the QB‘s whose prime occurred prior to 1975 when I first began following the sport. But in my 40+ years following the NFL, Marino is the best QB I have ever seen.

And it really has become an apples to oranges comparison with regards to today’s QB’s and the numbers they are compiling because the offensive rules have changed so drastically. Not just making it easier to sling it, but in keeping drives alive that normally would end in a punt — due to all the player protection rules.

But statistics aside, Marino was the best I saw in late game situations when the score was close and he had a chance. Didn’t matter the talent around him.

I don’t believe ‘pure passer’ even needs to be said. Greatest QB in my eyes.

If I didn’t know what the surrounding talent might be — good, great or poor — and you gave me the choice of only 1 QB to lead a last drive — I’m taking Marino over everyone 100/100.

Seriously, how many times during the prime of his career can you recall him having the ball in his hands with a chance to tie or win and he didn’t do his job? It didn‘t happen a lot.

And he did it with largely a flawed supporting cast. Devoid of hall of Famers, a competent rush attack or an above average defense.

Imagine what he could have accomplished with all-star talent most the other QB’s on that list enjoyed. For one, he likely wouldn’t have had to score as many points to win nor would he have needed to come from behind near as often.

I can’t speak about any of the QB‘s whose prime occurred prior to 1975 when I first began following the sport. But in my 40+ years following the NFL, Marino is the best QB I have ever seen.

And it really has become an apples to oranges comparison with regards to today’s QB’s and the numbers they are compiling because the offensive rules have changed so drastically. Not just making it easier to sling it, but in keeping drives alive that normally would end in a punt — due to all the player protection rules.

But statistics aside, Marino was the best I saw in late game situations when the score was close and he had a chance. Didn’t matter the talent around him.
100%. Heck, Nat Moore was on his way out of the NFL (9 catches in 1982) and then caught hundreds more when Dan came in. Even in years when we had injuries at the WR position, guys like Vince Heflin, Scott Schwedes etc would pick up the slack. Played w only 1 HOF (Stephenson) for 2.5 seasons and another in Jason Taylor way too late in his career. In his prime he had trash on both sides of the ball - fact. And yet he dominated. As you say, with the ball in his hands and the game on the line he almost always got it done. He was so great. Best I’ve ever seen as well and I think retrospectively, the reason he’s making these lists is that knowledgeable football people are realizing that titles mean jack **** - it’s a team game. Shitty QBs have won them and great QBs either haven’t or don’t have as many as the hype would lead you to believe. The stat compiling is absolutely the result of rule changes. Brees is a great example. Fine player but couldn’t hold Dans jock. If Dan played post 2007 it would be stupid and he would have some rings.

Back
Top Bottom