Marino/Tannehill Comparison: First 6 starts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino/Tannehill Comparison: First 6 starts

ciscoholgate

Winning is a Habit
Reaction score
Just for fun since the Dolphins got the 'W' today and we have a week off, I thought I'd post the first 6 starts of the legend and the rookie:

Dan the Man: 101 comp. - 181 att. (55.8%) , 1318 yards (7.28 yards per attempt), 12 TDs, 4 INTs, 8 sacks taken, 4-2 record, 91.8 QB Rating
Tannehill: 118 comp. - 198 att.
(59.6%), 1454 yards (7.34 yards per attempt), 4 TDs, 6 INTs, 11 sacks taken, 3-3 record, 76.5 QB Rating

I think Tannehill is the real deal and he may be the Franchise QB we have been looking for since #13 retired.
Today was a great showcase of his skill set as he faces a tough Rams defense and was able to move the ball with NO running game at all.
As a side note, Marino put up some crazy numbers as a rookie back in the day when you could practically mug a WR down the field.

Go Phins! Bring on the Jest!

The only thing I get out of that comparison is further reinforcement that Dan Marino, his first two years in the league, was a prodigy and probably the best football player that has ever suited up.

Dan had "IT" from the very first time he stepped on the field in the regular season against the Raiders.

Tannehill is truly developing nicely. Two weeks in a row without a turnover is a good sign. The next step in the evolution of Tannehill becoming a great QB imo is to guide Miami from come-from-behind last minute victory. Along with being able to guide the offense in running out the clock when having the lead at the end of the game and the other team within 7 or less. The past two games Miami has relied on the defense to stop the other team from scoring, which they have.

careful with this...

I am really high on Tannehill. What I have seen from him so far has been very encouraging.

Tannehill just keeps getting better and his rating from week 1 has increased tremendously. Here is his QB rating from week 1 to week 6 in order: 39.0, 91.0, 50.2, 86.5, 92.3, 112.0.

Way to early for this

In no way am I insinuating Tannehill will be on Marino's level.

They have very different styles of play, but it's our bye week and it's nice to have two weeks to sit on a W and talk about stuff like this.

Tannehill is not on Marino's level as a rookie but few are. I would say just on how they played not how they are that the only recent rookies that played on a MArino like level as a rookie have been Matt Ryan and now Robert Griffin. Oh and I almost forgot Ben rothlisberger

Your point that in Marino's day w/rs could be mugged is extremely significant and needs to be recognized by all of the later qbs who are breaking Marino's records. I love Tanny and think he will be our qb for years to come but think it is too early to mention him in the same breathe as Marino at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom