Marvin McNutt WR Iowa | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marvin McNutt WR Iowa

I think that a highly detail-oriented workup on Marvin McNutt would yield dividends...and I think that's what is going to take place now that he's had a pretty good Combine showing. You have to look at the core movement and ball skill that he puts on display when he gets his opportunities on the field, and sort of tune out the circumstantial stuff. He displayed a lot of those same core movement skills at the Combine, which is why we're having this discussion.

I don't know about getting too caught up in stat lines that say he did produce versus so-and-so but not versus so-and-so, etc. That's where I think you need to be more detail-oriented than that. For instance, you might say Leonard Johnson shut him down based on 4 catches for 69 yards in 2011, but it also might be worth noting that McNutt beat the pants off Johnson in man coverage on a crosser for a 66 yard gain when they played one another in 2010. If you're going to question whether he's ever done any damage against NFL prospects, might be worth mentioning that he's caught touchdowns on Chimdi Chekwa and Chris L. Rucker in his career, and both play in the NFL. I think Rucker starts as a matter of fact.

I think he's worth more than a late round flier. That's my personal opinion and it doesn't have to be the opinion of anyone else's. I could think of worse things to do with a mid round pick than take Marvin McNutt, considering the Oronde Gadsden type potential he shows with his hands and concentration on the ball in air, as well as the potential he shows to be a physical, hard runner after the catch, and to run solid, balanced routes.

I also think there aren't that many receivers in this Draft I would take above Devon Wylie of Fresno State. Just another opinion I have, to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom