Marvin McNutt WR Iowa | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marvin McNutt WR Iowa

Fin_Frenzy_84

Starter
Reaction score
I was doing some research on him and he is a big body who put up some big numbers for Iowa. He holds Iowa all time receiving touchdown record. This year he had 12 touchdowns and over 1300 yards. He is projected to go around the 4th or 5th and I see Miami possibly drafting him since we got iowas offensive coordinator for our WR coach.

Do you guys like him and do you think we will grab him?

You may be on to something there. 6'4", 215 and good hands. Miami gains a lot of insight on McNutt with Ken O'Keefe on board and could be a value pick in the 3rd or 4th round.

If we go WR I would prefer a deep threat. McNutt doesn't really compliment Marshall.

I love McNutt. He's the official "Beanh8er's amazing bang for your buck WR prospect who will get drafted later than he should, but put up good numbers his rookie season." **** I wish we would've drafted Denarius Moore. Guy put up 33 Rec for 600+ yards his rookie season.

If we go WR I would prefer a deep threat. McNutt doesn't really compliment Marshall.

Exactly. Mcnutt is an interesting prospect, big guy- but is he any better than the similar sized Roberto Wallace? Go for the deep threat, I cast my vote for Joe Adams.

He's very similar to Patrick Turner, who I had a late round grade on.

McNutt might make a decent possession receiver as a 4th option or so. He just doesn't create seperation in his routes, especially against top DB's.

He couldn't create any seperation against Jamell Fleming, he was in his hip pocket and running the routes for him all game... including an interception. At one point in the 4th quarter, McNutt had been thrown at 12 times and only had 2 receptions for 26 yards.

Another issue is that he fights his hands sometimes and drops passes. That's not an ideal knock you want in a possession receiver who can't create seperation.

yep...he doesn't get any separation...it was obvious in the iowa bowl game and obvious the entire senior bowl week...pass

Ya much rather have guys like ted gin and clyde gates. 'Nt.

Ive seen mcnutt catch enough game winning tds to know id take him. 5th round.....take him everytime over some fat out of shape lineman or speedstef who wont even sniff playing time.

Ya much rather have guys like ted gin and clyde gates. 'Nt.

Ive seen mcnutt catch enough game winning tds to know id take him. 5th round.....take him everytime over some fat out of shape lineman or speedstef who wont even sniff playing time.

Apparently he didn't catch enough of 'em since Iowa went 7-6.

9 of his 12 TD grabs came against Tennessee Tech, Louisiana-Monroe, Indiana, and Purdue. He was shut out of the endzone by Leonard Johnson, Jamell Fleming, Antwuan Reed, Chaz Powell, Troy Woolfolk, and Alfonzo Dennard. All NFL prospects, and mostly not very good one's.

He's worth a late round flier, but I wouldn't expect much in the short term or long term.

I'd be interested to hear more about how much of Lamar Miller you've seen in order to come to the conclusion that he's better than Trent Richardson. Was it all his fumbles against Florida St. that impressed you? His tentative running in between the tackles? His durability issues? His stellar pass protection and blitz pick up in the passing game?

No point in arguing with a finheaven expert whos evidently never missed on an nfl prospect is there? Its just my opinion bro. Hawks defense and vandenberg can be blamed for the majority of the hawks problems. Norm parker, micah hyde, etc had more to do with that record than mcnutt, but you alreaxy knew that didnt you.

in all honesty I have no clue who is gonna be the better prospect. I think lamar miller is explosive much like trich. I think being a redshirt sophmore, miller obviously has to improve from blitz pickup and blocking. I don't suspect that you think that many sophmores are fully developed in that aspect of their game anyway. I think if miller had stayed another year he would have put up similar numbers to what trent did this year. Trent obviously had more td's but 3 against both kent state, and north texas and 4 against ole miss is half his production from a td standpoint, since we pointed out that mcnutts production came against ****ty teams. He had roughly 60 more carries than lamar and I think if you ante up 60 more carries to lamar you have a very similar output statistically speaking. Factor in the major difference in the stable alabama program and the anything but stable miami program I think the only difference we are talking about is another year of technique and metal reps in the blocking game. Maybe a little better body of work as a pass catcher out of the backfield wouldn't hurt either. I believe lamar did cough it up twice against twice against FSU, and jacory threw a pic for three turnovers. I can't roast a guy for fumbling twice... I dont think it's a habit and I can point to adrian peterson as a fumble artist who seems to be doing okay. james also has two rush tds for a yard a piece. SO I'm not sure what we are arguing about. Besides, this was a mcnutt thread and now we aren't talking about mcnutt.
It's just my preference of miller over trent. Trent will probably do better right away, but I'm not sure he has the better career. I've been wrong more than I've been right though, that's why I run a motorgrader and don't scout for an nfl team!

Being a U of Iowa alum I've seen Mcnutt play live many times. The guy will be a good WR in the NFL. He's smart, big, and has good hands. He doesn't have elite speed, but he can catch the ball and get open mainly because of his great route running and size.

4th round would be the earliest I'd draft him.

I was all for brian quick two weeks ago from appalaichin st. Apparently he is Megatron without the ability to catch the ball away from his chest. coaches and scouts are looking at coaching him up and making him the next biggest sleeper to come from small school nobodyland. Now projected alot in 2nd round.

in all honesty I have no clue who is gonna be the better prospect. I think lamar miller is explosive much like trich. I think being a redshirt sophmore, miller obviously has to improve from blitz pickup and blocking. I don't suspect that you think that many sophmores are fully developed in that aspect of their game anyway. I think if miller had stayed another year he would have put up similar numbers to what trent did this year. Trent obviously had more td's but 3 against both kent state, and north texas and 4 against ole miss is half his production from a td standpoint, since we pointed out that mcnutts production came against ****ty teams. He had roughly 60 more carries than lamar and I think if you ante up 60 more carries to lamar you have a very similar output statistically speaking. Factor in the major difference in the stable alabama program and the anything but stable miami program I think the only difference we are talking about is another year of technique and metal reps in the blocking game. Maybe a little better body of work as a pass catcher out of the backfield wouldn't hurt either. I believe lamar did cough it up twice against twice against FSU, and jacory threw a pic for three turnovers. I can't roast a guy for fumbling twice... I dont think it's a habit and I can point to adrian peterson as a fumble artist who seems to be doing okay. james also has two rush tds for a yard a piece. SO I'm not sure what we are arguing about. Besides, this was a mcnutt thread and now we aren't talking about mcnutt.
It's just my preference of miller over trent. Trent will probably do better right away, but I'm not sure he has the better career. I've been wrong more than I've been right though, that's why I run a motorgrader and don't scout for an nfl team!

You're certainly entitled to have any opinion you like. I'm not "arguing" with you, I asked you a question. I figured you might have something substantial to back up your assessment. That's typically what we try to do here in the draft forum regarding prospects. You can prefer a one-legged rodeo clown over Trent Richardson as far as I'm concerned.

However, I think it may be helpful to you if you understand that Trent Richardson and Marvin McNutt are two completely different caliber of football players and athletes. You're correlation to their production makes little sense to me. It's almost as if you've never watched Trent Richardson play. It wasn't really my intent to even make Trent Richardson and Lamar Miller a 2-man battle for the top RB prospect, that's what you're trying to do. I don't think Miller is as good as Doug Martin or David Wilson either. If you'd like to make a comparison or have a debate there, it's might actually be one worth having.

Furthermore, Trent Richardson isn't a better back because of his rushing yardage or TD's. It's a lot more to it than that. Hell, Bobby Rainey has more rushing yards than Richardson but that doesn't mean he's a better prospect.

Lastly, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about in regards to Kent St. Other than LSU, Kent St. was the best run defense Bama played all season. Kent St. has a better scoring defense than 7 teams in the ACC, and had the 33rd ranked run defense in the entire country....which is also better than all ACC teams except for 3. Kent St. was 21st in TOTAL defense, which is better than every team in the ACC except for 2. Kent St. was 21st in 1st downs allowed... also better than every team in the ACC except for 3.

Kent St. had a 335 pound, run stuffing immovable rock by the name of Ishmaa'ily Kitchen, who's one of the more underrated DT's in this draft... and he played lights out against Bama's offense in week 1.

They also have a sophomore DE by the name of Roosevelt Nix who's one of the best sophomore NFL defensive line prospects in the entire country. You'll be hearing about all the talking heads hyping him up soon enough. As in next year when he's draft eligible. Trent only played 2 quarters against Kent St. anyway (the 1st and 3rd quarters).

Back
Top Bottom