Massive haul in the draft | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Massive haul in the draft

He is over-rated but a better long term prospect than Burrow

What was the final score again?? Who choked that win away???

I think Herbert — who I was on record pre-draft as wanting no part of — has been pretty darn good so far.

Especially considering the circumstances of how he was suddenly thrust into the lineup. And, like all rookies, didn’t have the usual training camp and preseason games to prepare.

He’s got some good weapons around him to work with in Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Hunter Henry. His accuracy has looked better than expected. I mean, he’s shown some of the inaccuracy issues but on the whole it hasn’t been a problem thus far. We’ll see how things go as teams counter what they see on film.

That all said, despite how well he’s played at times, his team is 0-4 in the games he’s started. Tonight the Chargers scored 20 in the first half but only 7 the rest of the game — including OT.

During his long career, Brees only had one comeback to his name when down 17 or more. But he got a 2nd one tonight. Partially because the Chargers offense stagnated in the 2nd half. Herbert deserves some of that blame.

All in all, I’m still not overly confident in Herbert long term, but have to admit he’s exceeded the expectations I had thus far.

I think Herbert — who I was on record pre-draft as wanting no part of — has been pretty darn good so far.

Especially considering the circumstances of how he was suddenly thrust into the lineup. And, like all rookies, didn’t have the usual training camp and preseason games to prepare.

He’s got some good weapons around him to work with in Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Hunter Henry. His accuracy has looked better than expected. I mean, he’s shown some of the inaccuracy issues but on the whole it hasn’t been a problem thus far. We’ll see how things go as teams counter what they see on film.

That all said, despite how well he’s played at times, his team is 0-4 in the games he’s started. Tonight the Chargers scored 20 in the first half but only 7 the rest of the game — including OT.

During his long career, Brees only had one comeback to his name when down 17 or more. But he got a 2nd one tonight. Partially because the Chargers offense stagnated in the 2nd half. Herbert deserves some of that blame.

All in all, I’m still not overly confident in Herbert long term, but have to admit he’s exceeded the expectations I had thus far.

Absolutely. It was the same way he blew a 21-6 3rd quarter lead against Auburn and let a true freshman quarterback playing in his first college football game come back and beat him.

People don’t think those incompletions on routine throws matter. They only think about the long TD’s off blown coverages and dig the box score. They can’t ever figure out why the wins don’t match the stats.

It was that obscure 3rd and 10 nearly halfway through the 4th quarter where he missed his open guy at around midfield that killed any chance at points and resulted in a punt. Those misses add up.

Let’s not crown Herbert yet.
The last play of the game is just as telling as some of those TDs. Accurate ball = 1st down= possible win.
I stop listening to fans that don’t equate success and wins with starting QBs or starting MLB Pitchers.
It’s a real stat especially in close games- the difference is in the details - it’s the reason you have to watch the games.

It took Madison and Surtain years to be good and Iggy is only 20. It's HARD.

He'll be fine. If you expected some great corner out of the gate, that's your problem, not his.
People forget this. Madison and Surtain might have been the best tandem for a few years, and neither started as a rookie.
Both were second round picks, Igbo late first. Madison and Surtain both had full offseasons and neither started.
I remember really wanting Madison to play as a rookie, and when he got in, not much good happened.
Igbo is what he is. I view him as a future investment to replace X ONCE X's CONTRACT IS UP.
We aren't getting rid of X anytime soon. But by the time his contract ends, we will need a replacement. Likely, Igbo will be a 3rd/4th CB till then, develop, and bounce into X's spot at that time.
At least that's how I see it.
Christ, cut the kid a break after 4 games. Even Microwavable dinners don't come out of the box ready to eat.

Its easy to overreact one way or another in the first year of a rookie class. I remember a year after with that '15 class it looked like this team had drafted a future starting receiver, guard, running back, and slot corner in Parker, Douglas, Ajayi, and McCain. None of them were all that great but all showed enough where you could see them having solid careers in Miami. There were even flashes of something special in Parker and Ajayi.

Turns out the player who might turn out to be the best of the bunch was the one many of us assumed was a bust after year one. It took 4 yrs for Phillips to find himself and live up to that massive potential but when he did it sure was an impressive showing.

This draft sure looks like it could provide Tua a good 5 yrs of solid o-line play, which would be an incredible boon for the young man starting out his career. Not too many young QBs are so lucky. Burrow has to be incredibly envious watching Herbert stand in that clean pocket.

If Hunt. Jackson and Kindley continue with their apparent upside and development, Miami might just skip drafting an OL until the later part of the 2021 draft; if at all.

Hopefully they'll fix the LB. DE and FS, positions and find a Slot Reciever, as well as, a more physical RB.
I feel like we have two slot receivers that we refuse to play in the slot for some reason. Perry and Bowden. Ford has done fine there but he's just going to catch the ball and not give you much else after the catch. More speed on the outside would be nice though.

I feel like we have two slot receivers that we refuse to play in the slot for some reason. Perry and Bowden. Ford has done fine there but he's just going to catch the ball and not give you much else after the catch. More speed on the outside would be nice though.

With the slot WR, running the correct routes with the correct timing and distance can take a bit of time to perfect. They're also the most dangerous throws into defensive traffic and can become turnover city, so making sure the player in that position has a firm grasp of the playbook and how to execute is a big deal. Also need to remember they're both small guys still developing strength, and in the NFL your slot WRs need to be able to block not only DB's but occasionally a LB. As the season progresses I would expect to see Bowden and/or Perry start taking reps in the slot.

Excited to see what they can do.

BTW... Herbert 3 TDs in the first half. Who was it that said he was overrated?

History has taught us you really have to take a step back on rookie QB's early success.
It's great for Herbert considering the projections.
But please take a pause.

You have to wait 2-3 season before you know what they are...

Not too long ago Carson Wentz was the next coming...
Where'd K.Murray go?
Maybe Mayfield has arrived?

On and on and on..

History has taught us you really have to take a step back on rookie QB's early success.
It's great for Herbert considering the projections.
But please take a pause.

You have to wait 2-3 season before you know what they are...

Not too long ago Carson Wentz was the next coming...
Where'd K.Murray go?
Maybe Mayfield has arrived?

On and on and on..
...and it is even funnier watching posters run in here defending our guy... considering he hasn't played at all.

I agree with your timeline. In an earlier post, I've mentioned that we wont know for at least three years.

With the slot WR, running the correct routes with the correct timing and distance can take a bit of time to perfect. They're also the most dangerous throws into defensive traffic and can become turnover city, so making sure the player in that position has a firm grasp of the playbook and how to execute is a big deal. Also need to remember they're both small guys still developing strength, and in the NFL your slot WRs need to be able to block not only DB's but occasionally a LB. As the season progresses I would expect to see Bowden and/or Perry start taking reps in the slot.

Excited to see what they can do.

THIS!

He's exceeded my expectations of him so far. Yea, he has some issues in his game, but IMO they are correctable IF he's willing to put in the work and the coaching is there too. Some guys end up like Paxton Lynch, too busy focusing on everything but football once drafted and never cared to work on their weaknesses. To be determined on Herbert, but I assume most Charger fans are more than happier with what they've seen so far.

Still think Tua will be very good here. So, there is no well we should of taken Herbert type vibe in my post.

...and it is even funnier watching posters run in here defending our guy... considering he hasn't played at all.

I agree with your timeline. In an earlier post, I've mentioned that we wont know for at least three years.
Who is defending our guy?!!? You are trolling. You just wished you waited until the end of the game now you have to back pedal

I mean it was unlikely Herbert was going to line up at the 1 yard line courtesy of the D in the second half or did you just expect to throw 3 more TDs and rush for 60 yards by the end stat line??

Dude left plays on the field and it is his MO, correctable possibly, but a QB has to concentrate for 4 quarters whether vet or rook

Uhhh Do you remember X Howard 1st year..or
Pat Surtain ... Patience Grasshopper !!!
I think my entire point was patience, wasn’t it? “Hopefully, but it will take time to verify.”

Back
Top Bottom