Massive haul in the draft | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Massive haul in the draft

And which teams draft pure BPA for an entire draft year for multiple years?

The Saints are known for it. The Ravens, at least under Newsome. Steelers have consistently followed their board and not their "needs". Needs are such a momentary thing and draft picks a long term investment with even first rounders usually having little year-one impact.

More importantly, strengths are also a transitional matter in the nfl. Every player is a play away from missing the season.

Edit: this is why I loved the Iggy pick. Not because of the player (I know nothing about him) but because, after signing Byron Jones, they must have REALLY liked Iggy. BPA

Last edited:
Not drafting bpa regardless of need is one of the worst decisions franchises can make. It's what the good teams do. And there is data to back it up:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-nfl-teams-should-sign-for-need-and-draft-for-value

The problem here is the assumptions that a) there is a player available to fill your position of need via free agency (high value skill players aren't on the open market often) b) you can afford the player on the open market and c) the player signs with you over other teams (trades are a whole different can of worms, see the Texans).

With the draft you have a known amount of targets per position prior to the draft (QB X, QB, Y, QB Z). If one of those prospects is sitting there and especially with the QB position you make the pick. You might be able to argue between a WR or DE or LT and BPA but with regard to a QB you make the pick regardless of BPA if you're the GM.

Hindsight is 20/20 and there is a host of teams who whiffed on future HOF players due to BPA so all you can do is complete the roster the best way given the constraints at the time and that might be Free Agency, Trade, BPA or Draft for Need, you simply can't know since there are classic examples of all of those methods working and failing for a franchise,

Not drafting bpa regardless of need is one of the worst decisions franchises can make. It's what the good teams do. And there is data to back it up:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-nfl-teams-should-sign-for-need-and-draft-for-value
Agree and Miami is proof of that. So often the team put need above BPA. Now, obviously, there are exceptions. If you have a young, proven franchise quarterback and the BPA is a quarterback, then you take someone else, or trade down. Also, if the evaluation is close enough need could trump BPA.

The Saints are known for it. The Ravens, at least under Newsome. Steelers have consistently followed their board and not their "needs". Needs are such a momentary thing and draft picks a long term investment with even first rounders usually having little year-one impact.

More importantly, strengths are also a transitional matter in the nfl. Every player is a play away from missing the season.

Edit: this is why I loved the Iggy pick. Not because of the player (I know nothing about him) but because, after signing Byron Jones, they must have REALLY liked Iggy. BPA

I'll admit, I'm going by talking heads on draft night and draft projections on web sites (and FH). I don't ever remember hearing/reading anyone stating 'well, PIT always drafts pure BPA so . . .' In every case, it's 'Saints need a DT or LB so . . . '

To be fair, no one knows "the board" so proving disproving is difficult. That said, it seems like 'needs' and 'bpa' overlap a LOT

The problem here is the assumptions that a) there is a player available to fill your position of need via free agency (high value skill players aren't on the open market often) b) you can afford the player on the open market and c) the player signs with you over other teams (trades are a whole different can of worms, see the Texans).

With the draft you have a known amount of targets per position prior to the draft (QB X, QB, Y, QB Z). If one of those prospects is sitting there and especially with the QB position you make the pick. You might be able to argue between a WR or DE or LT and BPA but with regard to a QB you make the pick regardless of BPA if you're the GM.

Hindsight is 20/20 and there is a host of teams who whiffed on future HOF players due to BPA so all you can do is complete the roster the best way given the constraints at the time and that might be Free Agency, Trade, BPA or Draft for Need, you simply can't know since there are classic examples of all of those methods working and failing for a franchise,

I definitely agree about qb. It's the position that breaks the tendency. Just too important.

BPA doesn't protect from busts. It is playing the percentages. You shouldn't be taking a Kyle Pitts over a Micah Parsons because you're happy with your LBs and you think you need a TE.

The main problem with drafting for need though is that most rookies will need a year or two to be able to do so. And by then your team will have completely different needs/strengths.

I’m not trying to hate on Tua or anything, but if you remember I was a huge Herbert Fan and was begging to pick Herbert over Tua. So far Herbert is doing pretty damn well.

If Hunt. Jackson and Kindley continue with their apparent upside and development, Miami might just skip drafting an OL until the later part of the 2021 draft; if at all.

Hopefully they'll fix the LB. DE and FS, positions and find a Slot Reciever, as well as, a more physical RB.
Slot Receiver = Lynn Bowden. Dudes going to be a great player

I despise the BPA argument for one major reason.

Who determines who the BPA is?

That is an opinion... purely pulled out of ones nethers. ...so people take the BPA (in their opinion) in one of their areas of need.

Now... a team might take a player from one of their minor needs if they THINK the player is BPA... but defining this is like catching sunshine in your hands.

i already have him as a bust. yeah its early oh well thats how i see it. hated the pick draft night and like it even less now. i don't like projects in the 1st rd.
I think you are letting hurt feelings affect your judgment. Yes he's had a few bad outings but injuries forced those matchups (he never should have been in). No preseason, camps, etc. I see him growing, and he has shown maturity with his failures. He is just a young kid that has made a significant position change. Show a little patience ...

Yeah we could use a little "Waddle" in our walk!

He "eats" in the slot.
Clearly your #1 and #2 corners are on Parker and Williams. Which opens up your #3 corner on a Waddle.
Love Ford! But he gives you nothing run after the catch.
A guy like Waddle is a threat to score every time.

Brutal bad backpedal

LISTEN you are looking for a fight and I will give it to you

He choked - the game was there for the taking - making excuses doesn’t get it done

Dude lacks consistency that is his MO

You either lift your team up or you don’t - not saying he won’t someday but he is far far from this polished product

So congrats to you and your opening post about 3 TDs in the opening minutes but what happened is on his shoulders

I am so amazed that People like you accept mediocrity as brilliance - Average won’t get it done in the NFL that is why Tanne is gone and the FO selected Tua

Come back for more juvenile posts anytime
You make a good argument, the insults at the end only diminish them.

Back
Top Bottom