Match up to watch/Simple key to Bronco-Dolphin game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Match up to watch/Simple key to Bronco-Dolphin game

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Match up to watch

Miami's d-line vrs Denvers o-line

Brian Greise has been sacked 17 times this season, 3rd most in the conference. Miami's pass rush was horrendis 2 weeks ago, but came on strong last week against NE. If the Dolphins can take advantage of Denver's weekness, and get some preasure on Greise it should help our secondary take advantage of some mistakes and should be the difference maker.

*Other game notes
Rod Smith seperated his shoulder yesterday against San Deigo, but will play. The question is how effective will a hobbled Smith be against Miami's all pro corners?

Denver hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher in 19 games. Ricky Williams has rushed for over 100 yards in 4 of his first 5 games as a Dolphin. If RW wants to be considerd for the MVP this would be a good week to catch some attention.

This is going to have to be a game in which Jay will need to pull out the win. Ricky should get around 80 yards or so, but Jay needs to be error free. Denver is a tough place to play. Their defense feeds off their fans/crowd. If we get pressure on Griese early, he will have an off game and force TO's. On the other hand, if we give him time to throw like we did Trent Green, we will be in for a long day. Miami always does well on ESPN televised games though. Jay will be under the spotlight and so will Ricky. This is our chance to show the world if we are real on national TV. I think we can win it. GO FINS!!!

I'll be in Vegas for this one and I'm going to drop a bet on the our boys. Hopefully they can win me some extra Honeymoon money :D

Congrats on the wedding! I will be in flight from NY back to Florida durring the game, but will watch it at 12 when i get back. I to will be out of town due to a wedding, but thank god not my own:D

Re: The Match up to watch

Originally posted by Dajesus
Miami's d-line vrs Denvers o-line

Brian Greise has been sacked 17 times this season, 3rd most in the conference. Miami's pass rush was horrendis 2 weeks ago, but came on strong last week against NE. If the Dolphins can take advantage of Denver's weekness, and get some preasure on Greise it should help our secondary take advantage of some mistakes and should be the difference maker.
exactly what I was thinking - the difference between Den giving up 17 sacks and Jay only getting sacked 5x s/b a huge factor in this game. If we came pressure Griese, our 2ndary will have a solid; and if we keep the pass rush off of Jay -which we did not do in KC - Jay will likely not make any mistakes by forcing it.

We've got 2 of the best run D's ag. 2 of the best run O's - which could easily be a wash so that big plays in the passing game by an O or D could easily make the difference - go JT

Good Luck Expo. I hope you have an awesome honeymoon helped along by a Dolphin victory.

Some other interesting matchups and key points I have thought of:

1: Randy McMicheal will be playing his first game with the guy he models his game after: Shannon Sharpe. Can the rookie outshine his veteran hero?

2: Denver linebackers quickness against our tight ends and running backs. The Broncos have some speedy linebackers who can cover well. Could they pull the plug on Miami's short range passes?

3: Desmond Clark first game against his old team. Desmond Clark should be ready to face his old team in his first game with his new team. Will he be effective or even a factor on sunday night?

4: Rod Smith on Sam Madison/Patrick Surtain. As someone else pointed out, Smith seperated his shoulder against San Diego. How will he handle the physical nature of Miami's cornerbacks? Could he be taken out of the game?

5: Jay Fiedler's arm against the Denver Secondary. Everyone's favorite guy to love/hate, still has some things to prove. If the linebackers shut down the short, mid range passes, Fiedler might have to go over the top for a deep pass...can he do it?

Miami 24 Denver 17

Wow don't know how you guys forgot about this MAJOR NUMERO UNO matchup.

Denver TE's vs LB's/Safeties.

Samphin,
Some responses to your questions from a Broncos perspective:

1: Randy McMicheal will be playing his first game with the guy he models his game after: Shannon Sharpe. Can the rookie outshine his veteran hero?
Yes. Shannon is still a reliable receiver, but he has lost a step or two. At best, he's had a few average games this year, and a bad game or two. His best contribution to the Broncos this year will be his swagger and locker room presence -- something the Broncos desparately needed.

2: Denver linebackers quickness against our tight ends and running backs. The Broncos have some speedy linebackers who can cover well. Could they pull the plug on Miami's short range passes?
Yes. With their speed, the LBs swarm the ball immediately after it is caught and eliminate yards after the catch. They were very effective shutting down Marshall Faulk after he caught the ball in week 1 who usually excels in these short passes.

3: Desmond Clark first game against his old team. Desmond Clark should be ready to face his old team in his first game with his new team. Will he be effective or even a factor on sunday night?
I don't know. With the emergene of McMichael, has he even been a factor for you guys?

4: Rod Smith on Sam Madison/Patrick Surtain. As someone else pointed out, Smith seperated his shoulder against San Diego. How will he handle the physical nature of Miami's cornerbacks? Could he be taken out of the game?
Smith is tough. Even with bum ankles last season, he was still able to catch 113 balls. He will still make some catches. I'm curious how it will effect his downfield blocking. Smith and McCaffrey take pride in springing the RBs for longer gains with good downfield blocks. I'm curious if Smith's shoulder might hinder his ability to effectively block. The Broncos are also looking to bring Lelie in to the offense more, so that may be a factor as well.

5: Jay Fiedler's arm against the Denver Secondary. Everyone's favorite guy to love/hate, still has some things to prove. If the linebackers shut down the short, mid range passes, Fiedler might have to go over the top for a deep pass...can he do it?
I don't know. We have the same question about Griese. Most fans of other teams seem to think their best chance is to rattle Griese with pressure. I don't know why that perception is out there, and I don't think it's accurate. Most Broncos fans question Brian's ability to effectively throw the deep ball when the short and mid-range passes aren't there. I think even Griese questions this, which causes him to hold on to often and take the sack, which results in the high number of sacks against him.

The Match up to this Game I think will be Salaam Vs Taylor Both have great foot movement and fast off the Ball

I normally don't bet on the Dolphins, but I met bet $100 this week. Griese's been sacked 17 times, Portis isn't near the best back we've faced (Edgerrin James, Priest Holmes, Antowain Smith, Curtis Martin), Rod Smith is hurt. We should have Dixon back, and our starting "D" healthy again. Even in Denver with all those tangibles we're looking prety good. The only problem i see is Denver's Run Defense. GO RICKY!!! With the spread being Denver by 3 1/2 I could walk out with $300-$1000 depending on what spread I take.

not sure we will have Dixon back there were conflicting reports:

10:18 PT: Miami Dolphins head coach Dave Wannstedt said OL Mark Dixon (ankle) is doing a lot better and the team is hopeful he’ll be able to return to action after the team’s BYE week.

vs Wanne saying this

Mark Dixon is a lot better. We’re hopeful there.

Freak - Desmond Clark has not played yet and may not even be active...

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Wow don't know how you guys forgot about this MAJOR NUMERO UNO matchup.

Denver TE's vs LB's/Safeties.

Yes that match up brings back bad memories dosen't it?

But like Broncosfreak stated Sharpe has "lost a step", and isn't Tony "the nightmare" Gonzalaz so I don't think he will be as effective as Tony was in the KC game. I feel McCafferty will be the guy to stop, he's got deseptive speed and very good hands.He also has a knack for making the big play when called on.

I gotta go with our boys and say 27-21.

:shark:
Broncos

Originally posted by Hellion
I feel McCafferty will be the guy to stop, he's got deseptive speed and very good hands.He also has a knack for making the big play when called on.
which goes back to the point that getting a pass rush will help prevent that more than anything...

Dolphins 27 Broncs 24

If both team play up to their potential this will be a good game..I think Miami has the Brons number, but "on any given Sunday" Miami usually plays well on Sunday Nights games wheather they're home or on the road..The cool air should feel good to Miami after practicing all week in heat..Just need to stretch a little more so their don't pull something..The thin air didn't slow them down last time they were in Denver. Miami 28- 17..

Back
Top Bottom