Matt Canada offense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Canada offense

Agree with that, but a comment. Any HC/OC who want a complex O better accept year 1 won't be pretty, for the reasons you mention. Accept the player mistakes. Accept the 'slow' play until the plays become automatic. The only other option is to put in the basics of the system along with a little complexity and add complexity next season. I don't want the most complex O in the NFL, but 'no complexity' is far worse
Agreed. That was my point about Coach Flo bringing it from New England. Coach Flo should have known that before, and since the defense stunk and the offense was the best part of the team in year 1, it kinda made no sense he would fire the OC. It appears Ross may have told him we cannot accept this, so someone needs to be let go, and the OC was the scape goat. But, if we do this again, we dang sure need to learn our lesson and NOT make the same stupid mistake again by asking players who are not willing to put in the grind and mental work to memorize this stuff to badly execute it. Either do not add this layer of complexity, or get players who can execute it. Making the same mistake twice in such a short amount of time would be ludicrous.

Fortunately, I think Grier has a good handle on what the players on the roster can and will do. If they can't learn the complexity or aren't willing to put in the extra time to master it, then surely he will not make the same mistake twice. Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, this is EXACTLY what the Chan Gailey lynch mob failed to understand. Our guy was young and under-prepared due to covid and rehab, and we lacked weapons and linemen... yet, they expected the Chiefs offense.

I've given up on even trying to understand the logic, and am just hoping that the next guy can slowly implement a high powered offense without getting lynched.
Ehh, there’s some truth in here. But the rational people that wanted Gailey gone didn’t come to that conclusion simply due to us not having KC’s offense.

Chan was too inconsistent in the way he called plays. I liked a lot of the concepts he drew up, it just felt the rhythm and way he called the game was clunky. It was more of a “what’s next on the sheet” mentality than setting plays up to compliment each other. I also thought he was poor at managing the flow of the game.

At the end of the day, Chan is probably a mid tier OC. Somewhere around 15th-17th in the league. But that’s the 8-8/7-9 stuff we’ve been clamoring to get away from.

Ehh, there’s some truth in here. But the rational people that wanted Gailey gone didn’t come to that conclusion simply due to us not having KC’s offense.

Chan was too inconsistent in the way he called plays. I liked a lot of the concepts he drew up, it just felt the rhythm and way he called the game was clunky. It was more of a “what’s next on the sheet” mentality than setting plays up to compliment each other. I also thought he was poor at managing the flow of the game.

At the end of the day, Chan is probably a mid tier OC. Somewhere around 15th-17th in the league. But that’s the 8-8/7-9 stuff we’ve been clamoring to get away from.
I think Chan is better than mid-tier, but let's start with that...

If he is mid-tier, then logically... you are looking for an upper tier guy to replace him. ...and well, the upper tier guys are already working elsewhere... aren't they? So, you end up doing what we are doing... giving a guy his first shot, which is not a safe bet.

Disagree a little. The last 4-5 games, I could look over at my wife . . . 'run play between the tackles' or 'pass to the RB in the flat' and be right EASILY half the time. I agree with flow of the game. He'd run up-tempo (which seemed to help TT) a few plays and then drop it.

Nonetheless, learning a system, no PS (I know, no rookie had a PS), 3 rookie OLmen, poor receiver corp the last half, didn't help.

I think Chan is better than mid-tier, but let's start with that...

If he is mid-tier, then logically... you are looking for an upper tier guy to replace him. ...and well, the upper tier guys are already working elsewhere... aren't they? So, you end up doing what we are doing... giving a guy his first shot, which is not a safe bet.
Well in theory, yes. You’re always looking for an upper tier OC or coordinator of any type no matter their predecessorI don’t think any franchise hires a guy just hoping they can become league average.

Disagree a little. The last 4-5 games, I could look over at my wife . . . 'run play between the tackles' or 'pass to the RB in the flat' and be right EASILY half the time. I agree with flow of the game. He'd run up-tempo (which seemed to help TT) a few plays and then drop it.

Nonetheless, learning a system, no PS (I know, no rookie had a PS), 3 rookie OLmen, poor receiver corp the last half, didn't help.
That was me...Chan's play calling was so predicable...

Yeah not sure what happened to the offense as a whole the last 3-4 games. I don’t know if Chan just ran out of plays or what, but it seemed as if all of the fun wrinkles (besides Lynn Bowden QB/WR) were gone.

What really put me in the fire Gailey camp was the red zone playcalling. Between the 20’s stuff was meh, but the red zone play calls were truly horrible. The one series against the bengals where we went power run, power run, fade was about as opposite as you could call a game for this roster

Well in theory, yes. You’re always looking for an upper tier OC or coordinator of any type no matter their predecessorI don’t think any franchise hires a guy just hoping they can become league average.
Unfortunately, I think that may be EXACTLY what we are doing here...

I still believe that Flores hoped Chan would stick around for one more year so that 1) We we not looking at a new coordinator 5 years in a row, and 2) So that one of our in-house candidates had more time to grow into the role.

My guess is that Chan just got tired of the negativity and said, to Hell with it... retirement was nice. LOL

We'll never really know however... so let's hope that whatever we do is a good decision.

Agreed. That was my point about Coach Flo bringing it from New England. Coach Flo should have known that before, and since the defense stunk and the offense was the best part of the team in year 1, it kinda made no sense he would fire the OC. It appears Ross may have told him we cannot accept this, so someone needs to be let go, and the OC was the scape goat. But, if we do this again, we dang sure need to learn our lesson and NOT make the same stupid mistake again by asking players who are not willing to put in the grind and mental work to memorize this stuff to badly execute it. Either do not add this layer of complexity, or get players who can execute it. Making the same mistake twice in such a short amount of time would be ludicrous.

Fortunately, I think Grier has a good handle on what the players on the roster can and will do. If they can't learn the complexity or aren't willing to put in the extra time to master it, then surely he will not make the same mistake twice. Fingers crossed.

No evidence, but I think you've hit on a key factor in Flo's decisions - commitment, work ethic, intensity, call it what you want. He wants players who are as committed as he is. Yes, they have to be good, but committed too. Was that the reason for the previous OC's exit? No idea, but that's my read.

I suspect he'll be looking for that commitment during OC interviews. Canada? No idea.

Yeah not sure what happened to the offense as a whole the last 3-4 games. I don’t know if Chan just ran out of plays or what, but it seemed as if all of the fun wrinkles (besides Lynn Bowden QB/WR) were gone.

What really put me in the fire Gailey camp was the red zone playcalling. Between the 20’s stuff was meh, but the red zone play calls were truly horrible. The one series against the bengals where we went power run, power run, fade was about as opposite as you could call a game for this roster
Well..in Chan's defense...it takes a good while to chisel new plays onto stone tablets...

I wonder if Schottenheimer might make a late appearance on the list. Russell Wilson was not happy about his firing, and has since made noises about wanting to be involved in the OC selection. This is a classic sign of a QB who is losing faith in his head coach, but does not want to out and out disagree with the man.

Unfortunately, I think that may be EXACTLY what we are doing here...

I still believe that Flores hoped Chan would stick around for one more year so that 1) We we not looking at a new coordinator 5 years in a row, and 2) So that one of our in-house candidates had more time to grow into the role.

My guess is that Chan just got tired of the negativity and said, to Hell with it... retirement was nice. LOL

We'll never really know however... so let's hope that whatever we do is a good decision.
You may be right. I don’t get that vibe, at least from the candidates list. Canada, McDaniel and Elliott are outside the box names at the current time. All of which would be “gambles for greatness” as they’re unproven as NFL OC’s.

Obviously Elliott is out and McDaniel looks to be staying put in SF. If we end up going Godsey/Stud, it’s all for not. But I do believe Canada is a real player here, and ironically, is somewhat similar to Chan in play design

Yeah, it seemed Chan had a choice of two plays in the RZ - run between the tackles and fade.

No evidence, but I think you've hit on a key factor in Flo's decisions - commitment, work ethic, intensity, call it what you want. He wants players who are as committed as he is. Yes, they have to be good, but committed too. Was that the reason for the previous OC's exit? No idea, but that's my read.

I suspect he'll be looking for that commitment during OC interviews. Canada? No idea.
Agreed on Coach Flo wanting commitment. The Takes No Talent (TNT) board they would have to run from practice, slap, and run back every time they made a mental error.

I don't know the reason the OC was let go, but I didn't hear anything about him not being committed. What I did hear was that the team balked at learning his extensive and complex playbook, then he paired it down, then he paired it down again. Fitz is very bright for a QB, and he got it quickly and helped the rest of the team learn it. After the customary 5'ish games it takes to learn a new offense (as Adam Gase so eloquently explained years ago), the offense really started to improve. By the end of the year, Fitzmagic and the offense was definitely the better unit compared to the very very bad defense. But, Coach Flo is supposed to be the defensive guru, so he wasn't going to fire himself.

Not really sure why the OC was let go, but there is usually pressure from the owner to fire SOMEONE because they tend to want to hold the Coach accountable and force him to improve rather than keep the status quo of a sinking ship. So it might have just been a scapegoat since Coach Flo was not going to fire himself. Regardless, after the huge FA infusion we became a good defense. Of course, that included pairing the formerly highest paid CB in the NFL, Xavien Howard, with the new highest paid CB in the NFL, Byron Jones, and adding a big-time star edge LB in Kyle Van Noy to run the thing and teach the youngsters, and then going after two expensive (but not super-expensive) pass rushers in Emmanuel Ogbah (great addition!) and Shaq Lawson (OK addition). That's a big time FA acquisition at every level ... two at DL. Then we also spent a 1st round pick on a CB, Noah Igbinoghene, who had a rough rookie season, but hopefully will improve moving forward.

So, maybe the old OC didn't really get a fair shake. Adjusting to a complex offense takes time, which is why I think we need to remember that when looking at potentially our next complex offense.

Last warning family. Don't continue the hate Tua if you are not going to support your statement and it is relation to the topic at hand.

Back
Top Bottom