Matt Canada offense | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Canada offense

Great post! Misdirection, motion, disguise, and offensive strategies in football are meant to put the offenses in the best position to succeed. They are also there to disguise weakness as well. The
offensive play calling for Miami at times seem very predictable. Starting off running the ball twice, and passing on third downs. Then when the game is on the line we would abandon
the run, and shift into heavy passing just to go back, and abandon the scheme that was getting us to earn positive yardage. No matter who was the QB, we seemed to follow this
pattern a lot. We needed a set of fresh eyes anyways, and McDaniel seems to be a good choice thus far if we want our team to have success offensively.

McDaniel would be a nice get but it seems he'll be OC with SF which leaves us with Canada and uncle Fester? Also saw that Canada wouldn't have even talked to us if Pitt wanted him as their OC but don't know if that's true or not.

Agreed on Coach Flo wanting commitment. The Takes No Talent (TNT) board they would have to run from practice, slap, and run back every time they made a mental error.

I don't know the reason the OC was let go, but I didn't hear anything about him not being committed. What I did hear was that the team balked at learning his extensive and complex playbook, then he paired it down, then he paired it down again. Fitz is very bright for a QB, and he got it quickly and helped the rest of the team learn it. After the customary 5'ish games it takes to learn a new offense (as Adam Gase so eloquently explained years ago), the offense really started to improve. By the end of the year, Fitzmagic and the offense was definitely the better unit compared to the very very bad defense. But, Coach Flo is supposed to be the defensive guru, so he wasn't going to fire himself.

Not really sure why the OC was let go, but there is usually pressure from the owner to fire SOMEONE because they tend to want to hold the Coach accountable and force him to improve rather than keep the status quo of a sinking ship. So it might have just been a scapegoat since Coach Flo was not going to fire himself. Regardless, after the huge FA infusion we became a good defense. Of course, that included pairing the formerly highest paid CB in the NFL, Xavien Howard, with the new highest paid CB in the NFL, Byron Jones, and adding a big-time star edge LB in Kyle Van Noy to run the thing and teach the youngsters, and then going after two expensive (but not super-expensive) pass rushers in Emmanuel Ogbah (great addition!) and Shaq Lawson (OK addition). That's a big time FA acquisition at every level ... two at DL. Then we also spent a 1st round pick on a CB, Noah Igbinoghene, who had a rough rookie season, but hopefully will improve moving forward.

So, maybe the old OC didn't really get a fair shake. Adjusting to a complex offense takes time, which is why I think we need to remember that when looking at potentially our next complex offense.

Can't disagree, but I can't believe he was fired for poor O performance.

I am a huge fan of misdirection, motion, disguise, etc.

The more you make the defense think, the more likely they make a mistake.

Of course, your offensive personnel have to be able to execute..
Yah mon, also slows them down.

I'm for the signing of Canada so's I can rehash all my Bob and Doug McKenzie jokes...

I'm not a Canada fan. When he was at U-Pitt and doing some things with the fly sweeps and pre-snap movement, it was intriguing. That intrigue wore off the more i saw it along the way at LSU and Maryland, seeing tricks used to counter it and how good teams were able to shut it down.

To me it ended up being a lot of pre-snap window dressing with post-snap ehh. There's a LOT of movement, which can have a negative effect on the offense, with guys over-thinking it, confusion amongst themselves and pre-snap penalties (2 guys moving, extended time the OL in their stance, etc. It can lead to little time left before the snap for audibles as well. Now maybe it was too complicated for the college player who has less practice time and experience to understand it. I guess we'll see next year in Pitt. I just prefer an offense like Sarkisian ran at Bama where he still had motion and plays to get guys like Smith open but didn't have to move 8 guys pre-snap to do it. I saw the Packers do it with Adams yesterday to free him up from Ramsey. There's something in the middle of no motion and Matt Canada that works better imo.

If Tua is the future to this front office, the OC should be tailor made for him. Anything less is a strategic failure.

Back
Top Bottom