Matt Jones to Baltimore at 22? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Jones to Baltimore at 22?

I hope the Dolphins draft nothing but offense this whole draft. Forget about defense and just choose all offense.

caneaddict said:
:eek: :fire:

Wow. Apparently I'm not the only one who is shocked by his skills. I've been sitting here the past few weeks watching his highlights (that sick one handed catch) and looking at his stats. I kept feeling like something has to be wrong with me because in my opinion he is going to flat dominate and how the heck will he fall to the end of the 1st (either I'm crazy or the whole league is crazy-obviously I thought I was crazy), but this makes me feel more sane. There as NEVER been anyone in the league with his combination of size/speed along with natural athletic talent.

Well this might mean that we don't get Matt Jones but if he goes top 10 I'll be happy. If he goes at the end of the 1st and it's not to us .... I'll really cry. For anyone that doubts him, all I want to know is - how do you cover him?

you can't

and that's exactly why i want him so much. the fact that he's big and white is a huge advantage since even though they might have seen his 40 times CB's are still going to think he's slower than that and will get burned when trying to cover him. imagine this guy lining up with Chambers and Booker..................:drool: :drool: :drool:

Still asking again. Where is the members forum? Boomer said there's lots of good draft info there.

caneaddict said:
Still asking again. Where is the members forum? Boomer said there's lots of good draft info there.

Ask Muck or AJ.

Why? Is it some secret place here on the site. Invite only?

if thats the case then the WR corps are horriable this year..I wouldn,t take jones in the 1st round at all. If i had 3 #1,s .I willl.

I don't know exactly when I came to this conclusion, but Matt Jones has broken not only into my top ten talents in the draft, but also I believe my top 5 talents. He's damn close to being number one.

The reason people do not believe, is because of conventional wisdom.

I've got news though. When you have a 6'6" 240 pound guy who runs a 4.37, has a 39.5 inch vertical leap, had one of the fastest 10 yard split times at the combine, and has the concentration and natural talent to not only fail to drop a single ball at the Senior Bowl in his first experience as a WR, but to also make one-handed catches...

I'm sorry, but you toss conventional wisdom aside. Here's something to put this in perspective. The NFL has never seen Matt Jones. And by that, I mean, they've never seen anyone LIKE Matt Jones. There has NEVER, EVER, been a guy as tall as Jones and as fast as Jones. Never. Not in the hundred plus years of american football.

Someone on this board once said that the top end of the draft where we pick should be reserved for top QBs, and physical freaks of nature. Guess what, Matt Jones is that physical freak of nature.

If we traded down to #7 with Minnesota, I would be VERY hard pressed not to take Matt Jones. He is the kind of talent that comes along once in...well, once in NEVER...since he's the first one.

It would be one thing if the guy couldn't catch a cold in a high wind, but the guy literally caught every pass thrown his way at the Senior Bowl, and if you've seen the highlights, he also made a dazzling one-handed catch on a deep fade in the endzone where he got the corner running full speed because of how incredibly fast Jones is, then he adjusted on an underthrown ball and pulled in the pass with one hand. The corner didn't have a chance.

Take him years to learn the pro game? Yeah, probably will take him a few years to realize his FULL POTENTIAL. But that full potential, roughly speaking, is better than Randy Moss when Moss is trying hard. I liken it to basketball. When you've got a big 7 foot dude, he doesn't need to be all that skilled to be able to dominate inside against smaller opponents.

DonShula84 said:
I wouldnt want him at 18 to be honest. Id rather take Clayton if we are looking for a WR. That just seems to high for a guy who never played the position before. I like Jones, think he will do well, but he is still a gamble.
Never played the position before??? He was recruited out of highschool as a wide reciever!!! He is a wide out by trade turned QB because arkansas had absolutlely no talent at that position. :confused:

ckparrothead said:
I don't know exactly when I came to this conclusion, but Matt Jones has broken not only into my top ten talents in the draft, but also I believe my top 5 talents. He's damn close to being number one.

I've got news though. When you have a 6'6" 240 pound guy who runs a 4.37, has a 39.5 inch vertical leap, had one of the fastest 10 yard split times at the combine, and has the concentration and natural talent to not only fail to drop a single ball at the Senior Bowl in his first experience as a WR, but to also make one-handed catches...

I'm sorry, but you toss conventional wisdom aside. Here's something to put this in perspective. The NFL has never seen Matt Jones. And by that, I mean, they've never seen anyone LIKE Matt Jones. There has NEVER, EVER, been a guy as tall as Jones and as fast as Jones. Never. Not in the hundred plus years of american football.

Someone on this board once said that the top end of the draft where we pick should be reserved for top QBs, and physical freaks of nature. Guess what, Matt Jones is that physical freak of nature.

If we traded down to #7 with Minnesota, I would be VERY hard pressed not to take Matt Jones. He is the kind of talent that comes along once in...well, once in NEVER...since he's the first one.

It would be one thing if the guy couldn't catch a cold in a high wind, but the guy literally caught every pass thrown his way at the Senior Bowl, and if you've seen the highlights, he also made a dazzling one-handed catch on a deep fade in the endzone where he got the corner running full speed because of how incredibly fast Jones is, then he adjusted on an underthrown ball and pulled in the pass with one hand. The corner didn't have a chance.

Take him years to learn the pro game? Yeah, probably will take him a few years to realize his FULL POTENTIAL. But that full potential, roughly speaking, is better than Randy Moss when Moss is trying hard. I liken it to basketball. When you've got a big 7 foot dude, he doesn't need to be all that skilled to be able to dominate inside against smaller opponents.

We have a talent that plays in britain who is 6 feet 9 inches- I think he plays on the O Line, but i aint so sure about that--word is that he is touted to play in NFL in future--i try to find out more for you guys--we also have a talented reciever in Ed MC Creadie who is playing in the NFL Europe at the mo--cant remember who he plays for but he had 9 catches for over 100 yards this w/end(Admirals maybe). he not quick but very smart and tough--Also think he has Superbowl ring when on Patriots squad

ckparrothead said:

Perfectly said. You and I are, I think, the biggest Matt Jones fans around (except maybe his parents - but I'm not sure of that ;) ). You've said exactly what I have been thinking. The only reason I wanted to take Matt at the end of the 1st wass because I thought that's where he would go. But, I would take him anywhere in this draft. I've said all along - the only must have in this draft is Matt Jones (there's alot of other guys I would like but he's an absolute must have). Guaranteed he's good for double digit TD's every year.

People question if he'll be able to pick up good route running skills. Well Randy Moss doesn't run routes at all, he just runs a fly pattern every down (on other routes he's a decoy so he doesn't actually run, more like loafs around waiting for the next play).

I felt this strongly about Moss when he came out and am still pissed JJ traded down that morning (especially after he said he wouldn't have taken him anyway).

caneaddict said:
Perfectly said. You and I are, I think, the biggest Matt Jones fans around (except maybe his parents - but I'm not sure of that ;) ). You've said exactly what I have been thinking. The only reason I wanted to take Matt at the end of the 1st is because I thought that's where he would go. But, I would take him anywhere in this draft. I've said all along - the only mst have in this draft is Matt Jones (there's alot of other guys I would like but he's an absolute must have). Guaranteed he's good for double digit TD's every year.

People question if he'll be able to pick up good route running skills. Well Randy Moss doesn't run routes at all, he just runs a fly pattern every down (on other routes he's a decoy so he doesn't actually run, more like loafs around waiting for the next play).

With a guy that big he could chuck it to himself and catch it

JJT said:
Never played the position before??? He was recruited out of highschool as a wide reciever!!! He is a wide out by trade turned QB because arkansas had absolutlely no talent at that position. :confused:

I dont know what he played in high school, but in college him never playing WR other than in the Senior Bowl worries me a bit. I know he has all the athletic ability in the world, and I think he will make the transition to WR and be productive in the NFL, but for us at 18 I think he is to much of a risk.

Whitedolphin54 said:
We have a talent that plays in britain who is 6 feet 9 inches- I think he plays on the O Line, but i aint so sure about that--word is that he is touted to play in NFL in future--i try to find out more for you guys--we also have a talented reciever in Ed MC Creadie who is playing in the NFL Europe at the mo--cant remember who he plays for but he had 9 catches for over 100 yards this w/end(Admirals maybe). he not quick but very smart and tough--Also think he has Superbowl ring when on Patriots squad

A 6 foot 9 O-Lineman is very different from a 6 6'1/4 WR with Jones' meaurables and intangibles.

caneaddict said:
Perfectly said. You and I are, I think, the biggest Matt Jones fans around (except maybe his parents - but I'm not sure of that ;) ). You've said exactly what I have been thinking. The only reason I wanted to take Matt at the end of the 1st wass because I thought that's where he would go. But, I would take him anywhere in this draft. I've said all along - the only must have in this draft is Matt Jones (there's alot of other guys I would like but he's an absolute must have). Guaranteed he's good for double digit TD's every year.

I felt this strongly about Moss when he came out and am still pissed JJ traded down that morning (especially after he said he wouldn't have taken him anyway).

are you saying that R Moss isn't talented, just big

Back
Top Bottom