Matt Jones to Baltimore at 22? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Jones to Baltimore at 22?

Whitedolphin54 said:
are you saying that R Moss isn't talented, just big

Heck no. Moss is amazingly talented. In my opinion he has the potential to be the greatest WR ever if he just put in the work. Can you imagine Moss with Rice's work ethic? :eek:

That's how good I believe Matt Jones could be though. That height along with that speed, it just can't be underestimated in the NFL because we're talking about a position where height and speed can MAKE you or break you. I doubt there's any such thing as a dominant slow and short WR. There's plenty short and fast guys that end up good, tall and slower guys that end up good, but there's really never been the tall AND fast guy that has Jones' height. I mean, Moss is pretty much the closest thing at 6'4" with the sub-4.4 speed that he has. That is what makes Moss such a good receiver, why they always keep saying he's got such unbelievable physical gifts. But, Jones is even taller, has just as good vertical, is just as fast, and the only question is, does he have Moss' hands? I doubt he does, although his hands were certainly showcased at the Senior Bowl, but he doesn't really NEED Randy's hands to be great, because he's even bigger and even better running with the ball in his hands (he did it so much as a QB). Think Terrell Owens meets Randy Moss, now make him 2 inches taller.

ckparrothead said:
That's how good I believe Matt Jones could be though. That height along with that speed, it just can't be underestimated in the NFL because we're talking about a position where height and speed can MAKE you or break you. I doubt there's any such thing as a dominant slow and short WR. There's plenty short and fast guys that end up good, tall and slower guys that end up good, but there's really never been the tall AND fast guy that has Jones' height. I mean, Moss is pretty much the closest thing at 6'4" with the sub-4.4 speed that he has. That is what makes Moss such a good receiver, why they always keep saying he's got such unbelievable physical gifts. But, Jones is even taller, has just as good vertical, is just as fast, and the only question is, does he have Moss' hands? I doubt he does, although his hands were certainly showcased at the Senior Bowl, but he doesn't really NEED Randy's hands to be great, because he's even bigger and even better running with the ball in his hands (he did it so much as a QB). Think Terrell Owens meets Randy Moss, now make him 2 inches taller.

I would have to disagree with you a bit there. Randy Moss supposedly run's in the low 4.2's. One of his college coaches said he has Olympic sprinting speed. I think Randy is faster than Jones. However, Jones is PLENTY fast enough to be an all-pro.

Post from NFLDRAFT05.COM

I know the rules and will not post the whole thing but here is part of the artical that intrigued me:

MATT JONES (6'6" 237) WR/TE ARKANSAS – However, Jones has been much more impressive during workouts at the receiver position, and considering how Antonio Gates was able to develop with no college experience, it is not a stretch to think that Jones could emerge in a similar fashion, and has a head start at understanding the receiving game from his QB experience. Jones has impressed scouts with his ability to disengage at the line and has shown good awareness, and good (but not yet great) route running. The consensus is that Jones will need a year or two to develop, although Antonio Gates became a factor by the end of the rookie season. The consensus is that Jones will definitely be taken in the first two rounds, and could even make the end of Round 1. Although there is some risk, the potential reward is much higher.
My question to people here is if we can get two first rounders (i.e. Minni 7 & 18) and with the 18th pick the Fins picked this kid up, would there really be that many people here upset with a pick that high on a guy like this? I have only watched what people have posted about him in highlights, I never watched any of his games but the thought of having a potential weapon on my team is very tempting. I'd like to read other people's opinion on this. Thanks.

Obviously there will be at least 2 happy people: me and ckparrothead. Right now It's starting to look like he may not be there at 18 (I'm assuming he probably will).

As much as I would love to have him, I don't think Saban will take him. My reasoning is based on how highly Saban has talked about Jones. If you really like a guy you don't drive up his stock by complimenting him so much. I would understand a couple of nice praises (otherwise if you never mention a really good player then that may tip people off that you do like him and everyone knows Saban played against him). But, outside of the initial quotes about Matt Jones, Saban specifically spent a significant amount of time at the press conference talking about Jones. I was shocked how much time he devoted to praising Jones at the press conference. There's no way he talks about him THAT much if he really wants him.

I like Jones but top 12 is a little nutty. Im not going to believe that until I see it. A player with question marks as to what position he will play taken at 12? Seems outrageous but he is a remarkable talent. I wouldnt take him in the first round unless I was a team like Philly or New England that could afford to waste that pick if he doesnt work out or could wait for him if he takes a year or two to develop. Draft should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom