Matt Jones | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Jones

Dubfire said:
:yes: You make a great point.

First round is too high though. And in our situation, we can't afford to miss.

There I agree with you. But if we do get a 2nd rd for surtain and Matt is there in the 2nd rd I would love to have him. Listen I have been paying a lot of attention to this guy... I have read a lot of reports about him from people who were at the senior bowl, I recorded the game and saw the way he ran his routes and also how much separation he created between himself and the DB. He has natural abilities catching the ball.

NorthFloridaFin said:
I just can't comprehend what people see in this guy. True, he may be big and fast, but that is it. Why would some people want us to waste a draft pick on this guy, who is nothing more than a project, when we've got alot more needs to fill than a QB turned WR.

He's the flavor of the week, I guess. I don't want to say he will be a bust, because I wish that on no one, but I would not draft him.

Dubfire said:
:yes: You make a great point.

First round is too high though. And in our situation, we can't afford to miss.

Agree. Number #2 overall would be totally absurd, even if we received a later 1st round pick in trade I think thats too high. He probaly wont do anything for a year or more so he's not a 1st rounder IMO. Now a really good team like Philly, NE, etc might want to risk the pick since they will be good no matter who they take in the 1st round. I probaly wouldnt spend a 2nd on him either, maybe but probaly not. 3rd round would be a fair risk though. Im sure someone will take him in the late 1st-2nd round so we won't have a shot at him. Im thinking a guy like Mike Martz will pounce on him early.

Matt Jones is more than just an athlete. He is a football player. The clips of him at the combine with tight man to man coverage is what sold me. He did three routes, two over the middle and he ran the route great and then went long and skied like Ornade gadsden to one hand a pass that was in the clouds. That did it for me. The dude knows football and another thing, as a QB you have to know all the WR's routes, well, I dont think he will have problem there. The dude is 6'6 and runs a 4.37/40 and caught everything. What do I see in this guy? I see a guy who could be the next Jerry Rice except he is much much taller. You have got to be kidding me right? The next thing you know, The Patriots will be drafting him at #32.

Matt Jones is potentially uncoverable at WR. I wanna see a typical NFL cornerback cover a guy who runs a 4.4, can jump through the roof, and is over 6 foot 6. You create all kinds of matchup problems with Jones. You see how reliable Tony Gonzalez is at tight end? -- Trent Green can throw to him anytime, all day. Matt Jones can be that kind of player at WR.

NorthFloridaFin said:
I just can't comprehend what people see in this guy. True, he may be big and fast, but that is it. Why would some people want us to waste a draft pick on this guy, who is nothing more than a project, when we've got alot more needs to fill than a QB turned WR.

Well, as Nick Saban said, he won more games for his team than any other individual in the SEC, he not only is big and fast, he has great hands, did you see the Senior Bowl?

He bigger, faster and may have better hands than Randy Moss and you wonder why anyone would want to spend a second rounder on him?

Dubfire said:
He is a wonderful athlete. There's no question about that. Does that make him a great football player? NO!! He has never played a down of WR n his entire college career!!

With all due respect... Matt Jones is one HELLUVA FOOTBALL PLAYER, who ran THROUGH and AWAY FROM some of the very best, most athletic defenses in the country in the SEC the past few years! He's been virtually unstopable! Most of the time he'll run right by everybody, but he won't hesitate to put his head down and dive for a first down or touchdown! I think Saban agrees with you and wanting "FOOTBALL PLAYERS" on his teams, that's why HE is so high on Matt Jones!!!!!

finfansince72 said:
Ever heard of Antonio Gates? Thats why a lot of scouts are high on Jones. Both are great athletes that are huge mismatches on the football field. Both were great athletes that didnt play huge time at projected positions in college. If Jones can become that type of player he would be a complete steal in the 2nd or 3rd round. Funny how Brees was mediocre until he had a freakish mismatch player to count on to move the football. The NFL is a copycat league so its not shocking that scouts are looking to basketball players or other positions to create the next mismatch player like Gates. Jones has been impressive working out and playing as a Wr, the scouts arent stupid they arent just basing their impressions on 40times and his size, he's impressed them catching the ball and as a player.
You draft players high because of upside, there arent very many players, if any, with as much upside as Jones in the draft. Hes a risk, he could be a bust but if he works out he could be great and thats the risk a lot of teams will have to take.

Exactly...you got it...Matt Jones would create a lot of mismatches!!! He has great upside...no doubt. This kid could really be something special.

Go Fins!!!

Scott Frost .He was a great safty...Wake up people..If made a one hand catch.Does,nt make you a star.Lets see when he has pads,and a helmet on...

kingfin said:
Scott Frost .He was a great safty...Wake up people..If made a one hand catch.Does,nt make you a star.Lets see when he has pads,and a helmet on...

Well um...just in case you didn't know...Matt Jones did wear pads and a helmet at Arkansas!!! This kid is a rare talent...he may be rough around the edges and a little raw but with experience and a good coaching staff...this kid could shine and as others have stated...he creates huge mismatches on the field.

Go Fins!!!

Sal Lisitano said:
Well um...just in case you didn't know...Matt Jones did wear pads and a helmet at Arkansas!!! This kid is a rare talent...he may be rough around the edges and a little raw but with experience and a good coaching staff...this kid could shine and as others have stated...he creates huge mismatches on the field.

Go Fins!!!
He was a QB.Them player dont make it.He will get drafted.Im thinking 4th round.

This is what Vic Carruci wrote on NFL.com a few days ago:

2. Matt Jones, wide receiver, Arkansas

Comments: No player's stock has risen faster ... Impressive on-campus workouts have caused him to go from an intriguing quarterback-turned-receiver to a highly talented playmaker with off-the-chart athletic ability that should be selected no lower than the middle of the second round ... Some teams see him as a natural fit as an H-back/tight end while others project him as a slot receiver ... Excellent hands, superb size (6-6 and 241 pounds) and strength ... Quarterback experience should enhance his capacity to learn how to run routes.

my reasoning for seeing Matt getting pick up is that he is a ATHLETE... the guy is big an fast and has proven he has a pure talent.... I think sabans mentallity is to get the best players available and if he sees him on the board... I would like...he would scoop him up....he's a good athlete that we could use in various locations... we could run trick plays with him... we could tighten him up at end and widen him out & we could have him throw catch... he's a great problem to have.... just my opinon

What ever happens, he will be fun to watch. I would love for us to pick him up so I can keep an eye on him. I of course dont want to spend too much on him. A team like Philly, with a creative O coordinator and a few holes to fill will get him. He will most likely turn out to be an effective weapon for someone who knows how to utilize his mismatch.

He will, however, wither away and die if he is put on a team with any of the OC's that we have had since Gary "Chicken Salad" Stevens.

Speaking as an Arkansan...Jones would do something every week in practice that would just blow everyone away. Most of the time he was playing receiver when this would happen as he would make some impossible catch. My point, Matt Jones has plenty of practice time at receiver. It will not all be new to him.

Also, why would you take the potentially fastest guy on your team and play him at TE? Jones creates plenty of matchup problems at WR with shorter CB's.

Back
Top Bottom