Matt Moore | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Moore

2a5c1md-1.jpg

Haha great pic .... so true for a lot of these guys.

I am sick of hearing that Moore's good games don't mean much because he beat bad teams. Just because a team is bad doesn't mean that they aren't competition.

Look at the Giants. They were swept by the Redskins this year, yet we obliterated them. I'm not saying that we're better than the Giants, but the Redskins are certainly decent competition if they can sweep the Superbowl Champs.

doesn't instill confidence that Moore has the ability to consistently win against decent teams

This is what is left to accomplish to eliminate doubt.

However, one thing he showed us in 2011 was that he wouldn't play down to the level of bad competition we faced, which we saw time and time again with a certain previous QB. Defense came up with stops and turnover, he put points on the board and visa versa. His resume with the Panthers is not quite so simplistic. The guy suffered a concussion in the first week of the year in 2010. The Panthers were dreadful, not to mention were giving Clausen reps in games and by around Week 6 Moore had already suffered a torn labrum.

Considering Moore was late to join the Dolphins and did not get any 1st team reps (due to Sparano's incompetence) it took him time to get familiar with the starting unit. The progression of his play speaks pretty clearly as the season went on.

This is a pivotal year for the man. I don't know many backup QB's that get inserted after a starting QB goes down and end up elected team MVP by his peers. There won't be any excuses left if he doesn't put up a quality record vs. better teams this year.

Matt Moore has started 35 games in the Nfl
Moore has won only 4 games against teams that ended the season
with winning records. Two of those wins came on the last games of the season
with Tampa in 2007 and New Orleans of 2009 where both teams rested most of their starters

2011 Moore didn't beat a team that ended the season with a winning record
2010 Moore didn't beat a team that ended the season with a winning record
2009 Moore beat 2 teams that ended with a winning record including New Orleans who sat starters
the last game of the regular season
2008 didn't play
2007 Moore beat 2 teams that ended with winning records including
Tampa who rested many of their normal starters, including QB Jeff Garcia, RB Earnest Graham and WR Joey Galloway
the last game of the regular season

Much could be said that Moore played for crappy teams
or was Moore part of the reason those teams were crappy?

2007 Carolina was 7-9
2008 Carolina was 12-4 but Moore didn't play in any games
2009 Carolina was 8-8
2010 Carolina was 2-14
2011 Miami was 6-10

Beating 2 teams that ended with winning records in 5 years
with another 2 wins against teams that had rested their starters
doesn't instill confidence that Moore has the ability to consistently win against decent teams

Yeah, not the only problem, but the first one with all of this is that Moore started 25 games but appeared in 35. Factually he made each of his bad to terrible teams better for the period of time he was starting those years. Even when Carolina ended up going 2-14, he was 1-4 before he was pulled by a lame duck coach. To put that into perspective, a seemingly upgraded 2011 Panthers team with upgrades including 2 studly TEs and having the benefit of Cam Newton's mobility, still only won 2 games through their first 12 - Cam having a worse record than Moore who precededed him. Also during Moore's last stretch, it's true he didn't beat any winning teams but he did beat teams with over a .400 winning percentage: that's the same last 9 game record as Matt Ryan who only beat the Titans as a winning team who only became one based on a game 16 last minute fluke play... and ended up beating teams during that period with less than a .350 winning percentage Also over the last 9 games of the Bengals season, Andy Dalton actually went 4-5, again the only winning team he beat was also the Titans.

I know it's not apples to apples and there's no comparison, but just for grins I checked out Peyton Manning's first 25 games and whaddya know.. he beat all of 3 winning teams during that first starting stretch. Bottom line: yeah it's troubling that he fumbles more than he should (also troubling that Carey and Columbo were protecting him, and a concern that he hasn't beaten any winning teams since getting his sea legs under him, but last I looked he did as well as Ryan, and better than Sanchez and Dalton over the last 9 games beating comparable competition and I don't see any of those 3 guys being taken to task.

An argument can be made that Moore actually made bad-miserable teams better when he started:

148n6nr-1.jpg

Agree the comments got what the originator started.Seems like we all agree Matt Moore is a very good backup and possibly will get extended sometime during the season.He is not that old and can hold the fort as a backup or simply outperforms Garrard. My first comment may be off that Garrard does possibly make the team but does his salary dictate he's a number 2 or at 3 Mil he's the number 1.Garrard simply is older than Moore and Tannehill and could be not saying he will but be the odd man out at 3 mil.You just don't find very good backups all the time like Moore just to sign him to a backup salary and then trade him or let him walk then again look for another backup.

I'm tired of the Matt Moore bashing.The guy earns a extension for several more years to be Tannehill's backup next year.You'll have a good one two punch for 3 or 4 seasons until Moore moves on.David Garrard is the one who gets cut first..

Last time I checked Garrard is the only qb on the roster that has seen a pro bowl! If he can stay healthy the job will be his to lose because he is better right now then either Moore or Tannehill.

Last time I checked Garrard is the only qb on the roster that has seen a pro bowl! If he can stay healthy the job will be his to lose because he is better right now then either Moore or Tannehill.

Then reality set in.

Ya, the league was just beating down Garrard's door to hand him a starting job that's his to lose after missing an entire year with back problems at the spry age of 34.

Last edited by a moderator:
For most of the 2011 season, the Dolphins started Matt Moore who posted the ninth-highest PFF pass rating at (+13.2). To bring in competition for Moore, Miami added our fifth-ranked free agent quarterback–a player who graded among our Top 12 quarterbacks between 2008 and 2010–David Garrard. While only one will win the starting job, whoever it is could be the Dolphins’ Secret Superstar in 2012, affording Tannehill the time to develop and making the most of a talented squad of players.

Moore’s Path to Miami

Moore was picked up as an undrafted free agent by the Dallas Cowboys in 2007 after starting two years at Oregon State. The Cowboys cut him with the intention of making him a practice squad player, but Carolina brought him to their active roster. The Panthers used Vinny Testaverde, David Carr, and Jake Delhomme before giving Moore a chance in the last three starts of the season. In those games he threw for 564 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions.

With Delhomme entrenched as the starter, Moore would have to wait until 2009 to get another shot when he took over for the last five games. While he was solid in that stretch when the offensive line did their job (averaging 8.7 yards per attempt), that number fell to 4.4 when he faced pressure.

In 2010, the Panthers ended the Delhomme era, and drafted the eventual starter in Jimmy Clausen. While Moore led the huddle to open the season, it took just two games (and an Accuracy Percentage of an abysmal 61.4%) to summon the beginning the Clausen Era. The Panthers went back to Moore for three games midseason, but a shoulder injury ended his year and his run in Carolina.

He was added to the Dolphins’ roster prior to 2011 as an unrestricted free agent backup to Chad Henne. A separated shoulder took Henne down in Week 4, and the Dolphins couldn’t find a replacement, so the job went to Moore. It took a few weeks to find his rhythm with the offense, but having a second chance was clearly what he needed to turn his play around. He had the best game of his career in the Dolphins’ first win of the season against the Chiefs. The offensive line allowed just one pressure, which helped Moore throw for 10.6 yards per attempt and three touchdowns.

For the rest of the season, you wouldn’t confuse Moore with an elite quarterback, but he was consistently playing above average football with a positive PFF rating in 10 of 13 games. He had an Accuracy Percentage of 66.2% when under pressure; bested only by Eli Manning and Drew Brees. He was also the AFC’s most accurate passer on deep throws with 47.5% of his attempts hitting the target.

Everyone wants an elite quarterback, but having an above average starter is a lot better than the alternative. Over the second half of the season, Moore became that guy.

For the other half about Garrard go to:http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ar-matt-mooredavid-garrard-qb-miami-dolphins/

Matt Moore elevated the play of sorry teams at every stop he's been at. And he's healthy, and younger.

david garrbage was a boat anchor around the Jags' necks. Then he got hurt.

There is NO WAY garrbage is $3 Million better than Matt Moore. Signing garrbage was ireland's last (and one of his biggest)mistake before getting it right and drafting Tannehill.

When you don't have a 300 yard passing game all season it's obvious that you weren't asked to do too much. I think the broncos were the only team with a more unbalanced run pass ratio than us last season. moore is a game manager, nothing more. If the Bears had him last season to fill in the time before the playoffs and when Cutlers finger would be healed, the bears might have been the super bowl champs. Even though Yates did fairly well, moore might have been able to guide that team past the ravens since the texans are pretty stacked everywhere except WR if you don't count Andre Johnson.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

maybe a sign and trade? i dont think we'd get enough to risk being stuck with him. Get him out of here so we can knock off this stupid homerism about a guy with limited skill.

First of all, i agree with the people who think Moore deserves credit for what he did under the circumstances and that some of the bashing is ridiculous. I dont think anyone thinks Moore is a long term starter/franchise qb in this league. I personally think Garrard will beat him out for the starting job this year but Matt Moore is a great backup QB. Alot of good backups are athletic game manager type QBs. He needs to stop turning the ball over but hes a valuable backup to have in my opinion. Not alot of backups will play as well as he did under a terrible coaching staff with a terrible philosophy and a divided locker room. Moore stepped up and made some plays, he kept us in games. He lost games and he also won them. Moore is an ideal backup QB. Clearly a starting QB is more important than a backup but dont overlook the backup positions importance. One hit could knock a QB out for 5 weeks and if you have Curtis Painter as your backup your in some deep ****.

Also, how did we have the most unbalanced pass/run ratio? We had 469 rushing plays and our QBs attempted 469 passes..............

That seems like a pretty balanced pass/run ratio to me. How do you come up with we were one of the most unbalanced teams???

Back
Top Bottom