Matt Roth - Patrick Surtain | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Roth - Patrick Surtain

Dolfan2788

Melubulongtime
Reaction score
For those of you that are wondering why we traded Surtiain.
All is my opinion of course.

1. We traded him to relieve cap room.
2. We traded him so that we could get something for him instead of just letting him walk next season.
3. We got 7 great years out of him in his prime and traded him away for the exact same pick we drafted him at. Number #70 overall.

I see no problems with the trade. We relieved cap room, got an up and coming player who is willing to work and has a non-stop motor, and we got the pick back from which we drafted him at. We also got his services for the prime of his career.

Didn't we draft him for a second rounder? Which would be like the 46th pick?

We got him in the second round, but got the pick from Carolina (I think) for our first in the following year.

If we get 7-8 really good years out of Roth to think of it this way. We could have 15 years out of a 2nd rounder. Who knows if that'll happen but if Roth makes the probowl once then were getting a lot of time out of one 2nd round pick hehe.

edit: Crap I forgot we traded our 1st for that 2nd. Well there goes that rose colored theory ;p

Dolfan2788 said:
For those of you that are wondering why we traded Surtiain.
All is my opinion of course.

1. We traded him to relieve cap room.
2. We traded him so that we could get something for him instead of just letting him walk next season.
3. We got 7 great years out of him in his prime and traded him away for the exact same pick we drafted him at. Number #70 overall.

I see no problems with the trade. We relieved cap room, got an up and coming player who is willing to work and has a non-stop motor, and we got the pick back from which we drafted him at. We also got his services for the prime of his career.

you forgot that it was like trading him for a first rounder anyways since Matt Roth was considered a first round talent by many mocks

We got him in the second round, but got the pick from Carolina (I think) for our first in the following year.

It was our first two years later.

Roth will start as a rookie IMO and outplay most of our Defense. His motor is FANTASTIC and he will make plays all over the field for us.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Roth will start as a rookie IMO and outplay most of our Defense. His motor is FANTASTIC and he will make plays all over the field for us.

PURE SPECULATION. We can't have that on this message board! lol :roflmao:

i think it's funny how you guys (before surtain got traded to the chiefs) were like "he's the best there is, worth more than even a 2nd round pick. he's got tons of good years left... the chiefs would be lucky to get him for a 2nd rounder"...
now it's like "we didnt think he was as good as we said. he was on his downside. he's overpayed." why is that?
are you guys in denial that you lost a top 3 corner?

I was never in denial, I wanted to keep him the whole time but the cap situation said otherwise and in the end I wanted to get something for him knowing that we could not give him what he wanted dollars wise next season so he would just leave.

I was just saying that a lot of people were angry that we traded Surtain and got Matt Roth with the pick and I was just putting a positive spin on the situation, Surtain is gone and now it's time to look forward.

Back
Top Bottom