Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB

They restructured his contract and Ryan is still slinging it. He was the 4th leading passer last year. They are still in the window of winning. They will need to address a QB, but they have a couple of years still. They need to stop people.

The restructuring bought them EXACTLY 1 year. He will play next year for the Falcons. After that, there's nowhere to hide. At most they could try to extend 1 more year and have him play in '22 and really hurt themselves long term. But there's simply no way he can play for the Falcons more then '21 and '22. And I would put the odds of '22 below 40%.

Matt Ryan's contract is a freaking cancer upon their cap. They've given him so much money up-front, that they will be stuck with a massive hole when he's gone. Just like Philly... just like New Orleans...

Oh, they'll minimize it by adding void years to the thing, but when he leaves... whammo! And for the next 1-2 years they will have no cap, no opportunity to sign free agents of worth, and they'll be forced to allow some of their good players to walk. The Matt Ryan contract is an example of what you DON'T do in today's NFL. They bought him on credit, and then didn't win.

Their BEST bet is to do a tear down... sell assets like we did in 2018-2019. Maximize their draft picks... but I'm not sure that their Front Office is that smart. Indeed, the Ryan contract says, no.

Today... right now... they only have 52 players under contract and have less than 4 million in cap space, and this is AFTER converting Ryan's salary to bonus.

"Screwwwwwwwwed, they are," says Master Yoda.

Don't they have a new regime? If so, How do you not start by clearing out all the old crap and giving yourself a chance to shape the roster according to your vision. Also not to mention buying yourself more time. As an example, Coach Flo 1st and 2nd year you can argue aren't on his timeframe to produce or else. So outside of blatant incompetance he got 2 free years there. It's only now the time is ticking on likely a 3 year window.

Point being a new regime in ATL would be given at least a 2 year grace period to clean house.

It depends on who they have graded where. If they have a high enough grade on a remaining QB, I don’t believe there’s such a thing as reaching for a QB. There’s too many teams that will trade up for that QB if you trade back

Agree. A "reach" depends on the board of the individual team. That's why, every year, there are 'surprises' in the draft. No one knows Miami's board, much less ATL's. What ATL does with their pick depends, almost exclusively, on whether they decide to give the SB one more shot or decide to rebuild. Answer that, and any guesses become better

I’m very much hoping to see ATL trade back w/ Denver/Carolina

Every player in the NFL has a value.
That is true, but if their existing contract exceeds the percieved value, trading them becomes very difficult, short of giving them away.

If Ryan were 5-8 yrs younger, it might be different.

Anyway, I don't see that the situation prohibits Atl from taking a QB. It depends what general direction they have decided upon, rather than Ryan specifically.

That is true, but if their existing contract exceeds the percieved value, trading them becomes very difficult, short of giving them away.

If Ryan were 5-8 yrs younger, it might be different.

Anyway, I don't see that the situation prohibits Atl from taking a QB. It depends what general direction they have decided upon, rather than Ryan specifically.
It depends mostly on if they like any of the QBs left

Back
Top Bottom