Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB

caneaddict

Pro Bowler
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Here are the details of Matt Ryan's contract:

I've heard people say that ATL can't release Ryan after next season because the dead cap hit is $40MM. First, that's not true. If they designate him a post June 1 cut, the cap hit is $25MM in '22 and $15.6MM in '23. That's absorbable if your active QB is on a rookie scale deal. If they don't release Ryan after next season his cap hit will be $48.6MM for 2022 and $43.6MM in 2023!!! And unlike this year, there's no viable option to lower those numbers.

After next season the shell game with his salary is over, they will have about $40MM of cap hit left from previous years AND a cash salary of $24MM and $28MM in '22 and '23. I don't know how ATL can absorb those cash salaries in addition to the $40MM of rollover cap hit from that position.

Atlanta MUST draft a QB because they have to shed salary after next year and a good free agent QB would be too expensive. Their only route is a rookie deal and absorb the dead cap hit by releasing Ryan as a post June 1 cut after next season.

IMO the 1st 4 picks must be QB's (ATL is the only one where people were having questions) and after yesterday, there's no way Cinci tells Burrow he can't have Chase. That means Kyle Pitts is a Dolphin (bittersweet for me because I love Pitts but am also sad to lose out on Smith)

They can extend his contract as well which will reduce is cap hit significally, this topic has been discussed in depth on Moving the Chains with Pat Kirin and Jim Miller on NFL Radio on Sirius. So drafting a QB isnt a forgone conclusion.

They need a CB. Their defensive backfield sucks. However, I think 4 is too high for Surtain. They have to trade back if they can.

We all desperately want QBs to go 1-4 but we really have no clue what ATL will do. This is a new regime, they have an aging roster and plenty of holes so trading back makes a ton of sense for them. I have a feeling they will get more for trading out of 4 than we got for trading out of 3, that'll be a kick in the nuts !

Last edited:
They can extend his contract as well which will reduce is cap hit significally, this topic has been discussed in depth on Moving the Chains with Pat Kirin and Jim Miller on NFL Radio on Sirius. So drafting a QB isnt a forgone conclusion.
Extending doesn't necessarily help much. They have $40MM after next season that will have already been paid but not charged against the cap that they must somehow charge. If they cut him the $40MM gets charged $25MM in '22 and $15MM in '23. If they keep him the remaining 2 years they still take the exact same charge PLUS pay his base salaries those years. If they extend him all they save is the ability to amortize that $40MM over 3 or 4 years instead of 2. Even if they extended him 2 years so he'd be 40 in his final year, the $40MM would get charged approximately $10MM per year. Even if he agrees to no base salary increase, his base in the last 2 years would be $28MM/year and $10MM cap charge so you now have him for the next 4 years at $38MM/year cap hit. That's still crazy given that he'd be 40 and given their cap situation now they simply can't afford to have a QB right now at $38MM cap hit.

They absolutely cannot cut him this year. It would not help their financial situation
No. I specifically was referring to cutting him next offseason.

I'm not gonna drive myself crazy with the what iffs.....if our team was so worry about losing out on a player they'd have stayed at 3. Now of course they do have some players that they would be happy with at 6 and hence they moved back up for one of them. People need to stop assuming that we want Pitts or Chase. Maybe they really want Smith. The fact is we just don't know but they have at least 3 guys they'd be happy with at 6 and at least one of them will be there and there's a good chance that two of them will still be there for us to pick from.

I don't think qbs ever went consecutive 1-4, can't imagine this sorry group will be the first. I get TL and Zach but the others, nah. Conversely, many teams need one so this year could be the one...blame it on COVID!

Back
Top Bottom