Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Contract ATL MUST draft QB

Remember that 3rd is a comp pick it's pretty low. Dropping from 3 to 12 was a big jump. And SF have a roster that could make both those firsts very late. If for example ATL traded with Denver got 9, next year's 1st (which lets face it could be very high, Denver aren't great) their 2nd this year, maybe a 5th rounder or something. I would probably take that deal over the one we got from SF. Denver much more likely to be picking top 10 next year than SF, you can parlay that into a 2023 first if you want.
Denver has to be aware of this and would value their future 1sts higher than SF did. If the Falcons trade with them we can't compare the trades pick for pick.

But remember, no one could have imagined Houston would be bottom 3 two years ago without an injury to Watson. The NFL is unpredictable.

Also, giving Denver an actual QB could change a lot for them. I would personally not want Mac Jones as my QB at pick 3, and would definitely be happier getting Fields at 4. If that's the way the draft goes down, the gap between the outlook for Denver and SF in 2023 closes some in my opinion.

4th QB in this draft is exactly how they end up in their respective careers. Are you being serious right now?
My point is I would rather have the top ranked player at a position than the 4th ranked player at another position. I don’t believe there are 4 first round caliber QB’s in this draft and that is why I wouldn’t draft a QB if I was responsible for the Falcons pick. I would draft the top ranked defensive player on my board because defense is the Falcons major need at this time.

Obviously those who want the Falcons to draft a QB are scared that they will draft Pitts. I just don’t see QB being the biggest need for the Falcons but if you do, so be it.

My point is I would rather have the top ranked player at a position than the 4th ranked player at another position. I don’t believe there are 4 first round caliber QB’s in this draft and that is why I wouldn’t draft a QB if I was responsible for the Falcons pick. I would draft the top ranked defensive player on my board because defense is the Falcons major need at this time.

Obviously those who want the Falcons to draft a QB are scared that they will draft Pitts. I just don’t see QB being the biggest need for the Falcons but if you do, so be it.
The question would be how much do they like Fields (or whichever particular QB it is)? Not, do they like QB #4?

This year the top ranked defensive players aren't as good as other years (while the top one has character concerns) and it is a strong QB draft.

Each year there is obviously going to be variation in the depth and quality of each position.

You shouldn't go in thinking I don't want the 4rd best X when I can get the best Y instead. What if there are 4 X's better than any of the Y's?

atlanta would be fool team to draft qb..they need defense help bad. I would add defense help and try MAKE run for another SB...none of these rookie better than Ryan..

The question would be how much do they like Fields (or whichever particular QB it is)? Not, do they like QB #4?

This year the top ranked defensive players aren't as good as other years (while the top one has character concerns) and it is a strong QB draft.

Each year there is obviously going to be variation in the depth and quality of each position.

You shouldn't go in thinking I don't want the 4rd best X when I can get the best Y instead. What if there are 4 X's better than any of the Y's?
If there were 4X’s better than any of the Y’s, obviously you take the X. Yet my view is that other than Lawrence and maybe Wilson, I don’t see any of the other QB’s I would rate in the top 25 draft picks, much less in the top 4 picks.

I also don’t see the Falcons drafting a QB this year when they have much bigger needs at other positions. Of course the Falcons could trade that pick and the team moving up could draft a QB because they feel a QB is their teams biggest need.

Atlanta could go in a number of directions. They are one of the hardest teams to predict.

I could see the Falcons taking Pitts, a quarterback or trading down with a team that wants a quarterback.

I think if SF takes Jones, the odds become higher that Atlanta takes Fields.

No they do not "have to," but Trey Lance is the perfect high potential, raw QB to take there and let him set/learn under Ryan for a year or 2.
But with Ryan’s cap hit, are you going to commit more cap to the 4th overall pick to sit on the bench for two years? Then you have very little time to evaluate if you have your guy.

But with Ryan’s cap hit, are you going to commit more cap to the 4th overall pick to sit on the bench for two years? Then you have very little time to evaluate if you have your guy.
Point taken! However it comes down to how infatuated the Atl brass are with Lance as the "Next Mahomes"

No one said that a drafted Lance would have to sit for two full years.

Even with Atlanta's ridiculously bad cap situation, if another QB come in and outplays Ryan, it just makes their decision easier... though I still think it's 90% that they trade down.

On the bright side, I only had us trading down at about 99%. LOL

Back
Top Bottom