Maurice Jones-drew: Kenyan Drake Is A Bottom-five Starting Nfl Running Back | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Maurice Jones-drew: Kenyan Drake Is A Bottom-five Starting Nfl Running Back

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
1067715014.jpg.0.jpg

In a recent article on NFL.com, Jones-Drew expressed his doubt over Drake’s potential:

Drake is an explosive player and eclipsed 1,000 yards from scrimmage last season, but he’s never been a consistent, every-down back, which is why he doesn’t rate higher here. Plus, I’m not quite sure what this Dolphins offense will look like with head coach Brian Flores and offensive coordinator Chad O’Shea, who both came from New England, at the helm. O’Shea was the Patriots’ wide receivers coach for a decade, so I’m wondering how similar (or different) Miami’s offense will be to the Pats’?

https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/6...-starting-nfl-running-back-nfl-miami-dolphins

Drake sucks. The love he gets on here by some is baffling.

Gore at 35 or however old he is is still better than Drake.

This team needs to get a real 3 down back within the next year or two.

I think those are fair points made by MJD.

He was drafted as kind of a new breed hybrid RB/pass catcher. They gave him a chance last year, he just dropped a few at first and they never really gave him any more chaces. I mean, they were easy catches, but he just bobbled one too many. Compare that to the departed Damien Williams who caught just about everything.

He improved in pass protection, though...and he certainly has his moments.

He might be right. I hope Drake proves him wrong. Then we all win

The concerns are fair however, he is a damn good player who can take it to the house and has - from anywhere on the field. Loved Gore but at his advances age he couldn’t do that anymore during his time here.

I saw a reference to D Williams. He’s not good. Don’t let what the Chiefs did w him fool you. Had KC had Drake on the roster after cutting Hunt they would have won the SB. After they dumped him they were not the same team - mainly because you didn’t have to respect Damien the same way you did Hunt. Drake forces you to respect the big play.

I do not like the idea of Drake being an every down back but I don’t think he was used enough last year vs Gore. They didn’t seem to get the balance right.

Yeah Drake is no prize pig that's for sure. If it wasnt for the Miami Miracle, he would be looked at totally differently. Hes a good #2 back, but he has never been able to carry the ball 20+ times a game like a true elite RB

Drake has superior running back talent but has had average health talent. Health talent is overlooked by many.

Drake has excellent ability receiving and route running..if used correctly he can be productive, I’d say 1500 total.

I don’t agree at all. I believe the team let down Drake much more than he let down the team.

I believe Gase under utilized him him in 2017 and 18. When Ajayi was traded I KNEW he was the best back on the team. He outperformed Williams yet Gase still started and used Williams more. It wasn’t until his injury that Drake showed his ability as a starter, leading league in rushing the last 5 weeks.

Maybe there are people here that have high respect for Gase’s ability to evaluate talent, but I’m certainly not one of them. Gore was used more than him and performed better than I expected but had limited big play ability. Drake still had 9 touchdowns and ~1000 yards from scrimmage anyway.

Hard for me to grasp a forum that LOVED a slow, over utilized slot receiver and wanted us to pay him 16 million but not a RB that actually made game changing plays.

Look at how Cleveland turned their season around after Jackson was fired and Landry’s targets disappeared. I care about players that make plays that change games (Wilson, Drake etc) not slot receivers that turn 161 targets into 900 yards.

Kind of agree. Drake just doesn't run hard, hes a verstile back but at running he isnt phycial enough.

I have to agree that he is overrated. He is a decent pass catcher and is excellent in the open field, but the hard to get yards are a struggle. I know some felt Gase overlooked him in favor of Gore, but Gore was honestly a better overall back. Perhaps he will be used more effectively in the new offense.

but he has never been able to carry the ball 20+ times a game like a true elite RB
Please let us know what your sample is, because as far as I recall he wasn’t allowed to carry the ball 20+ times in any game.

Dolphins fans are quite remarkable. Here is a team completely devoid of winning seasons or a glimpse of winning seasons. We have a playmaker who can take it to the house ANY time he touches the ball, but yet he isn’t good enough to be a major contributor on the team. Holy f**k! Rotflmfao. Dudes averages almost 5 ypc during his career.

Back
Top Bottom