Maurice Jones-drew: Kenyan Drake Is A Bottom-five Starting Nfl Running Back | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Maurice Jones-drew: Kenyan Drake Is A Bottom-five Starting Nfl Running Back

The concerns are fair however, he is a damn good player who can take it to the house and has - from anywhere on the field. Loved Gore but at his advances age he couldn’t do that anymore during his time here.

I saw a reference to D Williams. He’s not good. Don’t let what the Chiefs did w him fool you. Had KC had Drake on the roster after cutting Hunt they would have won the SB. After they dumped him they were not the same team - mainly because you didn’t have to respect Damien the same way you did Hunt. Drake forces you to respect the big play.

I do not like the idea of Drake being an every down back but I don’t think he was used enough last year vs Gore. They didn’t seem to get the balance right.

Drake is certainly better running the ball than Damien Williams, but Damien is much better in the passing game, which is why he's such a great fit for the Chiefs. Drake is certainly explosive, consistency and inside running have always been the concerns with him. I don't know if 31 is too low, but you could certainly argue he shouldn't be a starting RB.

Barkley wasn't the right pick. Taking a running back with the second pick is never the right pick.
I basically agree. RBs have the shortest shelf life of any position and are the easiest to replace. Just like at what the aforementioned Damien Williams is doing with the Chiefs. A replacement level RB looking like a star. Laveon Bell and Gurley were easy to replace. Still, a guy like Barkley -or Gurley- on a playoff team, while still on a rookie contract, can be quite an asset.

I basically agree. RBs have the shortest shelf life of any position and are the easiest to replace. Just like at what the aforementioned Damien Williams is doing with the Chiefs. A replacement level RB looking like a star. Laveon Bell and Gurley were easy to replace. Still, a guy like Barkley -or Gurley- on a playoff team, while still on a rookie contract, can be quite an asset.
Rookie running backs on a rookie contract that are top 10 picks are really not much of a bargain in reality. On top of that, paying a second contract to a running back doesn't make sense. So if you take a running back high in the draft you will have to pay him well, and if he has success you have to either pay him big money to retain him or, the smart move would be to not pay him and let him walk, but than you are losing a top draft asset after five years. I hate the idea of drafting a running back in the first round let alone drafting one in the top 10.

Omg, Drake is the new Tannehill.

He’s ok, he’s a middle round back. #2 on most teams as their receiving back.

I looked at the backs he rated higher than Drake. Really? There are 30 backs in the NFL that are better than Drake at this stage in his career?

Please!

Rookie running backs on a rookie contract that are top 10 picks are really not much of a bargain in reality. On top of that, paying a second contract to a running back doesn't make sense. So if you take a running back high in the draft you will have to pay him well, and if he has success you have to either pay him big money to retain him or, the smart move would be to not pay him and let him walk, but than you are losing a top draft asset after five years. I hate the idea of drafting a running back in the first round let alone drafting one in the top 10.
No, you're right. I like watching those great backs so I was trying to find anything to hold on to, but after last season, when three top backs were replaced without their teams skipping a beat (Bell, Gurley, Karim Hunt), all things considered it's hard to find anything to justify a top 15 pick on an RB, let alone a top 10.

I looked at the backs he rated higher than Drake. Really? There are 30 backs in the NFL that are better than Drake at this stage in his career?

Please!
I don't have to look at the list to know many of the names in there are not impressive. But Drake is? When a year 4 RB with no injuries has a season high of 644 yards, I think the fairer question is if he's even the best RB on the team.

I don't have to look at the list to know many of the names in there are not impressive. But Drake is? When a year 4 RB with no injuries has a season high of 644 yards, I think the fairer question is if he's even the best RB on the team.
The way the league views the position has changed dramatically.

While there are still a few guys getting 350 carries per year, it's not as prevelant as it once was.

RBs are usually not retained when asking for a huge, or even above average contract. The obvious reason for this is longevity. Couple that with the fact that teams have moved away from the power running heavy offense, and it doesn't make sense to commit big $ to a guy that can be replaced with a mid round draft pick.

Lol, me thinks Maurice Jones-Drew see's a lot of the type of RB he used to be, only taller, and is afraid Drake could be better version of him.

I think MJD needs to do his homework before actually making any type of evaluation.

Drake was spectacure last year everytime he was given the ball, if Gore had not been on the team, Gase decided not to allow Drake to get as many handoffs, as he should have. If Drake would have been allowed to be the premier back last year, he woukd have had a ridiculously good year.

There is no doubt in my mind Drake will be starting this year, averaging at least 15 touches a game...Let's find out how accurate MJD actually is about Drake.

Considering what your opinion seems to be on Drake, I don't think this was as damning as you meant for it to be....considering that he was sharing time with the guy who has the fourth-most rushing yards in the history of the sport.

I’m baffled by anyone on here who doubts Drakes talent. When given the opportunity he has delivered period. I’m not sure how much football someone needs to watch to know when you have 4,6 or 8 touches in a game you’re not doing to be effective. Drake is a hard runner gets more YAC than 95% of RB in the league, is a huge mismatch when flexed and has big time game changing skills. Maybe go back and watch this kid run, he’s one of the best in the league when he’s given a respectable amount of touches.

Drake was spectacure ...

thecure.jpg

This is another situation where fans of a team overhypes players on their favorite team. Happens to every fanbase for a lot of the players they have.

Drake is a solid running back. It's ok for people to not like him or think he's spectacular. It is not the end of the world.

This is another situation where fans of a team overhypes players on their favorite team. Happens to every fanbase for a lot of the players they have.

Drake is a solid running back. It's ok for people to not like him or think he's spectacular. It is not the end of the world.
I think you are gravely underestimating the geopolitical ramifications, as they relate to this issue.

You probobly also think the a Normandy landings of 6 June 1944 were just some guys taking a boat ride.

SMH

Back
Top Bottom