Maurice Jones-drew: Kenyan Drake Is A Bottom-five Starting Nfl Running Back | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Maurice Jones-drew: Kenyan Drake Is A Bottom-five Starting Nfl Running Back

I may be in the minority, but I like our RB by committee approach. If we are going to vary our offense based on our weekly matchup then each of our guys are going to play a role. It may be more one week and less the next, but it makes us hard to prepare for and it also might help keeps guys healthy and fresh.

Ideally I'd like a guy like Ajayi three years ago or Ricky in his prime who by carry 25 were gonna be annihilating the defense, but in the absence of a bellcow, you mix it up and ask each player to do what they do best, and stay fresher from more limited usage.

Drake is not a bell cow as some stated, but hes a viable option in today's NFL.

With that said, if he warrants more touches, he needs to produce.

Our oline I feel....will be a mess. With only 2 guys showing NFL real game capabilities.

Drake is not a bell cow as some stated, but hes a viable option in today's NFL.

With that said, if he warrants more touches, he needs to produce.

Our oline I feel....will be a mess. With only 2 guys showing NFL real game capabilities.

Which two are those? I would argue there are 3-4 total but the depth behind those is terrible. And the right side of the OL will be awful.

The difficulty with this measure is that Drake may or may not ever be a “feature” back in this system, regardless of how good he is, because the RB used might be situational...but I suspect he’ll certainly get a good number of carries, regardless.

I don’t agree at all. I believe the team let down Drake much more than he let down the team.

I believe Gase under utilized him him in 2017 and 18. When Ajayi was traded I KNEW he was the best back on the team. He outperformed Williams yet Gase still started and used Williams more. It wasn’t until his injury that Drake showed his ability as a starter, leading league in rushing the last 5 weeks.

Maybe there are people here that have high respect for Gase’s ability to evaluate talent, but I’m certainly not one of them. Gore was used more than him and performed better than I expected but had limited big play ability. Drake still had 9 touchdowns and ~1000 yards from scrimmage anyway.

Hard for me to grasp a forum that LOVED a slow, over utilized slot receiver and wanted us to pay him 16 million but not a RB that actually made game changing plays.

Look at how Cleveland turned their season around after Jackson was fired and Landry’s targets disappeared. I care about players that make plays that change games (Wilson, Drake etc) not slot receivers that turn 161 targets into 900 yards.
Agree. A little off topic but for these reasons, I did not think Edelman was the MVP of the SB. Of his 11 or 12 catches, 10 of them came in the first half and led to a whopping total of 3 points. Did not “change” the game. It was if the Rams were content letting him be the only guy NE could get going. It wasn’t until Gronk made two huge plays that broke the game open. But the voters looked at the stats and Edelman stood out like Landry stood out here. I used to be a Landry fan but was sold on us passing on his demands once I saw Wilson take that crosser to the house - a play Landry catches all the time but no way outruns everyone to the edge.

Agree. A little off topic but for these reasons, I did not think Edelman was the MVP of the SB. Of his 11 or 12 catches, 10 of them came in the first half and led to a whopping total of 3 points. Did not “change” the game. It was if the Rams were content letting him be the only guy NE could get going. It wasn’t until Gronk made two huge plays that broke the game open. But the voters looked at the stats and Edelman stood out like Landry stood out here. I used to be a Landry fan but was sold on us passing on his demands once I saw Wilson take that crosser to the house - a play Landry catches all the time but no way outruns everyone to the edge.
The MVP of the SB clearly had to be the defense. Both defenses won their battles, but NEDs won it more dominantly.

The major problem with MJD's statement that Drake is a bottom five starting back is in his assessment that he's not an 'every down back'. Since about half the league doesn't go the workhorse every-down back route, that comment doesn't make sense. Exactly 9 players ran for 1,000 yards last year. Only 7 had 240 carries or more for the year. The last time MJD broke 1000 yards there were 15 runners over 1,000 and 14 with 240 carries or more. MJD's assessment is based on logic from nearly a decade ago.

The MVP of the SB clearly had to be the defense. Both defenses won their battles, but NEDs won it more dominantly.
Yeah both D’s were awesome. It was an old school game. I don’t know how you don’t give it to a D player or just “the defense”. As I stated, Edelman’s stats had very little bearing on the game.

Back
Top Bottom