Maybe our defense is just not THAT good... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Maybe our defense is just not THAT good...

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
I think we need to face up to the fact that in the last season and a half our defense has slowly been slipping. I think the reality is that the following players are not "as billed":

Morlon Greenwood
Derrick Rodgers
Jamar Fletcher (bust!)
Arturo Freeman

These players are starting to slip and are now just solid/avg.:

Zach Thomas
Tim Bowens
Brock Marion

These players are solid/Avg.:

Larry Chester
Wally Agunleye

We will survive this year, but make no mistake, the off season Miami will be looking for defensive players.

I disagree. Brock has been a stud this season, and Thomas is a lot more than solid. I think Ogunleye will also prove himself to be more than just average.

Hey I love Zach ( I even named my son Zach!) fact is he is on my fantasy team. He ranks about 30th in points which are given for tackles, intercepts, fumbles, etc. Thats the facts. Not emotion. I think he is still the guy to have, but he now needs some talent around him. Before he could take over a game by himself.

PS
Nice Avatar!

One game no matter how awful is really too early to panic. Trent Green had a career day where he could do no wrong and he was due. The Dolphins will correct most of tne mistakes and with the crowd's help will play inspired defense this week. If not then we can panic.:goof:

I believe that fault lies with Jim Bates, and with Wannestedt himself, to whatever extent he makes or overrules gametime defensive decisions.

The teams that are winning at the highest level are winning the mental game... often overcoming distinct disadvantages on the physical side of things.

I believe the Dolphins have more talent on offense than do the Patriots on defense, but it's close enough that the winning scheme, Belichick's or Turner's, will determine the winner of that physical battle.

I believe the Dolphins have more talent on defense than do the Patriots on offense, but I'm afraid Charlie Weis is likely to carve Bates into sushi.

I dread next weekend. They could score lots, even though we have a number of very talented defenders.

Jeff

Originally posted by JeffJewell
I believe that fault lies with Jim Bates, and with Wannestedt himself, to whatever extent he makes or overrules gametime defensive decisions.

Isn't that the truth. Can any of our inside sources comment or have any insight about this???

Its not just one game. Its three games that our defense has not looked good (Lions, Colts, Chiefs).

I would LOVE to be wrong on this.

Originally posted by fin-atic
Its not just one game. Its three games that our defense has not looked good (Lions, Colts, Chiefs).

the D played great ag. the Colts - they are a awesome O and scored only 13. The Lions game was a laugher and the D went soft, but played well when it mattered.

Our D has always been and is a D that thrives at home when the main 11 guys are out there. Injuries have been our undoing the last couple of years, but basically we are good D, but not a great D. We force the opposing O to play their best mistake-free football. If they can be patient and do that, they can beat our D; which is why Ricky is the key to the team, i.e. eating clock with long drives and keeping our D off the field.

Originally posted by fin-atic

That's the truth. Sad but true. What happen to attack defense we had once. I watching the Ravens go after it, and I watch a defense and it looks like they are confused or lost.

Need that aggressiveness back.

I would definately like to see our guys deliver some blows to the receivers more often.....It seems like when I watch other teams play, when a receiver catches the ball, he gets smacked....sometimes even when he doesn't catch it.

I don't see that same kind of hitting from our defense.

I don't know what the reference to the Jets game is on this thread. If you read my post carefully (and accurately) I did not mention the Jets. However, it is more apparent that the Jets are one of the worst teams in the league on offense.
Phinkey is right. If you watch the elite defenses play, they are dominant and aggressive. We may still have it, I just have not seen it yet.

I always thought it was "phinkey" too......upon closer inspection one day I noticed it was phinkeV.....oops.;)

Back
Top Bottom