Mayock Discusses DB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mayock Discusses DB's

j-off-her-doll

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Makes a strong case for E. Thomas at FS - very similar to the case I was making for him a couple weeks ago. Also acknowledges the concerns that many (CK comes to mind) have with him at FS. So, if Berry falls to us, it should be a slam-dunk pick (agree with this line of thinking), but E. Thomas will almost certainly be there at #12, and most aren't even considering him at that spot.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81677626/Mayock-s-top-5-S-CB

he also said that earl thomas may only be 190 lbs...if that

i'd like to see him at 195 lbs at least next week...but i no longer have him in pick #12 consideration

Anyone else notice that Mayock and the Network are implying that Mayock is leaving the window open to Earl Thomas being as good, if not better than Berry? Hmm...

Thomas could very well be in the conversation for us at #12...oh please, on McClain. Not.

I'm starting to think Thomas or Bryant at #12.

Notice that Mayock - in so many words - says that Thomas is better in coverage, better at making big plays, and has better ball skills than Eric Berry. I had kind of pushed Thomas to the side, because I thought we had a real shot at Rolle.

I also think that Mayock's absolutely right about the future of the FS position. Thomas' size doesn't bother me.

Notice that Mayock - in so many words - says that Thomas is better in coverage, better at making big plays, and has better ball skills than Eric Berry. I had kind of pushed Thomas to the side, because I thought we had a real shot at Rolle.

I also think that Mayock's absolutely right about the future of the FS position. Thomas' size doesn't bother me.

Yes, sir. This is starting to grow on my common sense more and more. Then, with this Miami talking to Arizona for Boldin and now the Detroit for maybe Cliff Avril, that would take out WR and SOLB. That would leave our #43 pick for the NT, either Cody or Cam Thomas. So what position of need is left that we can fill at #12? FS and ILB. Thomas over McClain, especially with the possiblity and interest rumored around Karlos Dansby via FA. Wow.

Imagine leave the first 2 days of the draft with a turnover of:

FA: Karlos Dansby ILB (replacing Ayodele or Torbor)
#12 pick: Earl Thomas FS (replacing Culver on the roster, but Wilson in starting lineup)
#43 pick: Cam Thomas NT (added as 3rd NT, re-signing Ferguson, keeping Soliai)
#74 pick (traded): AnQuan Boldin (replaces Turner, Bess, or Camarillo starting opposite Ginn Jr)
4th rounder to DET for Cliff Avril SOLB (replacing Joey Porter on roster, but starting ahead of JT at SOLB)

:jcane:

I just don't like Thomas. Too small a frame for my taste, especially considering the #12 spot. No thanks imo to Earl Thomas.

I just don't like Thomas. Too small a frame for my taste, especially considering the #12 spot. No thanks imo to Earl Thomas.

Duly noted. But Mike Mayock (who I respect his opinion over any other draft guru) has stated that he has studied both extensively more than you or I and he has noticed that Earl Thomas is a better coverage FS, better big play FS, and is almost done watching all the tape on Thomas to come back and give us his conclusion, which he has left the window open for...finalizing his big board and putting Earl Thomas ahead of Berry.

He said on the NFL Network that as of right now after watching all of Berry's tape, he has Berry at #1 and Thomas as a close #2. But that he isn't done watching all of Thomas's tape. And that he was leaving the door open on Thomas being better than Berry.

So with all that being said, Thomas is obviously a comparable prospect at FS as Berry is. And Berry has been touted on this forum as a top 3 pick (which of course, I disagree with, I feel he is a top 7 though)...but my point is that if Thomas is comparable and could even be a better coverage FS than a top 7 pick, then he should be a no brainer for a team like Miami, who has a glaring hole at FS...a coverage FS at that.

I agree about Mayock. But I'll throw this out there: Thomas has only one thing going for him--coverage skills. Now, he only has one good season to showcase. Mayock said that he will have to go back and review previous seasons to confirm whether Thomas warrants #2 spot on his board after Berry.

I disagree that Thomas can be compared to Berry. Berry is powerful and a tackler, and that imo is the most important thing. Toughness before skill. For Thomas to be that highly ranked considering his size, and what he gives up on tackling, he would have to have unparalleled coverage skils.

I agree about Mayock. But I'll throw this out there: Thomas has only one thing going for him--coverage skills. Now, he only has one good season to showcase. Mayock said that he will have to go back and review previous seasons to confirm whether Thomas warrants #2 spot on his board after Berry.

I disagree that Thomas can be compared to Berry. Berry is powerful and a tackler, and that imo is the most important thing. Toughness before skill. For Thomas to be that highly ranked considering his size, and what he gives up on tackling, he would have to have unparalleled coverage skils.

Thomas is a willing and capable hitter. That aside, from a moder day FS, it's foolish to covet toughness and physicality before skill and coverage ability. The FS is one of three players (the other being the CB's) you rarely - if ever - want playing in the box.

mayocks not moving thomas over berry...especially after he gets done watching berrys tape from 2 years ago when he wasn't asked to play in the box as much...when he had all those ints...

mayock knows better than that...eric berry will be a beast free safety...and mayock keeps talking about how earl thomas has the best range of any safety and maybe he did this year but eric berry if i'm not mistaken lead the country in ints 2 years ago playing free...

i'll be very interested to see what exact height and weight earl thomas is this upcoming week...

Eric Berry is better then Earl Thomas. Berry is the complete package. Thomas might not be able to takedown some of these NFL recievers. Beware of players that only have one year of production to show.

With that being said, I would love Berry at 12(yeah right he is going top 5), but Earl at 12 is to early, maybe 16-22 for Earl.

E.Thomas is quicker with more range. And seems to have great instincts in pass coverage. He is EXACTLY the type of coverage free safety that the fins D lacked last season. True that Berry is a better overall prospect. But as far as range and coverage goes E.Thomas is the top of this class and fits our need perfectly.

Now the question becomes is a great coverage free safety worth the 12th pick in the draft?

Beware of players that only have one year of production to show.
That is the reason this regime won't be picking Earl Thomas in the first round. Look at this regime's last 2 first round picks. Jake Long and Vontae Davis. Guys who had 3 or 4 good years in college. They will pick someone with a proven history and good measurables with good positional value.

I could care less about where Thomas is
on Mayock block.....

The board that matters is FO.

Back
Top Bottom