3. Mario Williams
4. Jay Cutler
5. D'Brickashaw
6. AJ Hawk
7. Leinart
8. Huff
9. Davis
10. Ngata

He praises Cutler a lot, saying that his stock will rise a lot. Leinart at 7 is surprising. Discuss.

popularwar said:
Mayock's top ten prospects on NFL Network
1. Bush
2. Young
3. Mario Williams
4. Jay Cutler
5. D'Brickashaw
6. AJ Hawk
7. Leinart
8. Huff
9. Davis
10. Ngata

He praises Cutler a lot, saying that his stock will rise a lot. Leinart at 7 is surprising. Discuss.

well its not your "standard" top 10 for this year... but i like people with different opinions... i personally think cutlers too high... i like mario williams up there, hes gonna be a beast... dont like leinart that low, and id put demeco ryans in there somewhere, probably instead of vernon davis ahead of ngata...

Jay Culter #4??!!!! Before the Senior Bowl and Combine???? I repeat, what in the world has he done to skyrocket like this??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've never seen so much hype in my life. It's officially become ridiculous. At least Phillip Rivers rode a great Senior Bowl to the top of the first round.

Pocoloco said:
Jay Culter #4??!!!! Before the Senior Bowl and Combine???? I repeat, what in the world has he done to skyrocket like this??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've never seen so much hype in my life. It's officially become ridiculous. At least Phillip Rivers rode a great Senior Bowl to the top of the first round.

Why do you assume he skyrocketed?

Yes, just a month ago the draft "experts" had him rated 20 spots lower. So? Do they actually know anything? Maybe the scouts have had him rated high all along and the draft "experts" are just getting wind of it. That happens alot. Guys move up boards as the draft "experts" talk to scouts who tell them that certain guys are really good and they have them very high. The guy's draft status doesn't change among the scouts just their positionns on the "experts" mocks.

I'm not saying that's the case with Cutler. I honestly don't know what the deal is but you can't just assume he's skyrocketed when he may have been this high all along or may not nearly be as high now as the "experts" think. Remember there's a difference between the perceive value of a player as described through all the mocks by guys that don't actually make any picks, and the REAL value of a player as determined by GM's who DO make the picks.

Pocoloco said:

Some people make their evaluations based on film study rather than looking at stats.
Perhaps in a given situation or pass thrown Cutler has shown an ability that Leinart doesn't have.
Could Cutler for example have accomplished what Leinart did at USC with the same supporting cast? Would Leinart even be considered a 1st rd pick if he had played for Vanderbilt?

Am I the only one that would be kind of surprised if Jay Cutler blew everyone away at the Senior Bowl? Honestly I expect Brodie Croyle to look better.

Jay is still kind of a RAW prospect, ya know? He's not the type of guy that's going to show up in Jeff Fisher's offense, comprehend it from Day 1, then go out and run it like that's the system he has been running all his life like Phil Rivers did. I really like Jay Cutler, I think he'd be a decent pick at #16 but the guy has been running Vandy's offense for 4 years...with Vandy's WRs and OL. I doubt he'll even know what to do with really good weapons at his disposal like the ones he'll have at the Senior Bowl.

I think he'll have a decent Senior Bowl...where he'll flash his amazing ability but you'll also see what kind of raw prospect he is. He will look like the most impressive QB in practice by virtue of his arm and legs, the same way some scouts said Losman was the most impressive QB in practice because of his arm and legs, even though he was clearly far less effective in practice than Rivers.

It seems like with all these mock drafts and everything, everyone is already valuing Cutler like he already played in the Senior Bowl and wowed everyone. He hasn't done that yet, and I foresee mixed results. I think a guy that will really raise his stock (or two guys, actually) will be Brodie Croyle...and maybe Darrell Hackney.

jlfin said:
Some people make their evaluations based on film study rather than looking at stats.
Perhaps in a given situation or pass thrown Cutler has shown an ability that Leinart doesn't have.
Could Cutler for example have accomplished what Leinart did at USC with the same supporting cast? Would Leinart even be considered a 1st rd pick if he had played for Vanderbilt?

Well, the Senior Bowl will be your chance to test that theory. Jeff Fisher and Norm Chow will go out there and teach their offense to the North, and Cutler will have some good weapons to work with, facing good competition. It'll be the same offense that Leinart worked in, with a comparable surrounding cast like Leinart had.

I think all this talk of Cutler in the top 10 is a bit overblown.

Yeah Cutler is good but no way should he ever be rated above Leinart. I want Leinart the most out of the top 3 quarterbacks. Maybe he can fall like Rodgers did and we can snatch him up. I know there's no way that will happen but it's wishful thinking.

houtz said:
Yeah Cutler is good but no way should he ever be rated above Leinart. I want Leinart the most out of the top 3 quarterbacks. Maybe he can fall like Rodgers did and we can snatch him up. I know there's no way that will happen but it's wishful thinking.

Well, you might get your wish, because with Leinart's brace on his knee, and his questionable arm strength, he could fall.

Back
Top Bottom