Mayok or Grier? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mayok or Grier?

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Chris Grier. Mayok is one of the few GMs that was even worse than Grier. What’s next, a thread about who would you rather have Chris Grier or David Gettleman?

Ejay knows, and so should everybody else. He didn't draft the QB that some now want but that's hindsight, so is the OT that got away. With the draft positions and the needs we had, Grier has done better than average to flat out good. Nay bob's will cry though...

Ejay knows, and so should everybody else. He didn't draft the QB that some now want but that's hindsight, so is the OT that got away. With the draft positions and the needs we had, Grier has done better than average to flat out good. Nay bob's will cry though...

To be clear, I'm not suggesting Grier is a top GM or even above average.

I'm just dispelling this silly notion that only this past draft was worthy of considering "good".

Which selections were really Grier's and how far back he's actually been responsible for has been debated ad nauseam and will continue to be. That's fair.

What's not fair or remotely correct is the statement to which I first responded. That dude is flat wrong.

This narrative just isn't true.

Their are 4 starters from the 2021 draft. However there are 5 starters from the 2020 draft. And I'm not counting Blake Ferguson as the long snapper.

Sure, Jackson isn't starting material, but neither was Eichenberg this season much of the time.

I get that there were 4 more draftees in 2020, but still. Netting 9 starters, 7 of which are solid starters, from the past 2 drafts isn't awful.

Wilkins, Van Ginkel and Gaskin from the 2019 draft -- which only consisted of 6 total draftees -- wasn't bad either.

A team blowing all but one draft doesn't win 10 and 9 games the past 2 seasons respectively. The Dolphins have become a 10-win level team because their drafts have been getting increasingly better and better the past few years.
Being a starter doesn’t mean the pick was good though. Look at Jackson for example. He and Eich were two of the worst rated players at their positions this year. Charles Harris started for a couple of years etc etc

I'm just dispelling this silly notion that only this past draft was worthy of considering "good".

Which selections were really Grier's and how far back he's actually been responsible for has been debated ad nauseam and will continue to be. That's fair.

What's not fair or remotely correct is the statement to which I first responded. That dude is flat wrong.
I was merely agreeing. Positive reinforcement.

Being a starter doesn’t mean the pick was good though. Look at Jackson for example. He and Eich were two of the worst rated players at their positions this year. Charles Harris started for a couple of years etc etc

I acknowledged those two in my post. I further took them out of the 9 starters and stated that 7 quality starters from 2 drafts isn't terrible. Because it isn't.

Do you not acknowledge that?

Lastly, a starter is a starter. If that's the best you got, then it's the best you got. And surely better than what you had previously i.e. an improvement.

Most tend to rate drafts based upon how many of the draftees became starters. That's why I acknowledged them. But, again, I clearly also aknowledged that neither are very good to this point.

Discounting those two players still doesn't make the past 2 drafts bad. And the one before it nabbing Wilkins, Van Ginkel and Gaskin from a draft pool of only 6 also is far from bad.

Mayock was a good TV personality and was a good listen. He will be just fine if he finds something for his audience to follow like a show or podcast. Grier had a good draft last year so that is exactly how what have you done for me lately was answered. I have no idea if that's right or wrong.
My concern is that left to his own decision making he has struck out often. Last year the draft was great but I think Flo made the picks on Phillips, Holland and maybe even Waddle. Without Flo Grier is on his own again and that makes me nervous. I hope the new coach gets involved with the draft so Grier has somebody that knows what he's doing! I have little to no faith in Mr. Grier's picks.

The next two offseasons will make or break Grier. The team is knocking on the door of legitimate competitiveness. There are a number of holes, but they are fillable. The Dolphins have draft capital and money to get over the hump.

The two main issues are acquiring offensive linemen and building a weather proof team with emphasis on improving the run game. If you can run the ball, you can win games late in the season and in weather.

That’s when the narrative on Chris Grier will be complete. From where we are, if we don’t jump up, then it sure will look like we blew it firing Flores and riding with Grier. It’s a critical period for Grier, right now. Do or die.

Spot on. Grier is an average GM IMO.

We know (although many refuse to understand this) that he is collaborative with his HC. He will not draft or sign a player without buy in from his HC.

Both Gase and Flores had control over the 53. So many want to blame him for players like KVN, Flowers, and Karras. However, Flores controlled if they stayed or if they left, and he bought off on all of them.

Guys like Mayock and Riddick get a ton of attention because they are on TV and fans can learn from them. But if they weren’t TV guys, their body of work would keep them totally anonymous. I think they are over-emphasized just because they are recognizable. I doubt a typical fan would know who Arizona’s GM is, or Pittsburgh’s, just to name a couple of other lower seeded playoff teams.

Grier can play the notes, but there is a big difference between playing the notes and making music. Generally, I am happy with last year's draft, and maybe Grier is starting to groove. Here's hoping for an awesome draft and FA signing class this year! :cheers:

I acknowledged those two in my post. I further took them out of the 9 starters and stated that 7 quality starters from 2 drafts isn't terrible. Because it isn't.

Do you not acknowledge that?

Lastly, a starter is a starter. If that's the best you got, then it's the best you got. And surely better than what you had previously i.e. an improvement.

Most tend to rate drafts based upon how many of the draftees became starters. That's why I acknowledged them. But, again, I clearly also aknowledged that neither are very good to this point.

Discounting those two players still doesn't make the past 2 drafts bad. And the one before it nabbing Wilkins, Van Ginkel and Gaskin from a draft pool of only 6 also is far from bad.
I understand what you’re saying. It’s just that many of our starters from these drafts are worse than starters on better teams. For example, take Gaskin. Is he a starter on any other team in the league? If we had a more dynamic back might we have made the playoffs? I disagree on the 2019 draft as I think it was really underwhelming. Wilkins is a good player. Van Ginkel is a solid player. But we didn’t take anyone in that draft that is a game changing talent.

Back
Top Bottom