Mayweather still ducking Pacquiao | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mayweather still ducking Pacquiao

I agree that Mayweather would win. I think he's the better boxer.

Ok, I am officially confused. You agree that Mayweather is the better boxer and he would win, right? How then do you come to the conclusion that he is scared to fight Pacquiao? Makes no sense.

If money is the thing that is preventing this fight from happening I have to say that Mayweather has a valid argument. Not saying that I agree but I do understand his premise. I asked you a question earlier. Has Manny ever had a fight that he has been guaranteed to make at least 40 million? Here's some information for you....

The performance ranks as the second-highest grossing pay-per-view for a non-heavyweight fight in history.[+] EnlargeAl Bello/Getty ImagesFloyd Mayweather Jr. celebrates after claiming Miguel Cotto's belt via unanimous decision.

No. 1 all-time remains Mayweather's 2007 victory against Oscar De La Hoya, in which he also claimed a junior middleweight belt. That fight generated all-time records for any weight class with 2.46 million buys and $137 million in pay-per-view revenue.
The 1.5 million figure for Mayweather-Cotto will grow once all of the numbers are accounted for, according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who promoted the fight with Mayweather Promotions.
"The 1.5 million number is actual reported numbers," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "The final number will definitely be bigger than what it is now."
In nine HBO PPV main events, Mayweather has generated 9.6 million buys and $543 million in television revenue, according to HBO.
Mayweather-Cotto moved past Mayweather's 2010 victory against Shane Mosley, which did 1.4 million buys and $78 million in revenue. Mayweather's knockout of Victor Ortiz in September sold 1.25 million subscriptions and generated $78.4 million. The higher revenue for the Ortiz fight is because the cost of the pay-per-view was higher.
"Floyd Mayweather's numbers are getting bigger and bigger and this number shows you the kind of draw he is," Schaefer said. "He's a superstar and able to capture the interest of a large audience. He has broken out of the boxing following and now has a mainstream following that is unmatched in the sport. The numbers keep getting bigger and bigger."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7919965/floyd-mayweather-miguel-cotto-rakes-94m-ppv-sales

If Manny made more money than Floyd in the two years you mentioned, it's only because he fought more frequently. If they have each the same number of fights during the same period of time there would not have been a comparison....

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Oh yeah, Canelo Alvarez got a couple of million in his fight against Shane Moseley. What did Sugar get? Somewhere in the neighborhood of $600,000. Is that fair?

It's one thing to offer 60-40 and then maybe like 30-40% of PPV money. but Floyd wants 100% of it and 60-40. that's a duck deal. Manny isn't Cotto. Manny has been the #1 ranked p4p fighter in the world (until recently)

and lastly, at what point do we begin to criticize Mayweather for not being a FIGHTER, a champion? At what point does this stop being about money, and start being about Floyd needing to prove he is the best in the world by fighting the best in Manny? Does that not count with you?

When Roy Jones Jr got DQ'd for hitting Griffin with his knee on the canvas, Roy Jones Jr immediately said "GIVE ME A REMATCH. GIVE GRIFFIN WHATEVER HE WANTS, I DON'T CARE. MAKE IT HAPPEN NOW"... then in the rematch, Roy went out there and knocked Griffin the F out in the 1st round.

that's what a true champion says. It stops being ALL about the money and starts being about personal greatness and pride. Floyd is no champion if he continues to duck MAnny and will forever be a ducking coward, imo. That video where he rants about his health and steroid use is pathetic. If Mayweather-Pacquiao never happens because Floyd refused a 50-50 because he rather take 60-40 and bitch about steroids and protecting his health, then he will go down as a coward. At some point you have to question this man's heart and personal pride on being the BEST.

It's one thing to offer 60-40 and then maybe like 30-40% of PPV money. but Floyd wants 100% of it and 60-40. that's a duck deal. Manny isn't Cotto. Manny has been the #1 ranked p4p fighter in the world (until recently)

All I know is that Floyd offered Manny 40 million guaranteed. Again, has Manny ever had that kind of payday before? I know that Mayweather wasn't willing to do a 50 - 50 split but I honestly don't have a clue as to what has been discussed other than that. I think that there was some talk that centered around possibly doing a 60 - 40 split but I would not stake my life on it. Being the #1 P4P fighter in the world still has not gotten Manny the type of cheese that he would get from fighting Floyd.

and lastly, at what point do we begin to criticize Mayweather for not being a FIGHTER, a champion? At what point does this stop being about money, and start being about Floyd needing to prove he is the best in the world by fighting the best in Manny? Does that not count with you?

Man, Floyd is not obligated to prove anything to anyone! You & I may want to see that match take place but if he is not happy with what he feels his take would be, that's his prerogative! He determines what his worth is. It's his body!

When Roy Jones Jr got DQ'd for hitting Griffin with his knee on the canvas, Roy Jones Jr immediately said "GIVE ME A REMATCH. GIVE GRIFFIN WHATEVER HE WANTS, I DON'T CARE. MAKE IT HAPPEN NOW"... then in the rematch, Roy went out there and knocked Griffin the F out in the 1st round.

Good for Roy! Different strokes....

that's what a true champion says. It stops being ALL about the money and starts being about personal greatness and pride. Floyd is no champion if he continues to duck MAnny and will forever be a ducking coward, imo. That video where he rants about his health and steroid use is pathetic. If Mayweather-Pacquiao never happens because Floyd refused a 50-50 because he rather take 60-40 and bitch about steroids and protecting his health, then he will go down as a coward. At some point you have to question this man's heart and personal pride on being the BEST.

:rolleyes2: Bro, you still ain't getting it. Mayweather has the right to decide what he is willing to accept for any fight. Fear doesn't necessarily have a thing to do with that. If I offered you minimum wage to perform the job you do at your current place of employment, would that make you scared or someone who was attempting to duck if you decided it was not acceptable? Obviously not! You would do your best to earn what the market bears, right?

You sound like a huge Mayweather nut hugger, bro. You are trying to turn this whole thing into strictly about money and business. No competitive desire or championship heart.

If you think it's OK for boxers to behave this way and not care about proving themselves to be the best and their place in history, then this is why boxing is dying. Has turned into a bitch fest of corruption and fighters cherry picking and ducking fights. Fans like you just nut hug and don't demand more. Any neutral boxing fan like me looks at this situation and calls it a disgrace. Floyd doesn't care about fighting the #1 ranked p4p fighter in the world. Yeah, Mayweather can do what he wants for "his body", and then we can label him a ducker, and a coward who lacked the heart of a champion to prove he was the best int he world.

You sound like a huge Mayweather nut hugger, bro. You are trying to turn this whole thing into strictly about money and business. No competitive desire or championship heart.

Whatever. If you say that I am a Mayweather Nut Hugger I guess that I am. I mean you are accusing me of being that type of person and there is absolutely no way you could be wrong! The fact is the reason the fight has not happened probably has a lot more to do with money and than your silly fear assumption!

If you think it's OK for boxers to behave this way and not care about proving themselves to be the best and their place in history, then this is why boxing is dying. Has turned into a bitch fest of corruption and fighters cherry picking and ducking fights. Fans like you just nut hug and don't demand more. Any neutral boxing fan like me looks at this situation and calls it a disgrace. Floyd doesn't care about fighting the #1 ranked p4p fighter in the world. Yeah, Mayweather can do what he wants for "his body", and then we can label him a ducker, and a coward who lacked the heart of a champion to prove he was the best int he world.

Boxing is dying but every time Floyd steps into the ring he gets P-A-I-D! And, I mean paid handsomely! You can call the guy whatever you want. I doubt that he cares one iota about your thoughts on the matter. He's got his coin and probably does not need to take another fight if he doesn't want to. At this stage in his career he most likely is looking for a few more excellent pay days and then he's done. What you or I feel about his heart, competitive spirit or whatever else you want to throw in matters little!

You never did answer my question. Has Manny ever had a 40 million pay day? Also, I would love for you to explain to me how you feel Floyd has not fought top notch competition and is cherry picking fights. I'm waiting.....

Well, since I am such a Nut Hugger and it seems I can't get you to answer my question. I'll just have to answer for you. The answer is NO! Manny has never made that kind of money on any of his individual fights. In fact, his next fight will pay him the most ever for his participation...

Pacquiao to make $25 million guaranteed for Bradley bout, the biggest payday of his career....

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/02...radley-bout-the-biggest-payday-of-his-career/

Now I ask you to check out a comparison of what both fighters have been able to earn in bouts since 2006. Bear in mind that Floyd's figures don't even include the Cotto fight where I think he was guaranteed to make at least 32 million.......

Recently, John Chavez of TheBoxingTruth.com contacted the Nevada State Athletic Commission to acquire the reported purse amounts of both Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. According to the official documents, which are public record and have been verified by Executive Director Keith Kizer, the numbers are alarmingly lopsided. It appears that over the past 6 years, the combined total of Pacquiao's purses are a mere fraction of what Mayweather has earned over the same time period and in almost half the number of fights.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11628.html

Maybe it's actually you who is swinging on nuts. Manny's. New Jack Swing style.... :chuckle:

Based on those numbers Manny would almost make more in one fight than he has earned in 10! I had not even looked up that info but now I have to say that there is no way Pacquiao should get a 50 - 50 split! Mayweather is right! Pacman needs Floyd more than he needs Manny! Pac ought to be ashamed of himself for even asking for that!

Finally, I am going to drop this one last thing, then I am done with Mayweather vs. Pacquiao. If it happens, it happens.....

During the premiere episode of "The Fight Game with Jim Lampley", Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer shared his thoughts on what the purse split should be for a proposed mega­fight between undefeated pound­ for­ pound champion Floyd Mayweather and 8 ­division world champion Manny Pacquiao. "Well, you know what Jim? I think he should get the lion's share and I think fair is fair," Schaefer commented when asked if he thought Mayweather's stance of not agreeing to a 50/50 split was standing in the way of making the fight a reality. In fact, Schaefer believes that both fighters should absolutely get what they're worth and the best way to figure that out is to let an outside accounting firm look at the numbers that each man has produced over the years, compare them, and ultimately determine a fair ratio.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article12409.html

Now, THAT sounds fair to me! I wonder if Manny and his team will go for something like that? I suspect that the answer would be no as it makes the purse somewhere in the neighborhood of what was already being offered!

Yes, you are a Mayweather nut hugger. It's sad bro. I'm a neutral boxing fan, to answer your question.

1) Mayweather earns more money per fight partially because he promotes his own fights. He's a free agent now. He keeps all of his earnings. Whereas, Manny has to pay Bob Arum and other people a lot of money. My statement that Manny was the highest paid boxer in 2010 and 2011 is a fact. Now, is it because he fights more than Floyd? Sure. But he also has to pay his promoters and other people, something which Floyd doesn't have to do and it inflates Floyd's earnings per fight.

2) What does it matter if Floyd offer Manny $40 mil? Just because "Manny has never earned that much before" doesn't mean Manny should say yes. Cmon man, this is simple business 101.

If you own 10 businesses, and all of your businesses have sold for less than $20 mil each, but the current business that you are selling is WORTH $100 mil.... are you really going to accept a $40 mil offer because "that's the most you have ever gotten".... ?? No. Value is value, independent of past sales. The business is worth $100 mil, doesn't matter what past sales were.

Same for Manny. Manny has been the #1 ranked pound for pound fighter in the world. He brings a lot of value to the fight and this will also be Floyd's biggest payday, not just Manny's.

3) At some point, you have to sit back and wonder where Floyd's competitive heart is. Manny has been ranked ahead of Floyd, as a better boxer, for a long time now. If Floyd is cool with retiring having never fought the best fighter out there, his legacy will be that of a coward and his place in all time greats will take a nosedive. You got to believe any real champion of the past, Ali, Robinson, etc.. would have made this fight happen already JUST TO PROVE WHO IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD ALREADY.

and the reason you couldn't "get me to respond to your question" is simply because I have already said my points. I would just be repeating myself to someone who is obviously drinking the Mayweather kool-aid and... it appears doesn't care much about boxing history. I'd never be cool with any boxer, even if it was my favorite one, to duck and dodge a fight that clearly has to happen.

You can New Jack Swing on Manny's nuts! Your argument is still severely flawed. The business part cracks me up! Manny shouldn't sell his business short but Floyd should simply to satisfy your warped code of honor? Who is really drinking the Kool-Aid?

I sort of feel like Al Pacino in Godfather 3. Every time I try to get out, you draw me right back in! Ok, Manny was the P4P King until recently, made more money than Floyd in 2010 & 2011 and he brings a lot of value to the fight. Did I get all of that right?

Mayweather makes more per fight because he promotes himself. Manny has to pay for promotion. They both have to pay others outside of what was just mentioned. Have you ever asked yourself this? If Manny is such the huge draw that you claim he is that he deserves to get a 50 - 50 split with Floyd, why does he still have to pay for promotion? Why isn't he a free agent? Maybe he would wind up making less?

Furthermore, if the fight happens it should be the largest payday Floyd has ever had! That still doesn't mean Manny should get paid the same as he has never shown that he can generate the type of numbers that Floyd can. It has nothing to do with those silly assumptions of yours (fear, scared, ducking, etc.). Bring in the accountants. Let them take a look and determine what each should get. I'm with that and in my opinion, it's fair. You need some theme music to go with your swinging. I'm gonna help you out...

[video=youtube;4TRbJoLXna0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TRbJoLXna0[/video]

You can New Jack Swing on Manny's nuts! Your argument is still severely flawed. The business part cracks me up! Manny shouldn't sell his business short but Floyd should simply to satisfy your warped code of honor? Who is really drinking the Kool-Aid?

Why doesn't Floyd offer 60-40 and 40% of PPV? 60-40 and 100% of PPV is a duck deal. That's not a fair offer.

Expecting fighters to have championship heart and wanting to prove themselves is "warped code of honor" ? I feel very comfortable knowing I have the moral high ground over you on this one. Many people would agree with me, in fact.... if this could somehow be related to the Dolphins... we would all humiliate a guy who is all about the $$ and doesn't value championship competitive desire.

and I already repeated myself. I am a neutral fan. I don't even root for Pacquiao as I don't like his boxing style.

Why doesn't Floyd offer 60-40 and 40% of PPV?

Because he doesn't have to! Got it?

60-40 and 100% of PPV is a duck deal. That's not a fair offer.

That deal is evidently fair to enough people and they don't appear to be budging. You know, after doing the brief amount of research that I have regarding this topic I am convinced that Floyd's assessment is more accurate that Manny's camp. The numbers speak for themselves. Floyd's businesses consistently sell for substantially more that Manny's!

Expecting fighters to have championship heart and wanting to prove themselves is "warped code of honor" ? I feel very comfortable knowing I have the moral high ground over you on this one. Many people would agree with me, in fact.... if this could somehow be related to the Dolphins... we would all humiliate a guy who is all about the $$ and doesn't value championship competitive desire.

Man, you don't have moral anything over me! Floyd has already proven time and time again that as a fighter, he IS championship caliber! I'm sure many individuals agree with him or he would not have taken the stance that he has.

and I already repeated myself. I am a neutral fan. I don't even root for Pacquiao as I don't like his boxing style.

You keep making that neutral fan statement and now you say you don't like Pac's boxing style. :D

I challenge you find anything in this thread or others where I claim to be a Mayweather fan. My first post in your thread was basically a statement of me saying that both camps were at fault for the fight not happening. As I mentioned above, my opinion has changed since my first post. It is abundantly clear to me that Floyd deserves to make more if the fight should ever occur. That has nothing to do with my allegiance, which I STILL have not stated. The numbers convinced me.....

A fifty/fifty split would be the most money floyd ever made as well. None but manny could pull that amount of cash for him either. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

A fifty/fifty split would be the most money floyd ever made as well. None but manny could pull that amount of cash for him either. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

But, paying a 50 - 50 split to someone who has consistently earned half of what Floyd has been able to earn is plain foolish. That's the way boxing has been for quite a while. The fighter that has more of an ability to draw the huge paydays gets the most money. The numbers show that Mayweather has that type of ability. Why should the practice change now? Sorry, that ain't a duck Bro...

Back
Top Bottom