McCain and Jones to IR | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McCain and Jones to IR

It's a combo of both. But I saw Andre Goodman go on a hot streak causing turnovers for us in 2008, get a nice contract from Denver and fall off a cliff. I saw Deltha O'Neal have 9 ints one year for Denve5, be so bad the next year they switched him to WR, and then get traded to Cincy and have 10 INTs. I dont think he would ever be considered a shut down cb.

Bottom line Minkah wanted to go. Here he was going to be asked to be a top guy, and in Pittsburgh he is arguably the 5th or 6th most important player on the defense. He is allowed to react more than be asked to create. Let's see if his play was a hot streak or luck
I hear you but his play has been helping them win games. If somehow they get to the playoffs he will have played a big role in the turnaround. Their pass defense is immensely better statistically than Pre Minkah.

It's a combo of both. But I saw Andre Goodman go on a hot streak causing turnovers for us in 2008, get a nice contract from Denver and fall off a cliff. I saw Deltha O'Neal have 9 ints one year for Denve5, be so bad the next year they switched him to WR, and then get traded to Cincy and have 10 INTs. I dont think he would ever be considered a shut down cb.

Bottom line Minkah wanted to go. Here he was going to be asked to be a top guy, and in Pittsburgh he is arguably the 5th or 6th most important player on the defense. He is allowed to react more than be asked to create. Let's see if his play was a hot streak or luck

Andre Goodman who had 5 int in a year with Miami. Then went to Denver and had 5 int in his first year? That’s falling off a cliff?

The Minkah trade was terrible. There is no way to defend it.

I hear you but his play has been helping them win games. If somehow they get to the playoffs he will have played a big role in the turnaround. Their pass defense is immensely better statistically than Pre Minkah.
It is, but look at the passing offenses they played pre and post Minkah.

Andre Goodman who had 5 int in a year with Miami. Then went to Denver and had 5 int in his first year? That’s falling off a cliff?

Would you say Goodman was good or lucky if in 8 years of his career he averaged a little over 1 INT a year, but in those two years he averaged 5? That's the thing with interceptions. If you're actually a ball hawk, it's usually consistent year over year. Sure, some years you might have 7 and others 3-4, but you usually aren't 0-1. It's such a small number that the fluctuations due to luck are pretty big.

Minkah trade terrible?

Let's wait until April to determine that, it's not like we gave up Derwin James...

Would you say Goodman was good or lucky if in 8 years of his career he averaged a little over 1 INT a year, but in those two years he averaged 5? That's the thing with interceptions. If you're actually a ball hawk, it's usually consistent year over year. Sure, some years you might have 7 and others 3-4, but you usually aren't 0-1. It's such a small number that the fluctuations due to luck are pretty big.
Revis went from 10 to 0 one year I think. Look, to put Minkah in any kind of Paul Krauss or Ed Reed conversation, he has to do what he’s doing for a long time to come. I for one an more pissed that we didn’t play him where Pitt is playing him as it seems to suit him best. As for luck, I don’t buy that - it’s Pitt using him to his strengths, game planning etc and he’s making plays. Of course he won’t continue to average 1 takeaway a game for the rest of the year but it does show IMO that we were not using him correctly.

Minkah's stats are going to look similar to his stats now by the end of the year. I think it's luck, you don't. Luckily it's an observable outcome.

A trait of good players is 'being in the right place at the right time' or, as some say, 'has a nose for the football.' I think MF is overhyped by some here, but his INTs/fumble recoveries aren't purely luck

Revis went from 10 to 0 one year I think. Look, to put Minkah in any kind of Paul Krauss or Ed Reed conversation, he has to do what he’s doing for a long time to come. I for one an more pissed that we didn’t play him where Pitt is playing him as it seems to suit him best. As for luck, I don’t buy that - it’s Pitt using him to his strengths, game planning etc and he’s making plays. Of course he won’t continue to average 1 takeaway a game for the rest of the year but it does show IMO that we were not using him correctly.
Well, to be fair Revis was probably the best cover corner in NFL history. Teams literally just gave up throwing to his entire side of the field and it's hard to get picks as a shadow cover corner when nobody throws your way. Minkah's job is literally to free lance. I'll give him credit that he seems to be where the ball is going, but I'm still not bent out of shape with that trade until I know what we got for the pick.

Well, to be fair Revis was probably the best cover corner in NFL history. Teams literally just gave up throwing to his entire side of the field and it's hard to get picks as a shadow cover corner when nobody throws your way. Minkah's job is literally to free lance. I'll give him credit that he seems to be where the ball is going, but I'm still not bent out of shape with that trade until I know what we got for the pick.
Completely fair.

There are some who are absent from reality. There are more considerations to roster moves than talent, cap hit being one. We can't forget 'rookie X is bad THIS year, so he's a bust.' Or, my favorite, 'why did Grier sign/cut pick-a-name.'

Back to topic, I don't understand the love for McCain by the staff, unless he was considered 'best of the bad,' but I think Rowe's play disproved that.
Moving him to S was a head scratcher.

At the time, I assumed it had to do with his (good) understanding of the system, and knowing the assignments.

As it turned out, knowing them, and executing them are two different things.

Revis = A+
Prime time = A+++

JMO

Revis best all around in his prime.
Sanders has more all pro selections, more pro bowl selections, more games played, more playoffs (where he changed games).

It really is opinion though, you aren't going to go wrong with either one, in man coverage.

Edit to add: more ints

Back
Top Bottom