McCain Sits 1st Quarter...Defense Dominates 1st Quarter.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McCain Sits 1st Quarter...Defense Dominates 1st Quarter....

If the call was zone, the middle man is at fault, if it was man then it's X.

IMO when you call Cover 0 on 3rd and 20, the 3 defensive backs are responsible for taking 1/3 of the field. I think Howard made the right call taking the man who ran at him and the safety in the center of the field had to swap to the man running the quick slant. It was honestly the perfect play call for the defensive play we ran.

there is 0 deep zone coverage in cover 0. that's why it's called cover 0. it is a straight up man coverage blitz. there is no cover 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 zone shell, so no one is responsible for any 1/3 of the field.

Webster started and went out. Howard went out. It was only a matter of time before Pitt gained momentum. Really everything changed when Howard gave up the big gain on 3rd down when Pitt was backed up in their own terrirtory. Has nothing to do with McCain. Lewis and Needham are easily two of the worst corners "pro" corners I have ever seen. They should never be allowed on an NFL field. Lammons and Wiltz also have no business playing meaningful snaps. Good thing we're trying to lose and we can throw meaningful right out the window.

there is 0 deep zone coverage in cover 0. that's why it's called cover 0. it is a straight up man coverage blitz. there is no cover 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 zone shell, so no one is responsible for any 1/3 of the field.

I fully understand Cover 0 is man to man. However, when you have all 3 of your backs lined up 15+ yards off the LoS it leaves you wide open to plays exactly like what happened. X was so far off his man that even if he sprinted at him the dude was catching the ball and making a play. My point was that the safety turned his head instead of keeping everything in front of him. Again a concept from zone defense but when you’re essentially lined up in 3 deep coverage you can’t expect man to man coverage to work. It was simply a terrible defensive play call.

McCain was bad. Had about 6-8 good games. Got paid. And immediately reverted back to being bad
he was good in 2017 in slot. Got rewarded for slot play. 2018 no boundary corner steps up so they move him to boundary. 2019 flores decides he should play free safety.
So it wasn't like he just sucked. They did this to themselves by moving him. Just like signing that Brice McCain I think. 2015. Was signed as a slot but moved him to boundary out of need. Didn't work out. Just create extra more holes.

Biggest thing to me is why they picked McMain to play safety insidead of Fitzpatrick. Think about that. I still don't understand that.

McCain can make a play when he's in position, which is good. But....he's not athletic enough to be in a position enough or make fast breaks on the ball. We need to upgrade his position in the offseason.

Back
Top Bottom