McClain at 12? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McClain at 12?

fins99

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So I have been reading a bunch of threads on McClain and ran into some youtube videos that our friend ckparrothead created (thanks ck). I for one i'm not in favor to draft him at 12. I though he was an OK linebacker with size and good measurables. But i did not see an explosive ILB ala Lewis or Willis, the only two ILB I would draft that early. Rolando was not aggressive enough and did not read plays as well as Lewis and Willis did in college. He plays high, which is not too much of a problem in college with his strengh and size, but will get blocked by NFL OL pretty easily. He did not shed blocks particularly well and matched the other guys intensity when blocked, but never was more intense than the guy blocking him. In other words, I did not see the explosion to the ball or the block that I was expecting of someone talked about as high as him. Watch Lewis, Willis, and even Zach's college tape to see what an ILB should look like as far as intensity and aggressiveness. As BP says "if they bite as pups..." I didn't see Rolando "bite".

At 12 I rather have an impact player that can change the game. OLB, WR, FS, or NT are needs at impact positions.

Take a look and tell me if you agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJwMCgaxKo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhG6bwopKTc

So I have been reading a bunch of threads on McClain and ran into some youtube videos that our friend ckparrothead created (thanks ck). I for one i'm not in favor to draft him at 12. I though he was an OK linebacker with size and good measurables. But i did not see an explosive ILB ala Lewis or Willis, the only two ILB I would draft that early. Rolando was not aggressive enough and did not read plays as well as Lewis and Willis did in college. He plays high, which is not too much of a problem in college with his strengh and size, but will get blocked by NFL OL pretty easily. He did not shed blocks particularly well and matched the other guys intensity when blocked, but never was more intense than the guy blocking him. In other words, I did not see the explosion to the ball or the block that I was expecting of someone talked about as high as him. Watch Lewis, Willis, and even Zach's college tape to see what an ILB should look like as far as intensity and aggressiveness. As BP says "if they bite as pups..." I didn't see Rolando "bite".

At 12 I rather have an impact player that can change the game. OLB, WR, FS, or NT are needs at impact positions.

Take a look and tell me if you agree.

he looks alot better than Channing Crowder

I'd definately take him at 12. you said you read a bunch of other threads about this, find it hard to believe theres anything to add to this one that hasn't already been touched in the 300 others.

I'm curious what NT, or safety, or hell even WR ( if dez is gone at 12) that you actually find worthy of the 12 pick. He IMO, is the safest pick at 12 if dez is gone.
can't think of one NT, WR or safety that will be around at 12 that wouldn't be a reach.
berry will be gone, dez bryant will be gone.

you've confused me.

McClain isn't very fast by any means but he has very good instincts and idk what you saw but he does a great job at using his hands and shedding blocks. No he is not the next Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, Brian Urlacher, or Zach Thomas but he is still a lot better than what we currently have. Personally I'm hoping for Dez Bryant at #12 but I wouldn't be upset with McClain at all.

I think the only threads you're reading are the ones in which people don't want to draft Rolando McClain at 12. Guy is good....real good.

I think the only threads you're reading are the ones in which people don't want to draft Rolando McClain at 12. Guy is good....real good.

You are right there are a lot of threads about drafting him and that is what I meant, that I differ from the mob on this one.

mcclain did more as a sophmore than some guys do in an entire career.

not to say there aren't some areas that could improve. but he's certainly not a guy that isn't going to get any better. His potential isn't already maxed out.

are these two clips you chose, the sole reason you don't want this guy at 12?

also, still curious as to the NT and S you think we can get at 12 that wouldn't be a severe reach.

assuming, berry and bryant are gone. there isn't a NT worth the 12 pick. IMO, the only pick we will get a NT will be 43, as 12 is too early and our third rounder, I think 72.. will probably be too late.

I'd definately take him at 12. you said you read a bunch of other threads about this, find it hard to believe theres anything to add to this one that hasn't already been touched in the 300 others.

I'm curious what NT, or safety, or hell even WR ( if dez is gone at 12) that you actually find worthy of the 12 pick. He IMO, is the safest pick at 12 if dez is gone.
can't think of one NT, WR or safety that will be around at 12 that wouldn't be a reach.
berry will be gone, dez bryant will be gone.

you've confused me.

Dez would be great at 12, but you are right he is probably gone by then. Starting a rumor and watching Berry drop to us would be great as well. But not likely either, so...I would go with Dan Williams at NT over Brandon Graham at OLB, just cause NT is a bigger need than OLB. I would be happy with either but if both are there...Even Jermaine Gresham would be a better pick though not as much of a need as the previously mentioned positions. He, like Graham and Williams, can change a game from their positions. I don't think McClain can from his. He was protected by a talented DL, not to mention huge i.e. Cody, and did not dominate games like you would expect a MLB would do in his shoes (size, speed, and talented teammates). I think he was in a lot of plays, but they were because he was running free to the ball. Not exactly a dominant ILB that takes on and sheds blocks at the hole. That would be worth the 12th pick.

Berry, C.J.Spiller, Dez Bryant...in that order...worst case, I'd take McClain. I just hope one of these dudes I just mentioned will be there when our time is up! Would love so bad to see Dez a Dolphin!

he looks alot better than Channing Crowder

That's for sure! I just think that we will have our pick of BPA at other need positions than that one. His talent and position is not game changing enough to warrant that high of a pick, in my humble opinion.

Sack the QB and stopping the run are the two things a successful defense must do. OLB and NT are of higher importance talent wise in a 3-4.

Back
Top Bottom