McDaniel on QB Tua Tagovailoa's potential for next season: "I can see a hunger in him" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel on QB Tua Tagovailoa's potential for next season: "I can see a hunger in him"

Awesome I hope I am wrong!! I want nasty, salty jacked Tua!! Is that Mostert? Could be the angle. LFG TUA!!!
Tua is definitely not small. I have said over and over he actually needs to get more trimmed. He actually had issues in college of putting on bad weight. Tua has gotten up to like 230 at one point in college. Last year he was like 225 I would bet. Out of college he was 217 but that was also shortly after the hip injury. Tua needs a better diet, maybe too much Hawian BBQ? I would like to see him trim down, less fat more muscle and be in that 215 range. Probably add some quickness as well. To kinda put Tua's weight in prospective just look as some other QBs.
Tua at 6' is 220 or so
Burrow at 6'4 is 220
Mahomes at 6'3 220
Lawrence at 6'6 is 215

Anyway Tua is not small, but I still think he needs to focus on transforming his body weight some.

Tua is definitely not small. I have said over and over he actually needs to get more trimmed. He actually had issues in college of putting on bad weight. Tua has gotten up to like 230 at one point in college. Last year he was like 225 I would bet. Out of college he was 217 but that was also shortly after the hip injury. Tua needs a better diet, maybe too much Hawian BBQ? I would like to see him trim down, less fat more muscle and be in that 215 range. Probably add some quickness as well. To kinda put Tua's weight in prospective just look as some other QBs.
Tua at 6' is 220 or so
Burrow at 6'4 is 220
Mahomes at 6'3 220
Lawrence at 6'6 is 215

Anyway Tua is not small, but I still think he needs to focus on transforming his body weight some.
I can agree with that

This is so dumb on so many levels. JFC you guys just want to dump on Tua anyway you can.

The JAG WR who has never done crap until Tua was throwing him the ball and in this system dumps on Tua after not even getting a contract offer from Miami this offseason. Yep so believable, why because you want to dump on Tua. Meanwhile the All PRO WR Hill says Tua is the most accurate passer he has ever seen. And I will bet you just say well he is just sticking up for his teammate.

Go watch film on Tua and try and understand what you are watching. There is a reason he was one of the highest rated passers in college history, there is a reason scouts had him rated as a generational prospect (was #1 lock before injury). Miami has tried their hardest to screw this kid up. First they played him way before he was back to football level shape after a major injury. Then a dumb ass HC (who was a dick) hired a OC that was fired and out of coaching for multiple years to pair with a journeyman QB that played for 16 years and never once got a team to the playoffs.

Last season was basically the first year Tua had under actual NFL level coaching and he led the league in multiple stats and was top 5 in pretty much every metric you can find. The kid is going to get even better as well. First time ever he will be in the same offense 2 years in a row.

Here is what the stats say. Tua was just fine throwing the ball were it should be. Sherfield just isn't a good WR and probably wasn't were he should be. When your career catch rate is 56% over 3 teams in 5 years you don't blame the QB. Hill who played with the best QB in the NFL for his career, came here and had career highs in yards and catches. He also average a half yard more per catch vs career average and was 2% higher on catch rate over career average. Waddle with Tua at QB last year lead the NFL at over 18 yards per catch and as a deep threat still had a catch rate of 64%.

So anyone believing the crap that came out of JAG Sherfields mouth, doesn't know crap about NFL QB play.
So let me the get this straight you are the same guy who complaining about trolls responding to every comment about Tua and yet here you are. Wow you can't make this up and guess what you do in typical fashion, you turn around bash another player, based on comments on how the offense in Buffalo was similar to Miami, but hey it's forum board if that makes you feel better then good for you.
It really isn't ruffling feathers, because it is the same 5 or so posters in every single thread about Tua that say the same stupid crap every time.

It is just frigging annoying, we all know about Tua and his injuries. This fing thread had nothing to do with that. They act like little children and just can't refrain from saying it over and over. It is literally like the last thing these guys (who hate Tua) have to stand on, so they just say it over and over. You don't see a bunch of posters running into every Tua thread and just saying Tua #1 pass rating in the NFL over and over with nothing else?
This was you yesterday!!! This is just too funny!! You can't make this stuff up!! You literally respond to my post about Tua being the best QB.

Tua at 6' is 220 or so
Burrow at 6'4 is 220
Mahomes at 6'3 220
Lawrence at 6'6 is 215

100 percent been talking about it for years..

he needs to focus on getting quicker and he is holding bad weight in his midsection, glutes and thighs, lower body is large, needs to add musculature to the upperbody for symmetry

So let me the get this straight you are the same guy who complaining about trolls responding to every comment about Tua and yet here you are. Wow you can't make this up and guess what you do in typical fashion, you turn around bash another player, based on comments on how the offense in Buffalo was similar to Miami, but hey it's forum board if that makes you feel better then good for you.

This was you yesterday!!! This is just too funny!! You can't make this stuff up!! You literally respond to my post about Tua being the best QB.
WTF are dense or just don't understand what trolling is. Let me explain it to you. 39 Wildman trolls every thread because all he ever says on anything Tua related is some one line joke about injuries. Hence he is trolling because he never actually offers anything of substance on the topic. I said if a poster only responded with the same 1 line response of #1 pass rating to ever critical comment of Tua it would be the same.

As you can see I didn't use some 1 line crap, when I disagree with you assine opinion that Tua just throws and hopes the WR is there. You absolutely don't put up the numbers Tua did doing that crap. What Tua does is read the D and anticipate where the WRs should go and throws to that spot. That is what good QBs do. If is was so easy to just throw it and hope the WR is there guys like Kyle Boller would gave 10 SBs, great physical tools, but couldn't read a D or throw a WR open to save his life.

Good QB/WR combos are as they say almost always on the same page. You want to see a great example of this go watch Rodgers/Adams. So many times Rodgers throws the ball to Adams before he even makes his break. Why? Because Rodgers makes the correct read and trusts that Adams will as well and be were he placed the ball. Then watch Rodgers last year (still very good) but you saw him get pissed multiple times at WRs because they did make the correct route reads.

WTF are dense or just don't understand what trolling is. Let me explain it to you. 39 Wildman trolls every thread because all he ever says on anything Tua related is some one line joke about injuries. Hence he is trolling because he never actually offers anything of substance on the topic. I said if a poster only responded with the same 1 line response of #1 pass rating to ever critical comment of Tua it would be the same.

As you can see I didn't use some 1 line crap, when I disagree with you assine opinion that Tua just throws and hopes the WR is there. You absolutely don't put up the numbers Tua did doing that crap. What Tua does is read the D and anticipate where the WRs should go and throws to that spot. That is what good QBs do. If is was so easy to just throw it and hope the WR is there guys like Kyle Boller would gave 10 SBs, great physical tools, but couldn't read a D or throw a WR open to save his life.

Good QB/WR combos are as they say almost always on the same page. You want to see a great example of this go watch Rodgers/Adams. So many times Rodgers throws the ball to Adams before he even makes his break. Why? Because Rodgers makes the correct read and trusts that Adams will as well and be were he placed the ball. Then watch Rodgers last year (still very good) but you saw him get pissed multiple times at WRs because they did make the correct route reads.
You crack me up. Stats are dropped by poster like you whenever they fit your narrative, but even though they are all facts, they do not tell the whole story. The point I was making was that Tua has to improve on reading defense. You make it seem as though Sherfield was being malicious when he was just explaining how the two offenses are similar. I am not going to use this post to bash Tua, but I would like to know why his completion rate decreased so dramatically over his last four games, and we can't include the Packers game because he suffered a concussion. He played well against Buffalo, but they played zone, so Waddle had a field day and I admit he dropped a few passes.

We are dealing with 2 different quarterbacks here compared to his first 8 games. In terms of Hill saying Tua is the most accurate passer, I don't see how he can say that when he's never played with him at that time, it's ridiculous. As far as Hill is concerned, he is amazing, but I also wonder about his character. First, he complained that KC didn't use him properly, but that comment is puzzling because Hill had a career-high in targets and yards in 2021, making it baffling as to why he said that. The part that hurts me the most is that they traded him and KC won the Super Bowl, so it makes me wonder what was really going on over there in KC at the time. In spite of this, I believe that he was trying to be a good teammate. Here is my question for you why the sudden drop in completion and his worst game was against back ups. Common theme was man bump coverage to disrupt the timing and from what we can see it worked. How does he adjust to this.

Tua stats.png

You crack me up. Stats are dropped by poster like you whenever they fit your narrative, but even though they are all facts, they do not tell the whole story. The point I was making was that Tua has to improve on reading defense. You make it seem as though Sherfield was being malicious when he was just explaining how the two offenses are similar. I am not going to use this post to bash Tua, but I would like to know why his completion rate decreased so dramatically over his last four games, and we can't include the Packers game because he suffered a concussion. He played well against Buffalo, but they played zone, so Waddle had a field day and I admit he dropped a few passes.

We are dealing with 2 different quarterbacks here compared to his first 8 games. In terms of Hill saying Tua is the most accurate passer, I don't see how he can say that when he's never played with him at that time, it's ridiculous. As far as Hill is concerned, he is amazing, but I also wonder about his character. First, he complained that KC didn't use him properly, but that comment is puzzling because Hill had a career-high in targets and yards in 2021, making it baffling as to why he said that. The part that hurts me the most is that they traded him and KC won the Super Bowl, so it makes me wonder what was really going on over there in KC at the time. In spite of this, I believe that he was trying to be a good teammate. Here is my question for you why the sudden drop in completion and his worst game was against back ups. Common theme was man bump coverage to disrupt the timing and from what we can see it worked. How does he adjust to this.

View attachment 139739
Meh Tua faced plenty of man bumb coverage early as well.
Breaking down those 5 games.
Texas. Tua was killing them in the first half with almost 300 yards and that was with 5 drops by Miami in the first half. Second half remember both tackles were out was hit every time he dropped back (3 sacks as well).
San Francisco. Best D on NFL, but this was to me by far Tua's worst game. He was just flat out off on like 5-8 throws that would have been big plays. And that is rare for Tua just to flat out miss his target.
LA this game just pissed me off like no other. The refs flat out swallowed the whistle on LAs DBs. Hill was flat out mugged all game, that is why BU DBs were able to stay with him. Go watch an all 22 of this game, Hill was complaining to the refs all game as well. Now Tua forced some throws, but also was maybe the worst game called by McDaniel all year.
Buffalo- this was a night game on Saturday (flexed) short week after being on the west coast. Cold and wind as well as some snow against the #2 ranked scoring D. Tua was still good in this game. Ya the competition % could have been a little better, but some of his guys really could have helped. There was 3 drops, one for a TD. Tua was only credited with 4 bad passes all game.
Green Bay- not sure why even include this game pre concussion. Had 20 points at half and was at midfield driving late until RM fumble.

So basically when you start adding context Tua had two bad games. Remember everyone claimed the same thing you are saying after the Pittsburgh game as well. They played tight man and tried to tale away the middle of the field.People claimed that was going to be the blue print to stop Tua. What happened Tua went on one of the best 3 game stretches in NFL history.

Tua is absolutely fine against man/bumb coverage. Tua is good on reads(needs to keep improving) and he is elite ar reading leverage and throwing before a WR even goes into his break (which is absolutely how you beat man). One of his biggest issue is he takes to most risk at times because he thinks he can beat almost any coverage with his accuracy (gunslinger mentality/hero ball). McDaniel has alluded to this that he has to understand when to just take the easy checkdown in certain situations instead of going downfield.

Edit: Also it was training camp when Hill said that about Tua, so yes he was playing with him already.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom