McDaniel on QB Tua Tagovailoa's potential for next season: "I can see a hunger in him" | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel on QB Tua Tagovailoa's potential for next season: "I can see a hunger in him"

Meh Tua faced plenty of man bumb coverage early as well.
Breaking down those 5 games.
Texas. Tua was killing them in the first half with almost 300 yards and that was with 5 drops by Miami in the first half. Second half remember both tackles were out was hit every time he dropped back (3 sacks as well).
San Francisco. Best D on NFL, but this was to me by far Tua's worst game. He was just flat out off on like 5-8 throws that would have been big plays. And that is rare for Tua just to flat out miss his target.
LA this game just pissed me off like no other. The refs flat out swallowed the whistle on LAs DBs. Hill was flat out mugged all game, that is why BU DBs were able to stay with him. Go watch an all 22 of this game, Hill was complaining to the refs all game as well. Now Tua forced some throws, but also was maybe the worst game called by McDaniel all year.
Buffalo- this was a night game on Saturday (flexed) short week after being on the west coast. Cold and wind as well as some snow against the #2 ranked scoring D. Tua was still good in this game. Ya the competition % could have been a little better, but some of his guys really could have helped. There was 3 drops, one for a TD. Tua was only credited with 4 bad passes all game.
Green Bay- not sure why even include this game pre concussion. Had 20 points at half and was at midfield driving late until RM fumble.

So basically when you start adding context Tua had two bad games. Remember everyone claimed the same thing you are saying after the Pittsburgh game as well. They played tight man and tried to tale away the middle of the field.People claimed that was going to be the blue print to stop Tua. What happened Tua went on one of the best 3 game stretches in NFL history.

Tua is absolutely fine against man/bumb coverage. Tua is good on reads(needs to keep improving) and he is elite ar reading leverage and throwing before a WR even goes into his break (which is absolutely how you beat man). One of his biggest issue is he takes to most risk at times because he thinks he can beat almost any coverage with his accuracy (gunslinger mentality/hero ball). McDaniel has alluded to this that he has to understand when to just take the easy checkdown in certain situations instead of going downfield.

Edit: Also it was training camp when Hill said that about Tua, so yes he was playing with him already.
Ok man.

Good debate Dan and Rasta. You both make compelling arguments. Hard to decide this one. Please continue. đź‘Ť
Umm it’s not a good debate, one presents conclusive facts and detailed analysis, the other presents twitter conjecture and statements like “you can’t make this up” and lols. This is a classic woodshed moment and it’s difficult to watch someone get beaten that badly.

Umm it’s not a good debate, one presents conclusive facts and detailed analysis, the other presents twitter conjecture and statements like “you can’t make this up” and lols. This is a classic woodshed moment and it’s difficult to watch someone get beaten that badly.
Good debate Dan and Rasta. You both make compelling arguments. Hard to decide this one. Please continue. đź‘Ť
thanks much appreciated it's to nice to have a nice back and forth. Also, the comment above is a prime example of someone who doesn't have the context of everything but want to apply it to a broad statement.

thanks much appreciated it's to nice to have a nice back and forth. Also, the comment above is a prime example of someone who doesn't have the context of everything but want to apply it to a broad statement.
But didn’t dan just give a whole lot of context and you just basically shrugged it off?

But didn’t dan just give a whole lot of context and you just basically shrugged it off?
I replied to Dan. I may not have met your expectations, but I did. I didn't go any further with the conversation because of the blame game. Whenever you try and pass the blame down to the coaches and the referees, the conversation just dies from there after a certain point. In the game against the Chargers, they schemed Tua very well, so instead of saying he played poorly, the refs and coaching were blamed for his performance. How can you have a discussion without bringing any accountability to the conversation? Additionally, he pointed out that between 5-8, Tua's throws against the 49ers were off. What caused him to miss those throws? He was off so badly because the 49ers disrupted the timing patterns, and the Chargers did the same thing more effectively. Why was his performance better vs the top-rated defense?

Last we talked about Hill saying that Tua was the most accurate passer he has ever played with. Many didn't see how he can say such a thing when he has never played with him previously. His response was that Hill made those comments during training camp. So there was no need to continue conversation it wasn't challenging anymore, especially when it came to the training camp comment.

To be clear, the point that I was trying to make was that Tua needs to improve at reading the field and the defense in order to play well. Not every play is going to stick to the script. He needs to be able to create off-script as well.

ho-hum-come-fly-with-me.gif

Attachments

• 1680110833625.jpeg
    1680110833625.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 0
I replied to Dan. I may not have met your expectations, but I did. I didn't go any further with the conversation because of the blame game. Whenever you try and pass the blame down to the coaches and the referees, the conversation just dies from there after a certain point. In the game against the Chargers, they schemed Tua very well, so instead of saying he played poorly, the refs and coaching were blamed for his performance. How can you have a discussion without bringing any accountability to the conversation? Additionally, he pointed out that between 5-8, Tua's throws against the 49ers were off. What caused him to miss those throws? He was off so badly because the 49ers disrupted the timing patterns, and the Chargers did the same thing more effectively. Why was his performance better vs the top-rated defense?

Last we talked about Hill saying that Tua was the most accurate passer he has ever played with. Many didn't see how he can say such a thing when he has never played with him previously. His response was that Hill made those comments during training camp. So there was no need to continue conversation it wasn't challenging anymore, especially when it came to the training camp comment.

To be clear, the point that I was trying to make was that Tua needs to improve at reading the field and the defense in order to play well. Not every play is going to stick to the script. He needs to be able to create off-script as well.
It was not a blame game it is adding context. This all started with your claim the Tua can't read a D and only throws and hopes the WR is there, which was based of some tweet by Sherfield. Then you said he can't beat man coverage, and picked a stretch of games and used nothing but completion % to try and support that claim. It was dumb, Tua beat man coverage left and right all year.

What I did was add context to every single game, not just make assumptions off a single stat (completion %) in a box score. Just look at your talk about the SF game. Complete BS, Tua was bad no doubt about as I said his worst game as it was all on him for the most part. Yet it had nothing to do with SF disrupting timing (play zone most the time) routes. The routes were there all day. Tua just was flat off on ball placement (was high all day). Yet despite that I believe Tua still managed the highest pass rating against SF all year. Then in the Chargers game I said Tua had a bad game, but it wasn't all on him. LAC didn't out scheme Tua, as you say, LAC out schemed the Miami Dolphins. LAC played aggressive coverage (and yes the refs let them play physically) WR were not getting any separation all game. We never changed up the playcalling though (McDaniel even said he called a bad game) we needed to run some more, and some counter type plays to make them pay for being overly aggressive, but we didn't (screens, quick slants, check down options).

Yes Tua needs to improve on reads, so does every 3rd year QB (and in a new offense). But is well above NFL average on reads, not even close to poor as you say. Also the whole can't beat man/press was a throw crap at the wall and hope it sticks. Tua is just fine vs man and roasted plenty throughout the year.

Also WTF with the Hill and camp crap. Do think our star WR was not playing with our starting QB during all of training camp?

It was not a blame game it is adding context. This all started with your claim the Tua can't read a D and only throws and hopes the WR is there, which was based of some tweet by Sherfield. Then you said he can't beat man coverage, and picked a stretch of games and used nothing but completion % to try and support that claim. It was dumb, Tua beat man coverage left and right all year.

What I did was add context to every single game, not just make assumptions off a single stat (completion %) in a box score. Just look at your talk about the SF game. Complete BS, Tua was bad no doubt about as I said his worst game as it was all on him for the most part. Yet it had nothing to do with SF disrupting timing (play zone most the time) routes. The routes were there all day. Tua just was flat off on ball placement (was high all day). Yet despite that I believe Tua still managed the highest pass rating against SF all year. Then in the Chargers game I said Tua had a bad game, but it wasn't all on him. LAC didn't out scheme Tua, as you say, LAC out schemed the Miami Dolphins. LAC played aggressive coverage (and yes the refs let them play physically) WR were not getting any separation all game. We never changed up the playcalling though (McDaniel even said he called a bad game) we needed to run some more, and some counter type plays to make them pay for being overly aggressive, but we didn't (screens, quick slants, check down options).

Yes Tua needs to improve on reads, so does every 3rd year QB (and in a new offense). But is well above NFL average on reads, not even close to poor as you say. Also the whole can't beat man/press was a throw crap at the wall and hope it sticks. Tua is just fine vs man and roasted plenty throughout the year.

Also WTF with the Hill and camp crap. Do think our star WR was not playing with our starting QB during all of training camp?
Your up next Rasta 🍿

I missed that... Can you point me in the right direction?

That talks about the tweet. But some on here (the usual suspects) have twisted it to mean Tua throws and hopes or some nonsense. In the Hunger thread I was debating it with Rasta. Some how he turned it into Tua can't read a D so if they play man/press coverage Tua is bad at it. He believes if a WR is bumped of his timing Tua struggles, just stupid crap like that.
Edit meant Hungwr thread nit Elliot thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom