McDaniel the most impressive new Head Coach in the NFL? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel the most impressive new Head Coach in the NFL?

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Part of our 347 Club forum is a thread on All things Mike McDaniel. Here's a small treat from that thread for you to enjoy ~

1656105978550.png

Part of a really good article:
Recently, Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer and Connor Orr went back and forth answering questions regarding the NFL offseason so far, and one of the questions was about which head coach has been the most impressive. Breer sided with Denver’s Nathaniel Hackett, but Orr picked Miami’s leading man, Mike McDaniel.

Here’s what Orr said about the Dolphins head coach and the situation he’s put his team in:

“The Dolphins head coach can recruit, and despite what you may think about Tyreek Hill’s comments on Tua Tagovailoa’s accuracy and how they could almost certainly backfire, he is already creating a sense of comfort around the quarterback. Tagovailoa has been hung out to dry by this organization for far too long.”
McDaniel has been a player favorite at every stop in his career, and the Dolphins have has been no different. He’s even been able to bring some players from San Francisco to Miami like Raheem Mostert, Trent Sherfield and River Cracraft. Coaches Jon Embree and Wes Welker followed him as well to South Florida.

Last edited:
All seems positive. Hopefully that translates to excellent prep and execution on game day. I’ll say this - he’s the only coach we’ve had since Shula tried (‘92-‘95) whose attempted to stack talent on top of talent. He gets it. It’s amazing to me how every coach we’ve had since Shula (including JJ) didn’t understand that you don’t sign Mike Wallace and let Reggie Bush walk for $3.5mil per year. You just creates a neutral situation. Every coach has done some flavor of this. Shula got Keith Jackson, Byars, EJ Junior, Gary Clark, Golic, Emtman, Atkins, Stewart, Eric Green, etc to try and stack a roster in those years. It got us to an AFC title game and a crap FG kick vs SD away from a probable SB bid. We haven’t come close since. No one has stacked the roster. Until our new HC.

We will see once the team faces some in game adversity. Weeks 1-6 should give us some challenges that will test our resolve and leadership.
I keep reading this but I'm not judging him after only half a season.

Every new coach has a learning curve.....and it's not 6 games.

I understand. I'm not judging his long term value on the first 6 weeks either, but the OP is about the question of is McDaniel the most impressive New HC in the league right now. I think the first third of the season along with this Camp on OTA period will be a fair amount of time to evaluate if he is doing the best of the new coaches.

The season needs to start already. None of this matters until we start getting into some games that count.

I am down with the excitement to be certain. However, he's 0-0 at this point. Gase had fans at this point though not as many. So did Flores. The Parcells dynasty was going to be amazing or so we thought. I think we all disliked Cameron the entire time. I can't speak for Philbin though he was as boring as the team he fielded.

I hope he's the next Shula. But he's 0-0 at this point so let's just stay positive. It appears he's doing all the right things.

I'd much rather we didn't have such a brutal start. I could see a lot of the offensive play calls being on the "innovative" side. If initial success is poor, I could see some saying the play calling is too "cute/complex/gimmick reliant".

I would love to see a successful "Shanahan style running attack". That could take time to implement and acquire the right guys.

Honestly, even if we lose games what matters is what we actually did right in those loses. You can't fault the coach for everything. Greatest coaches still have losses in their record.

I'd much rather we didn't have such a brutal start. I could see a lot of the offensive play calls being on the "innovative" side. If initial success is poor, I could see some saying the play calling is too "cute/complex/gimmick reliant".

I would love to see a successful "Shanahan style running attack". That could take time to implement and acquire the right guys.
While I'm not a fan of overdoing "gimmick" plays, I don't consider innovative/unconventional necessarily gimmick plays. Today's game is largely one of maneuver, obfuscation, and assignment soundness. When you develop a game plan you look for flaws and weak spots in the defensive alignments and tendencies, then exploit them accordingly. An offense has to do things that catch a defense guessing and off balance, forcing them to adjust.

Despite the fact that McD has never called plays, and his youth, he has been around the league and pretty much seen it all. I doubt he can be surprised or hoodwinked.

Back
Top Bottom