McKinney, NAILS, and PERRY.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McKinney, NAILS, and PERRY....

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I would like to bring up some interesting line movements.....if two things....develop.

I am already penciling in at RG....LEON SEARCY. As long as he remains healthy......from what I have been hearing....SEARCY is a huge upgrade in talent...over TODD PERRY.

Now....lets say that the Dolphins do ask LG MARK DIXON to shift over to LT....something that he does not really want to do...but if asked...will.

Now....You have both BRENT SMITH and MARCUS SPRIGGS as your backup Tackles. That is depth...

Now...if the Dolphins do not cut TODD PERRY (after June 1st)....you have PERRY, NAILS, and newcomer SETH MCKINNEY all battling out for the LG position. Mckinney...by the way...will be seeing time at LG when he returns. He was primarily used at C....they did not want to give him too much to think about yet.

So with these various scenarios.....you can see that the Dolphins could visualize this starting line:

LT....DIXON
LG....EITHER PERRY, NAILS, Mckinney (doubtful at first)
C.....TIM RUDDY
RG......LEON SEARCY
RT.....TODD WADE

Couple this....with the added depth of ANTHONY CESARIO...and TROY ANDREW......and you can see.....that this years competition may be one of the stiffest in years.

I hope so because after what happened last year we will need all the healthy bodies we can get .... I am sure that there will be some guys who were hurt last year , that can come in and play well but i am not to happy with the health of this line. I am also troubled by the fact that we went after Krutz and didnt get him ..this was a huge screwup! Now not only dont we get the long time anchor at center ...but ruddy is got to be dissappointed and perhaps discouraged....although everyone says hes not ...ANY professional NOT bothered by this is either lying or just doesnt give a **** .

I predict problems here on the line with health and especially chemistry which i have not seen since the 2000 season ...too many guys coming and going for the chemistry to take hold ...I really hope i am wrong but ive got a bad feeling here.

Sounds good to me. I`d like to see "BIG NAILS" get his shot at LG. I think Ruddy would do well to have the 2 big guards (Searcy being the other) at his flank. Now.....if they could all get healthy and stay that way..........

That's not a very good line. Nails and Spriggs were cast off of a team that finished 3-13. Searcy hasn't played in ....Gulp....2 YEARS. You guys don't have many weaknesses, but O-line is one of them.

Originally posted by Billsfan
That's not a very good line. Nails and Spriggs were cast off of a team that finished 3-13.

Yeah, the Bills would never get rid of someone good.:rolleyes: Antwain Smith

bruce smith ..thurman thomas...kurt shultz....sam cowart

Originally posted by badfoot
I am also troubled by the fact that we went after Krutz and didnt get him ..this was a huge screwup!
Kreutz screwed the Fins by using us to get more money from the Bears who he always wanted to sign w/ :fire: there was nothing Rick or Wanne could do :(

DCH - our line really looks deep, but not necessarily awesome. But if you throw in RW and Norv as well as a more mature Jay and CC and you have a chance the a SB quality O. :D

P.S. I am really rooting for Searcy at RG, but have concerns w/Dixon at LT.

Originally posted by Billsfan
That's not a very good line. Nails and Spriggs were cast off of a team that finished 3-13. Searcy hasn't played in ....Gulp....2 YEARS. You guys don't have many weaknesses, but O-line is one of them.

I read somewhere that when Nails was RG and Spriggs was RT, the Bills averaged close to 5.0 ypc when they ran behind them. And Nails has really come on lately. I just don't see him as a LG.

If Searcy is healthy, he's a dominator. Most NFL people have seen him as a true RG playing RT his entire career.
And Dixon.......he's simply the most talented OLman on the team. Jimmy said that no matter where you line him up, he's the best at the position.

The depth looks good but not when you consider that Injuries are a huge part of the equation. You can't ignore the fact that

Searcy, has missed two seasons
Smith, one season
Spriggs, one season
Dixon, half season

IMO, LT is a huge question mark because all three players tapped to play that position are coming off of Major injuries and caused them to miss significant time last season.

If the line plays out as predicted in this post, I fear we might need all the depth, to make it through the season.

Yes, but we have many players WITH talent at LT. There is a good chance that one of them will step up. Searcy has a lot of talent as well, but if he doesn't pan out, we always have Nails, or Ruddy. They also have talent, not as much as Searcy, but they have decent talent.

loooking at the depth we have and the younger player with time to gel it would just have to get better right

there is no way that this line will be worse than last year...spencer folou sucks,perry played at a new position,ruddy and wade were not 100% all year and dixon broke his leg...we also had a NEW OL COACH with different blocking schemes...we also have RICKY this year instead of lamar...this ol will be fine

Don't get me wrong guys. I realize that there is a better chance of this line improving over last season than not. But I can't look past the fact that our LT candidate are all coming off season's which were cut short by injury.

While another season ending injury is not likely, I think Searcy is proof positive that it can happen!

Your right an OL of

LT Dixon
LG Nails, Perry, Mckinney
C Ruddy
RG Searcy
RT Wade

is an improvement over last seasons.

On another note, I'm putting my money on Cesario winning the LG battle, IMO Perry will be a June 1 cut and they go with Andrew, Nails, Mckinney as backup lineup.

If this scenario plays out then, they need to bring a young LT prospect to groom on the practice squad.

Back
Top Bottom