McLaurin: Young could be better than Bosa brothers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McLaurin: Young could be better than Bosa brothers

He looks like a can't miss BEAST to me.

I would agree he is a better prospect than either of the Bosa's, but Nick has such a great motor to go with his talent that it will be pretty damn impressive if Young surpasses him him the NFL.

Here's Lance Zierlein's scouting report on Chase Young. I thought it was fair. He has Young rated the top player in the draft but lists a string a weaknesses that seems correct to me. Zierlein doesn't mention the questionable test scores in vital test categories toward defensive end. He correctly points out that Young was a non-factor in the loss to Clemson, instead of the laughable pretension that Young was continually setting things up for others:

Here is a link to Zierlein's entire scouting report list by name. You can also check by position or by school. I am most interested by the NFL comparisons. In a quick look I appreciated the Justin Herbert to Carson Wentz comparison the most. Wentz has turned into too much of a line drive zinger and Zierlein properly summarizes Herbert's game that way, saying he lacks touch and that the limited repertoire on that type of throw causes hesitation on short and midrange targets. Burrow is compared to Kurt Warner. Tua is rated very high but the comparison is Mark Brunell.:

Bosa has already proven he can do in the NFL.....Young hasn't played a down in the NFL yet. People need to slow down here.

Here's Lance Zierlein's scouting report on Chase Young. I thought it was fair. He has Young rated the top player in the draft but lists a string a weaknesses that seems correct to me. Zierlein doesn't mention the questionable test scores in vital test categories toward defensive end. He correctly points out that Young was a non-factor in the loss to Clemson, instead of the laughable pretension that Young was continually setting things up for others:

Here is a link to Zierlein's entire scouting report list by name. You can also check by position or by school. I am most interested by the NFL comparisons. In a quick look I appreciated the Justin Herbert to Carson Wentz comparison the most. Wentz has turned into too much of a line drive zinger and Zierlein properly summarizes Herbert's game that way, saying he lacks touch and that the limited repertoire on that type of throw causes hesitation on short and midrange targets. Burrow is compared to Kurt Warner. Tua is rated very high but the comparison is Mark Brunell.:

Wentz was my comp for Herbert, too. You highlighted one of the two major issues with Herbert. The other one is also well known. At times, he freezes - like someone's controller dies. Wentz also has this issue. Most of the time, he and Herbert, will step up in the pocket and look just fine, but it's not like Tua or Burrow, who navigate the pocket with a 6th sense.

Was rewatching some Herbert last night, and one area where he deserves more credit imo is consistently getting the ball into tight windows. Unless the D blew the coverage, his receivers REALLY struggled to separate, and they couldn't make up for it by being excellent jump-ball receivers. He famously had an excellent OL, but I do think his WR's and the screen-heavy playcalling held him back some. Dillon Mitchell was the best WR Herbert played with, and he went in the 7th RD.

When I look at the totality of Herbert's career, his physical tools, and the flashes of greatness, I see a good bet. I'd want to sit him a year and loosen him up, but he does enough things at a high level for me to feel good about building around him - and enough for me to say that QB's should go 1, 2, 3 in 2020. We've talked about it over and over, but the payoff for a QB hitting is so much greater than any other position.

Wentz was my comp for Herbert, too. You highlighted one of the two major issues with Herbert. The other one is also well known. At times, he freezes - like someone's controller dies. Wentz also has this issue. Most of the time, he and Herbert, will step up in the pocket and look just fine, but it's not like Tua or Burrow, who navigate the pocket with a 6th sense.

Was rewatching some Herbert last night, and one area where he deserves more credit imo is consistently getting the ball into tight windows. Unless the D blew the coverage, his receivers REALLY struggled to separate, and they couldn't make up for it by being excellent jump-ball receivers. He famously had an excellent OL, but I do think his WR's and the screen-heavy playcalling held him back some. Dillon Mitchell was the best WR Herbert played with, and he went in the 7th RD.

When I look at the totality of Herbert's career, his physical tools, and the flashes of greatness, I see a good bet. I'd want to sit him a year and loosen him up, but he does enough things at a high level for me to feel good about building around him - and enough for me to say that QB's should go 1, 2, 3 in 2020. We've talked about it over and over, but the payoff for a QB hitting is so much greater than any other position.

The inconsistency in his game is what bothers me sometimes.

Although Jordan Reid, a fantastic draft guy imho, said if you put Herbert in a vertical passing attack he's going to flourish. He rates him 3rd this year behind Burrow and Tua.

The inconsistency in his game is what bothers me sometimes.

Although Jordan Reid, a fantastic draft guy imho, said if you put Herbert in a vertical passing attack he's going to flourish. He rates him 3rd this year behind Burrow and Tua.

I like Reid, too, and agree that Herbert is #3 and that a different system would suit him well. I watched the Auburn and Washington games last night, and - for the most part - when he was holding the ball, it wasn't because he wasn't seeing the field; it was because his WR's were blanketed. He doesn't process as quickly or gracefully as Tua and Burrow, but he's better here than Wentz was coming out.

At the end of the day, every QB's ceiling will be determined by his playcaller/designer - as well as the OL and weapons. Of the Top 3, I think Tua has the best chance at being like Wilson or Watson - someone who can still play at a high level despite mediocre/bad playcallers. But, that's not going to translate to SB's unless they get more help. Wilson's two SB appearances were the result of great QB play overcoming bad playcalling and a super-elite D, which is hard to count on.

My point is just that it's OK to need a good situation if you have the skills to capitalize on it, because without a good situation, even the QB only matters so much - even though he matters way, way more than any other player.

Interesting! Could you see a scenerio where the Dolphins too see what you see and selected him over a questable-helathy-wise or unavailable Tua(Someone other than the Dolphins draft him before they're selection)?

I like Reid, too, and agree that Herbert is #3 and that a different system would suit him well. I watched the Auburn and Washington games last night, and - for the most part - when he was holding the ball, it wasn't because he wasn't seeing the field; it was because his WR's were blanketed. He doesn't process as quickly or gracefully as Tua and Burrow, but he's better here than Wentz was coming out.

At the end of the day, every QB's ceiling will be determined by his playcaller/designer - as well as the OL and weapons. Of the Top 3, I think Tua has the best chance at being like Wilson or Watson - someone who can still play at a high level despite mediocre/bad playcallers. But, that's not going to translate to SB's unless they get more help. Wilson's two SB appearances were the result of great QB play overcoming bad playcalling and a super-elite D, which is hard to count on.

My point is just that it's OK to need a good situation if you have the skills to capitalize on it, because without a good situation, even the QB only matters so much - even though he matters way, way more than any other player.

Such a eloquent response J.

I agree with all of it.

Interesting! Could you see a scenerio where the Dolphins too see what you see and selected him over a questable-helathy-wise or unavailable Tua(Someone other than the Dolphins draft him before they're selection)?

I bet if Tua is gone, Miami will look to Herbert and Love.

All signs point to them being all in on Tua.

I bet if Tua is gone, Miami will look to Herbert and Love.

All signs point to them being all in on Tua.

Did you say Herbert AND Love? Draft 2 QBs? If so, What's the thinking behind that move?

I still think drafting Tua and sitting him in 2020 is the best option (even if Burrow was available). But, they're all great QB prospects, with different strengths and weaknesses, so I could see a team having Herbert as QB1. Of the top guys, he has by far the best physical tools. How you weigh that (specifically for QB's) vs the other traits is one of the more subjective areas in player analysis. It also depends on what you ask of your QB.

So, I do think it's a possibility, but it's not my preferred outcome.

The Chiefs LT couldnt stop Bosa all game lol.

I still think Chase is Gholston 2.0

care to wager on that? Gholston was so bad , the Jets knew the first day of practice they we’re screwed.

The way I look at it is that IF Tua does not hurt his hip Miami does not get near him in the Draft.

So if you are confident in the medicals on his hip you bet big and grab him at 5, or give up some capital and move up to 3 and get him.

The payoff is worth the risk especially considering Herbert and Love having doubts as well.

If the hip scares your medical team then obviously you stay away. In that even I am trading down, snapping up Herbert or taking the best defensive front 7 player on the board at 5.

Back
Top Bottom