McMichael Earns Most Performance Pay/Dolphins Strongly Considering Edwards | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McMichael Earns Most Performance Pay/Dolphins Strongly Considering Edwards

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-0407dolphins,0,3817182.story?coll=sfla-sports-front
McMichael received the highest total on the 2004 Dolphins roster in performance-based pay, which is money awarded from an NFL pool to players based on a comparison of playing time to salary.

Setting franchise single-season records for catches (73) and receiving yards (791) for a tight end helped McMichael earn a $107,599 bonus in addition to his $380,000 base salary, according to statistics acquired from the NFL Players Association. McMichael's reception total also triggered a $25,000 escalator clause for 2005 that boosts his base salary to $480,000.
Dolphins coach Nick Saban said last week that the team wanted to complete a long-term extension for McMichael before he could become a free agent in 2006.

The Dolphins could gain additional salary-cap space if they trade cornerback Patrick Surtain, who counts $8.4 million against the Dolphins' 2005 cap of $85.5 million. The Dolphins and Kansas City are discussing a trade involving Surtain but are at a stalemate regarding compensation.

If the Dolphins can't reach an agreement on extending McMichael's contract, the team could designate him its franchise player. That would greatly diminish McMichael's attractiveness in free agency.
Kicker Bill Gramatica, who appeared in only one game, earned the lowest amount of performance-based pay at $952. Wait and see on WR Lee
:laughat:Bill Gramatica
The Dolphins met with free-agent wide receiver Charles Lee earlier this week but a signing is unlikely before the draft April 23. A source said the Dolphins might be waiting before adding another receiver to their roster because the team is strongly considering selecting Michigan's Braylon Edwards with the No. 2 pick.

I hope Saban doesn't let McMichael walk, I wouldn't even want to get any compensation for him either, I want him to stay. 73 catches and 800 yards as a TE with Fiedler and Feeley throwing you the ball is a monstrous effort. I just hope he doesn't ask for something massive contract wise.

Does anyone know how much it would cost approximately if we were to franchise him?

Of course we're considering Edwards..We're considering everyone. Darn you Saban. At least it will pay off come draft day.

2.67m is the charge this year if I'm not mistaken. Next year maybe 2.8m?

Not that that much really.

By the way that draft and trade thing usually doesn't work out all that well because of contracts and all. Better to make trades and then draft.

Dolfan2788 said:
Does anyone know how much it would cost approximately if we were to franchise him?

About 2.5-3 million. Besides kickers, the TE franchise tag is the lowest.

Thanks for the info Jaj and Byroan.

I wouldn't mind giving up 2.8 if it means we can give him a long term contract in the future. Surprise surprise this was actually a good pick up by Wanny in the midst of all his other busts and failures in the draft.

byroan said:
About 2.5-3 million. Besides kickers, the TE franchise tag is the lowest.
The stupidest one is FB. They count as RBs. Then again I guess one could simply say their player was a FB and then have a cheap tag on them, so maybe it's for the best.

I love Saban and his mind games. Is it any coincidence that he has showed great interest in Alex Smith and now someone is making it public that we are seriously condsidering Edwards? I think not. Those are probably the 2 players that someone would actually be willing to trade up for and therefore are best shots at a trade down because someone fears we may take them ourselves. I like the way Saban is handling this whole thing, not revealing his cards and finally making someone else sweat the draft out. Unlike someone else we know.

NJPHIN34 said:
I love Saban and his mind games. Is it any coincidence that he has showed great interest in Alex Smith and now someone is making it public that we are seriously condsidering Edwards? I think not. Those are probably the 2 players that someone would actually be willing to trade up for and therefore are best shots at a trade down because someone fears we may take them ourselves. I like the way Saban is handling this whole thing, not revealing his cards and finally making someone else sweat the draft out. Unlike someone else we know.

Don't think for a second that Saban might not a QB though or actually take Edwards. The man is cunning.

NJPHIN34 said:
Like those guys in that Guinness beer commercial say, "Brilliant!"

I'd be very happy if we ended up with Rodgers.

Back
Top Bottom