McShay has the Dolphins trading down with Carolina and taking Smith at #8 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McShay has the Dolphins trading down with Carolina and taking Smith at #8

As much as any other trade down in NFL hx, yes

What if two teams trade up to 4 and 5? So now I’ve got a top 10 pick and I’m looking at my second choice. Nope I want my guy or I get a first next year.

The wide receivers in this class are more equal and interchangeable than the quarterbacks. If I am looking for my franchise, that’s a critical quarterback choice. Wide receivers don’t make your franchise, Waddle or Bateman, meh. Either one at 12 or so, no real difference.

What if two teams trade up to 4 and 5? So now I’ve got a top 10 pick and I’m looking at my second choice. Nope I want my guy or I get a first next year.

Fair enough. Just MHO, but I suspect any team willing to trade down has 2-3 players in mind - not just one - AND have a good idea who teams between #3 and #6 will take AND the likelihood on a team trading up to get one of my targets. No, there are no guarantees in anything involving humans, but, if I have 2-3 targets and I'm moving 3 spots, I take that deal.

I am hoping to see all 5 of our top picks become starters this year. That third rounder could easily be a Center or a Safety... and we'd get a good one in that spot... or even a MIKE LB. Those 5 picks could really change the complexion of this team.
I would love to see that too, but I also recognize that it isn't a high probability expectation, at least not out of the gate.

We did have that very situation at times last season, so it is not impossible. Our situation is quite different this year.

The more realistic prospect, is that all of our top picks are meaningful contributors over the course of the year.

I would love to see that too, but I also recognize that it isn't a high probability expectation, at least not out of the gate.

We did have that very situation at times last season, so it is not impossible. Our situation is quite different this year.

The more realistic prospect, is that all of our top picks are meaningful contributors over the course of the year.
As usual... I agree with that. That would be the target, and if we get more... great!

Just as an example... (assuming no trades, which I think is a bad assumption) we could go Sewell, Bateman, J. Williams, Amon-Ra St. Brown, and Chazz Surratt... and all of them might start. (though the WRs would likely see split-time).

There are dozens of different combinations which would give us 5 full-time or part-time starters here. If we trade down for #3, it could be 6, or even 7, because that is about how many holes that we have on our roster.

Yes, it is unlikely that ANY GM would hit on all of his early picks, but it is the goal.

Last edited:
Guessing they would restructure
I've posted this many times, but the team who gets Watson would be responsible for about 28M per year, not 40. That 40 number keeps coming up and it is 100% incorrect.

As usual... I agree with that. That would be the target, and if we get more... great!

Just as an example... (assuming no trades, which I think is a bad assumption) we could go Sewell, Bateman, J. Williams, Amon-Ra St. Cloud, and Chazz Surratt... and all of them might start. (though the WRs would likely see split-time).

There are dozens of different combinations which would give us 5 full-time or part-time starters here. If we trade down for #3, it could be 6, or even 7, because that is about how many holes that we have on our roster.

Yes, it is unlikely that ANY GM would hit on all of his early picks, but it is the goal.
It's very hard to hit an all your picks of course but if we trade down and lets say we get an extra 2nd this year which means 5 players in the first two rounds then I totally expect all 5 would contribute at the very least. You're not asking 7th round players to start. These would be 1st and 2nd round players and with the hole we have they either start at some point soon or we picked the wrong player/players.

It's very hard to hit an all your picks of course but if we trade down and lets say we get an extra 2nd this year which means 5 players in the first two rounds then I totally expect all 5 would contribute at the very least. You're not asking 7th round players to start. These would be 1st and 2nd round players and with the hole we have they either start at some point soon or we picked the wrong player/players.
Absolutely...

We all know that the talent level tends to drop way off on the third day of the draft, but these picks aren't from there. All of these picks will be legitimate prospects. Not longshot 5'6" receivers or 215 lb LBs...

If we could get just one extra pick... great!

If we could get two... or three... or a couple this year and another next year. Man, that is the way to go.

I just don't understand the guys who get stuck on certain players. They focus in on one or two guys and convince themselves that these guys are the only answer. Danny, you know me... I love linemen... I love Sewell... but I'll trade him for 4 two-day picks... in a heartbeat.

Absolutely...

We all know that the talent level tends to drop way off on the third day of the draft, but these picks aren't from there. All of these picks will be legitimate prospects. Not longshot 5'6" receivers or 215 lb LBs...

If we could get just one extra pick... great!

If we could get two... or three... or a couple this year and another next year. Man, that is the way to go.

I just don't understand the guys who get stuck on certain players. They focus in on one or two guys and convince themselves that these guys are the only answer. Danny, you know me... I love linemen... I love Sewell... but I'll trade him for 4 two-day picks... in a heartbeat.
I'd trade down from 3 just for a 2nd this year plus a first in 2022

If we trade back some team will probably swipe our player at 7. Seems to happen a lot the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom