Meeuwsen and Jerman released. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Meeuwsen and Jerman released.

PhinsTD

Phins fanatic
Joined
Jul 21, 2002
Messages
4,397
Reaction score
63
Didn't see this discussed, don't come by every day though so may have missed it.

We just gave Jerman an extension last year, but I figured he's be edged out by all the talented depth we have this year.

Alabi remind anyone else of Wade Smith?
 

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,132
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Location
LA
PhinsTD said:
Didn't see this discussed, don't come by every day though so may have missed it.

We just gave Jerman an extension last year, but I figured he's be edged out by all the talented depth we have this year.

Alabi remind anyone else of Wade Smith?

Let me guess the fact that he was a TE before... :shakeno:

Look at a picture of the two of them. Look at their strength numbers. Look at their scouting reports. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT players...
 

PhinsTD

Phins fanatic
Joined
Jul 21, 2002
Messages
4,397
Reaction score
63
Jaj said:
Let me guess the fact that he was a TE before... :shakeno:

Look at a picture of the two of them. Look at their strength numbers. Look at their scoutin reports. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT players...

I don't know why you have such a no-it-all attitude, but people have different opinions of players and that's ok.

They look like the same players to me, smaller frame guys who both need to add serious weight but have athleticism. Alabi has solid weight room numbers, but he sure doesn't have a good hand punch, ala Smith.

Alabi needs to gain serious upper body strength and weight and mass to his body.

Players listed at 310, are not always that size you know. People come here to discuss things with people who may have different views. It's kind of poor form to roll your eyes because you feel differently than someone else. IMO.
 

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,132
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Location
LA
PhinsTD said:
I don't know why you have such a no-it-all attitude, but people have different opinions of players and that's ok.

They look like the same players to me, smaller frame guys who both need to add serious weight but have athleticism. Alabi has solid weight room numbers, but he sure doesn't have a good hand punch, ala Smith.

Alabi needs to gain serious upper body strength and weight and mass to his body.

Players listed at 310, are not always that size you know. People come here to discuss things with people who may have different views. It's kind of poor form to roll your eyes because you feel differently than someone else. IMO.

So crucify me for giving my frank opinion :lol:

No they aren't the same players because Alabi looks chiseled atleast at his current weight while Smith wasn't in the same shape. Alabi's arms are quite a bit longer. Also Alabi does not have a small frame. If I think your wrong I'll say it. I won't sugarcoat it.
 

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
Messages
7,177
Reaction score
0
Age
45
Location
Hamilton, Ontario
Jaj said:
So crucify me for giving my frank opinion :lol:

No they aren't the same players because Alabi looks chiseled atleast at his current weight while Smith wasn't in the same shape. Alabi's arms are quite a bit longer. Also Alabi does not have a small frame. If I think your wrong I'll say it. I won't sugarcoat it.

Except Wade Smith benched the 225 24 times while Alabi did it 18 times.

Alabi does have the longer arm reach though.
 

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,132
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Location
LA
VanDolPhan said:
Except Wade Smith benched the 225 24 times while Alabi did it 18 times.

Alabi does have the longer arm reach though.

Similar to Jason Taylor. I remember when he barely did the minimum of 13 at that Pro Bowl competition in early 03. I can relate too. I have long arms and I can't bench as much as my best friend even though I'm definitely stronger than him.

Alabi looks like a LT while Smith doesn't. Alabi does have one similarity to Smith in that they both have very good lower body strength while they both need better upper body strength. Smith could would make a great C if he could understand the mental aspects of the position.
 

Dolfan984

Active Roster
Joined
Sep 3, 2001
Messages
9,682
Reaction score
12
Age
38
Location
Bay Area, California
Jaj said:
Similar to Jason Taylor. I remember when he barely did the minimum of 13 at that Pro Bowl competition in early 03. I can relate too. I have long arms and I can't bench as much as my best friend even though I'm definitely stronger than him.

Alabi looks like a LT while Smith doesn't. Alabi does have one similarity to Smith in that they both have very good lower body strength while they both need better upper body strength. Smith could would make a great C if he could understand the mental aspects of the position.

Bro you're absolutely right. My arms are long for my height (6'4") and even though I'm stronger than most of my friends/the people I work out with my bench is always been fairly weak...but it doesn't mean my chest is weak...I just have to do longer reps. :p

Smith > McKenney
 

Jimi

The World Is Yours
Club Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
8,773
Reaction score
4,088
Age
31
Location
Tallahassee
Jaj said:
Similar to Jason Taylor. I remember when he barely did the minimum of 13 at that Pro Bowl competition in early 03. I can relate too. I have long arms and I can't bench as much as my best friend even though I'm definitely stronger than him.

Alabi looks like a LT while Smith doesn't. Alabi does have one similarity to Smith in that they both have very good lower body strength while they both need better upper body strength. Smith could would make a great C if he could understand the mental aspects of the position.

Same deal. Theres two kinds of strengths i believe. Strength in the wieght room and strength you can apply to things such as football.

I have crazy long arms, so look weaker in the weight room. But i could muscle most my friends who do more then me.
 

painnotpleasure

Hall Of Famer
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
6,948
Reaction score
4
Location
Maryland
PhinsTD said:
Didn't see this discussed, don't come by every day though so may have missed it.

We just gave Jerman an extension last year, but I figured he's be edged out by all the talented depth we have this year.

Alabi remind anyone else of Wade Smith?
Yup, you also forgot RB Avon Cobourne. He was also released earlier in the week along with Greg Jerman and Mitch Meeuwsen.
 

Dolfan1000

Hall Of Famer
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
6,263
Reaction score
3
THEY WERE!?!?!?!?!?!?

Thats news to me!


JK- but this is actually very old news, which is why you probably didnt see anything being discussed. No worries.
 

wonderl33t

Club Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2003
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
13
Location
FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS
Dolfan984 said:
Bro you're absolutely right. My arms are long for my height (6'4") and even though I'm stronger than most of my friends/the people I work out with my bench is always been fairly weak...but it doesn't mean my chest is weak...I just have to do longer reps. :p

Smith > McKenney

Wow, you have no idea how pleased I am to read this, because I have long arms too (6'2" with a wingspan of 6'6") and I have a terrible time getting my bench numbers up. I try to do more than I should, and it makes my shoulders pop and then I have to quit. I always thought there was somethin wrong with me, but the long arms thing makes sense now lol
 

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,132
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Location
LA
wonderl33t said:
Wow, you have no idea how pleased I am to read this, because I have long arms too (6'2" with a wingspan of 6'6") and I have a terrible time getting my bench numbers up. I try to do more than I should, and it makes my shoulders pop and then I have to quit. I always thought there was somethin wrong with me, but the long arms thing makes sense now lol

Think about it this way. When you have short arms your gonna lift the bar far lower than a guy with longer arms. Having shorter arms your strength is concentrated over a lesser area. When you have longer arms you have to make up for that. The same with pushups. I used to hate that abot having long arms. It's great though for basketball, tennis, or some positions in football. Guys with long arms can't play RB, FB, and MLB. I used to have fun though playing WR in the slot in high school because when your tall and have long arms your QB can just throw the ball up and it's a TD.
 

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
3,067
Reaction score
3
Age
45
Wasn't there an insider article by Marvez of the SS discussing the fact that Alabi looks quite small to play LT? I don't have that service but I only saw it on the question part of the website.
 
Top Bottom