Mel Kiper is just throwing darts...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper is just throwing darts......

Section126

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I use to swear by some of his stuff......It is now obvious that this guy is full of shat.

Check out some of his quotes:

His look ahead to the 2005 draft right after last years draft:

"Cadillac Williams will be the first runningback chosen and backfield mate Ronnie Brown will be a nice find for somebody in the 2nd round."

At the conclusion of the 2004 college season:

"Cedric Benson will be a top 3 pick, he has the explosiveness of a Ricky Williams without the baggage, Cedric is head and shoulders above the RB's in this draft."

Prior to the combine:

"The high riser in this draft is Ronnie Brown, he has now solidified himself as a top 10 pick and possibly the best RB in the draft."

After the combine:

"There are three Rb's that will definately be good pros, But one that has the potential to be a star right away, that player is Carnell Williams."

His final Draft publication:

"Ronnie Brown is the best RB in this draft and could be the most worthy of a top 5 pick since Ricky Williams."

Today:

"I think all three of these backs will be great players, but I give a slight edge to Ronnie Brown over Carnell Williams, all three in my opinion are interchangeable."

IS THIS GUY FULL OF IT...OR WHAT!

I used to respect Kiper a lot...but I've lost a lot of respect for him this year. It's funny, I remember he used to say that workouts were overrated, that rankings shouldn't be affected much based on 40 times, but he moves players up & down based on their workouts ALL THE TIME.

I still respect his opinion, just not nearly as much as I used to.

He sounds like 90% of the posters on this board.

I agree that Mel is throwning darts, but no more than anyone else on ESPN. Like most pre draft dribble, it is to be taken with a grain of salt.

It is just this years draft.

Some drafts are so obvious how they are going to play out... this year, no one has a clue. Evidently even the 'great draft guru' is struggling.

To me it seems like it seems he goes with the hype. But when he just called Cadillac Williams a better blocker than Ronnie Brown I really question how much he knows. Brown has been called the best blocking RB prospect in a decade, and Williams has been knocked for his blocking.

It sounds like he is just hopping on whatever the current bandwagon is. He is probably reading the same quotes and reports from around the league as we are and is touting whichever player is currently getting the most press.

edit: I was typing this when Sports24/7 posted pretty much the same thing....except he posted first.

Take a look at his draft book. In the player profiles they are made up 90% with info available from the SID or official web site of the player's school. Maybe 10% is real evaluation of the player's strengths and weaknesses on the field. In MY opinion, his draft book is written to be geared toward someone who of about junior high level.
Give me PFW, Russ Lande, Ourlads, TFY or Frank Coyle any day if I want the real nuts and bolts of a player's pro potential.

How can you honestly use that example. Phillip Rivers was a 2nd rounder to more then Just Kiper before the Senior Bowl, then he became the 4th overall pick. Ronnie Brown was a back up, do you want Mel Kiper to look into the future and see what Ronnie would do in the 2004 season. No one can predict the future, no one. He was doing what he was paid to do last year. This guy may not be Belichek in the Film Room breaking down X's and O's, but he spends all his time looking at every player, has access to all he needs, and it's what he gets paid to do. Agree with him or not, he is good at what he does.

DolphinDevil28 said:
I guess he really believes that players' stocks rise and fall that dramatically.
I think he's right and they do.

beejay05 said:
I agree that Mel is throwning darts, but no more than anyone else on ESPN. Like most pre draft dribble, it is to be taken with a grain of salt.

My question is, who isn't throwing darts in this draft? Every "expert" that appears on tv changes his mind or mock rankings every other day. Its just a statement about the lack of "superior talent" at the top of this draft and the overall depth of this draft as a whole.

Players stocks do go up and down alot look at Alex Smith.. From hardly talked about to possible #1 pick. Other guys like Mike Mamula some how went from 2nd round to #7 just from the combine and workouts. GM's just like Mel Kiper get attached to guys and skills and the draft boards tend to be quite different for each team... GreenMonster

Back
Top Bottom