Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
ESPN ran a piece on Jake Long last night. Kiper flat out said that Long PROVED last year that he's a LT and that will be his position in the pros. His movement skills in the highlights were impressive, to say the least. Please, enough of the "Jake Long can't play LT/he's just a RT" crap.

As to this hip pivot argument- It's not often that you see a guy move at 6-7, 315 like I saw JLong move last night. Dude is an ATHLETE.

Really?, that sounds like some of Mel's other great advice from the past...........

"Robert Gallery is a can't-miss tackle prospect and Jake Grove is a nasty center who will upgrade that position. The Raiders needed receivers but did not get them until late with Carlos Francis and Johnnie Morant."

Mel Kiper (Grading the Raiders draft)

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2825346

So much for listening to Mel Kiper grade can't miss tackles going from college to Pro.

Really?, that sounds like some of Mel's other great advice from the past...........

"Robert Gallery is a can't-miss tackle prospect and Jake Grove is a nasty center who will upgrade that position. The Raiders needed receivers but did not get them until late with Carlos Francis and Johnnie Morant."

Mel Kiper (Grading the Raiders draft)

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2825346

So much for listening to Mel Kiper grade can't miss tackles going from college to Pro.

No one gets it right all the time, and Mel Kiper is pretty darned good. Between his opinion and yours..... 'nuff said.

That ESPN piece (on TV) really demonstrates Long's movement skills and quicks, it's well worth seeing for anyone interested in JLong.

No one gets it right all the time, and Mel Kiper is pretty darned good. Between his opinion and yours..... 'nuff said.

That ESPN piece (on TV) really demonstrates Long's movement skills and quicks, it's well worth seeing for anyone interested in JLong.

The point is Jim, Jake Long is not an Orlando Pace type prospect, too risky for #1 overall.

And as far as your shot at me, I'd say I've done as well or better than Kiper over the years of watching the draft and comparing my opinions to his.

It really doesn't matter, Jake Long won't be the 1st pick in the draft and its for the very reasons I've stated, no matter how hard you want it to be.

The point is Jim, Jake Long is not an Orlando Pace type prospect, too risky for #1 overall.

And as far as your shot at me, I'd say I've done as well or better than Kiper over the years of watching the draft and comparing my opinions to his.

It really doesn't matter, Jake Long won't be the 1st pick in the draft and its for the very reasons I've stated, no matter how hard you want it to be.

That's not a direct shot at you- we're all amateurs here, the best of the bunch is Boomer in my opinion, by a long shot. I'm not swearing up and down that I'm right, and furthermore I respect your opinion. In my heart of hearts I do not think that we'll draft Jake Long- a combination of him not being quite the value that one would want out of the #1 overall pick and, maybe more importantly, some damn good tackles should be there at #32 and maybe later. Cases can be made for Dorsey/JLong/CLong/Ryan/ McFadden. They're all great players. I like the synergy that I see with JLong- because I think that he can play LT and allow Vernon Carey to move back to RT where he belongs.

But at #32 there could be so many options, who will fall? Otah, Baker, Cherilius, Chris Williams (a pure LT). Then you have Anthony Collins, Carl Nicks, Heath Benedict, maybe even Barry Richardson. So my best guess is that we take Chris Long and go OT at #32. I would have said Dorsey if we were gong to run a 4-3. And although I like Beck, I won't discount or discredit Ryan.

We'll get some good players- I doubt that Jake Long will be among them. But in my opinion he's going to be a good one.

That's not a direct shot at you- we're all amateurs here, the best of the bunch is Boomer in my opinion, by a long shot. I'm not swearing up and down that I'm right, and furthermore I respect your opinion. In my heart of hearts I do not think that we'll draft Jake Long- a combination of him not being quite the value that one would want out of the #1 overall pick and, maybe more importantly, some damn good tackles should be there at #32 and maybe later. Cases can be made for Dorsey/JLong/CLong/Ryan/ McFadden. They're all great players. I like the synergy that I see with JLong- because I think that he can play LT and allow Vernon Carey to move back to RT where he belongs.

But at #32 there could be so many options, who will fall? Otah, Baker, Cherilius, Chris Williams (a pure LT). Then you have Anthony Collins, Carl Nicks, Heath Benedict, maybe even Barry Richardson. So my best guess is that we take Chris Long and go OT at #32. I would have said Dorsey if we were gong to run a 4-3. And although I like Beck, I won't discount or discredit Ryan.

We'll get some good players- I doubt that Jake Long will be among them. But in my opinion he's going to be a good one.

Boomer is incredible at this, he really should be scouting for an NFL team, and if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong Boom), he has doubts about Jake Long at left tackle in the NFL.

Boomer is incredible at this, he really should be scouting for an NFL team, and if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong Boom), he has doubts about Jake Long at left tackle in the NFL.

I think that you're right, Boomer has doubts about Jake Long at LT in the NFL. I disagree with him. Try to watch that ESPN piece on JLong. It's just a clip, but man can that guy move for a guy his size.

Robert Gallery is exactly what comes to mind when I think of Jake Long. Not because of any sort of skillset that Long/Gallery posesses or because of any sort of physical comparison, but just because Gallery was such a "can't miss" prospect at left tackle and then just didn't work out at all. I don't actually mind Jake Long and I can't say that I would be terribly disappointed in the pick, but I'd much rather go defense at #1 and I'd way rather have Long than Matt Ryan.

Robert Gallery is exactly what comes to mind when I think of Jake Long. Not because of any sort of skillset that Long/Gallery posesses or because of any sort of physical comparison, but just because Gallery was such a "can't miss" prospect at left tackle and then just didn't work out at all. I don't actually mind Jake Long and I can't say that I would be terribly disappointed in the pick, but I'd much rather go defense at #1 and I'd way rather have Long than Matt Ryan.

Did anyone think that Billy Milner would blow that badly? There's no such thing as a can't miss prospect. I'd like to get beyond and rise above the simplistic Gallery/Long comparisons. They're both big, tall, white boy LT's from midwestern colleges in the same conference. Is that it? Long will necessarily fail because Gallery failed at LT? Please.

I think Mel is off base on this one. Long has some serious issues ranging from lateral movement skills all the way to . . . . dare I say it . . . Strength.

Long is an enormous media darling.

didn't long allow only one sack last year. not sure why, but seem to remember this from somewhere. could be wrong though

also, i could be wrong about this too, but i think it's because of mel kiper that we have mock drafts. we should cut the guy a little slack. he has been doing this for years and does watch a lot of football.

^^^ok, not sure where i read that then. my bad. could've dreamt it up or something

Back
Top Bottom