Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle

I think Jake Long is a much better LT prospect than Vernon Carey was coming out of college.

Carey was considred a T/G prospect. More of a G adn even to this day for some raeson they say that. I think hes a great RT he might be an amazing G but T is where he shoudl stay I believe.

You watch DB's to see if they can live on an island or whether they're going to play zone. It's not hard to tell. You watch McKelvin as I did against OSU and you know he can play man. You watch Aqib Talib against Kansas State and you know he's more suited to play cover 2. You watch Talib some more and you wonder would he transition to safety? So how does he tackle? Hmmm. He's not Reggie Smith when it comes to tackling. So he might not be a safety. It's easy stuff.

quote]

whatever happened to King you were so high on? I see mocks of him falling to the third round, I'm sure the combine will ressurect him a bit but not sure back up to the top 15 potential that you projected him. I think he will be a steal in the 2nd esp. if he falls somehow to the 3rd.

Carey was considred a T/G prospect. More of a G adn even to this day for some raeson they say that. I think hes a great RT he might be an amazing G but T is where he shoudl stay I believe.

He was alos considered quite a reach when we took him

He was alos considered quite a reach when we took him

Actually, I dont think that is the truth at all.

From the beginning of the draft Carey was projected anywhere from 12-32. We indeed picked him 19 and wouldve probably passed on him if Shawn Andrews hadve not been taken by the Iggles at 16, but to say he was considered quite a reach is not accurate at all

Actually, I dont think that is the truth at all.

From the beginning of the draft Carey was projected anywhere from 12-32. We indeed picked him 19 and wouldve probably passed on him if Shawn Andrews hadve not been taken by the Iggles at 16, but to say he was considered quite a reach is not accurate at all

Carey was considered a late first round to early second round pick by most draft gurus. We took him early because there were no other worthy tackle prospects left on board. It all depends on perception, some people did not think Ginn was a reach but he was not projected to go that high. On the other hand Quinn was projected to go quite higher and fell to the twenties so where they are projected to go matters little.

Carey was considered a late first round to early second round pick by most draft gurus. We took him early because there were no other worthy tackle prospects left on board. It all depends on perception, some people did not think Ginn was a reach but he was not projected to go that high. On the other hand Quinn was projected to go quite higher and fell to the twenties so where they are projected to go matters little.

Take this for what it's worth
Vernon Carey - First Round Material
http://www.allcanes.com/articles/0404_Carey_FirstRound.html
With the NFL Draft two weeks away, Carey has found his way on to many teams’ wish lists. Miami (at #20), Dallas (at #22) and Carolina (at #31) all like him in the first round and love his size, speed and instinct. Baltimore (at #51) prays Carey slips to the middle of the second round, but knows that chance is slim to none.

At Miami’s on campus Pro Day on February 28th, Carey did 30 reps in the strength lift, ran the 40-yard dash at an average time of 5.33, had a long jump of 7-foot-5, had a 28 inch vertical, benched 225 lbs. 30 times, recorded a 5.0 in the short shuttle and 8.20 in the three-cone drill.

U could find many quotes where he was rated lower also. All draft boards are differant.

Of course all draft boards are different but that doesn't mean he was quite a reach where the Dolphins drafted him.

Carey went about the earliest he could have reasonably expected to go at the time he was drafted. I wouldn't say he was considered a reach, or that he went earlier than expected. I would just say that #20 (he went 19 due to that stupid trade I know) was about the absolute best he could have hoped for on that day...

here are some examples I dont remember any sources rating Carey that high
first scott wright of nfl countdown

. New York Giants (f/SD): Eli Manning, QB, Ole Miss
2. Oakland Raiders: Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa
3. Arizona Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh
4. San Diego Chargers (f/NYG): Philip Rivers, QB, North Carolina St.
5. Washington Redskins: Sean Taylor, S, Miami (FL)
6. Detroit Lions: Roy Williams, WR, Texas
7. Cleveland Browns: Kellen Winslow Jr, TE, Miami (FL)
8. Atlanta Falcons: DeAngelo Hall, CB, Virginia Tech
9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Kenechi Udeze, DE, U.S.C.
10. Houston Texans: Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina
11. Pittsburgh Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami (FL)
12. New York Jets: Jonathan Vilma, ILB, Miami (FL)
13. Buffalo Bills: Lee Evans, WR, Wisconsin
14. Chicago Bears: Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma
15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Michael Clayton, WR, L.S.U.
16. San Francisco 49'ers: Rashaun Woods, WR, Oklahoma St.
17. Denver Broncos (f/CIN): Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon St.
18. New Orleans Saints: D.J. Williams, OLB, Miami (FL)
19. Minnesota Vikings: Will Smith, DE, Ohio St.
20. Miami Dolphins: Reggie Williams, WR, Washington
21. New England Patriots (f/BAL): Marcus Tubbs, DT, Texas
22. Dallas Cowboys: Shawn Andrews, OT-OG, Arkansas
23. Seattle Seahawks: Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami (FL)
24. Cincinnati Bengals, (f/DEN): Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio St.
25. Green Bay Packers: J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane
26. St. Louis Rams: Antwan Odom, DE, Alabama
27. Tennessee Titans: Darnell Dockett, DT, Florida St.
28. Philadelphia Eagles: Kevin Jones, RB, Virginia Tech
29. Indianapolis Colts: Karlos Dansby, OLB, Auburn
30. Kansas City Chiefs: Terry Johnson, DT, Washington
31. Carolina Panthers: Matt Ware, CB-S, U.C.L.A.
32. New England Patriots: Justin Smiley, OG, Alabama

From SI
[FONT=helvetica,arial]32 [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]
patriots_30-1.gif
[/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]T [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Vernon Carey [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Miami (Fla.) [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]6'5" [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]360[/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Sr. [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Mea culpa: Va. Tech's Jake Grove was slotted here; Pats fans were quick to remind me Dan Koppen will be the O-line anchor for many years. Carey can play guard or tackle, as needed[/FONT]

Todd McShay referred to him as a "left tackle" on Sports Center just a minute ago too.

Just because you have a picture of Marlowe in your avatar doesn't mean to say I'm taking it easy on you kid.

;)

You watch DB's to see if they can live on an island or whether they're going to play zone. It's not hard to tell. You watch McKelvin as I did against OSU and you know he can play man. You watch Aqib Talib against Kansas State and you know he's more suited to play cover 2. You watch Talib some more and you wonder would he transition to safety? So how does he tackle? Hmmm. He's not Reggie Smith when it comes to tackling. So he might not be a safety. It's easy stuff.

quote]

whatever happened to King you were so high on? I see mocks of him falling to the third round, I'm sure the combine will ressurect him a bit but not sure back up to the top 15 potential that you projected him. I think he will be a steal in the 2nd esp. if he falls somehow to the 3rd.

Yep, earlier in the season I thought he'd grade out as the number one, but he had a difficult time against James Hardy and his game didn't match up at the elite level that I expected after that. He certainly didn't play to his 2006 form where most thought he would be the top ranked candidate. But there were a number of factors. His sophomore year, they played a lot of bump and run at CB and he did very well and he backed that up earlier in the year. But die to a combination of poor play at safety and Justin suffering a nasty shoulder injury, Penn State shifted to zone coverage, which lessened his impact.

Anyone who watched him as a sophomore year shutting down Ginn and Meacham and Shaun Herbert would know what I was talking about. Shift on a year and see how the system forced him to play against Brian Robiskie; against Ginn in 2006 he tracked him all around the field and held him to 2 catches. In 2007 he played in a deep zone.

But then you know that didn't you scoop.

He really wasn't at all.

Thats your opinion but does not make it so. Most sources had Carey late first round to early second. Some people thought Ginn was a reach some did not.
Its all just opinions one way or another. Carey was considered somewhat of an undeacheiver and a slow learner in college and had played almost no left tackle . One game when Mckinnie was hurt.

Back
Top Bottom