Mel Kiper Mock Draft 1.0 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper Mock Draft 1.0

FinPhan54

Basement Dweller
Club Member
Reaction score
... has us taking Kyler Murray at 13.

He also has Haskins at 6.

I don't think Murray is going to fall that far, but I love seeing it!

If anyone has ESPN+ and has the full mock please post it here. I only watched the video.

I wouldn’t mind that at all, but Mel Kiper is the biggest blowhard on ESPN. He kinda makes me want to punch the tv screen and throw it out my window whenever I see him.

Difficult for me to believe that Haskins goes before Murray.

Clarity will prevail, just like last year when Mayfield rose to the top, despite some issues in his game

It's difficult for you to see the top QB in the draft going before a guy who's 5'9?

I like Murray, he's got a rifle for an arm and he's a great athlete but size is as important as anything in the NFL. When you are THAT small, and yes he's tiny for a starting QB, you won't last in the NFL.

Difficult for me to believe that Haskins goes before Murray.

Clarity will prevail, just like last year when Mayfield rose to the top, despite some issues in his game
Totally agree. This time last year a lot of folks had Mayfield behind Darnold, Rosen, and Allen.

Totally agree. This time last year a lot of folks had Mayfield behind Darnold, Rosen, and Allen.

I did, and it was because I didn't like Mayfield's make up or attitude. Still don't. I dinged him for being a douchebag and well - he's still a douchebag. So I feel comfortable with that assessment. I still wouldn't draft him over Darnold, Rosen or Allen.

When you grade a prospect, you're issuing those grades based on how you feel it ends up 3, 5, 7 years down the road. I'm not going to be surprised if a couple of 'em haven't surpassed Mayfield by then. How much better do you think Mayfield can improve over his rookie season, versus how much better do you think the other three can improve?

I can assure everyone the verdict on all of these young quarterbacks isn't in yet.

Why kyler Murray? Why not Will Grier? He is so much be than Kyler even though he didn't win the Heisman. People are sleeping on him.

Will Grier doesn't have the same arm strength as Kyler Murray, for starters. And before you get on about arm strength not mattering, I'm talking about the fact that Grier very rarely displays the de minimis velocity at NFL distances that you will generally need when throwing in the NFL. The guys who get away with not having that are typically old enough for it not to matter. For a young guy to walk in having to make decisions THAT much faster than your average NFL starter, while maintaining a level of acuity in your decision-making (not being careless with the football)...is very often way too much of an ask.

Kyler Murray is just a better passer than Grier, period. Arm strength aside. Has good touch. Can get the ball out with pace when he needs. His deep ball is extremely attractive, one of the more attractive deep balls we've seen over the years. His throwing process is a lot more consistent.

The mastery Murray displayed over Lincoln Riley's offense only being a first year starter, was pretty amazing. What you won't catch on a highlight reel, or even a collection of Murray's passes and runs, is how much his hands were all over the OU ground game, and how LITTLE he needed those pre-snap adjustments to come in from the sidelines.

Something you MAY catch on those highlight reels, but will probably miss, are his EYES and BRAIN during the pre-snap period.

He varies his cadence, uses his hands and voice excellently to try and draw the defense off-sides, or more importantly to try and draw them into giving away their blitzes. He sees the barest of movements and is able to ID the blitz, alert his players, and then modify his drop to account for the pressure, get the ball right into the vacated zone.

Sometimes he doesn't see a movement at all, but something off film study or the convenient spacing of a certain alignment will induce him to alert his protection to a possible corner blitz, or some such. Pro attributes.

Last edited:
Why kyler Murray? Why not Will Grier? He is so much be than Kyler even though he didn't win the Heisman. People are sleeping on him.

The two of them faced off in what was in essence an eliminator for the Big 10 champ game. It was a hell of a game and Grier held his own, both QBs looked on the money that night. Probably worth checking out the highlights somewhere on youtube.
My personal opinion is, I like both. But I really love Murray for us because of something that is immediately apparent, he's a difference maker, a game changer, someone who can literally change the perception of this franchise overnight. He's a gamble at his size, but the pay out is absolutely massive. Grier is a 2nd round talent that will go in the late first I feel, he's someone I think you take a chance on but he's not game changing in the way Murray could be.

Murray may not be the best QB in the draft but his skills make him perfect for the Miami Dolphins. That being said, y’all setting yourself up for heartbreak because we can’t have nice things.

The two of them faced off in what was in essence an eliminator for the Big 10 champ game. It was a hell of a game and Grier held his own, both QBs looked on the money that night. Probably worth checking out the highlights somewhere on youtube.
My personal opinion is, I like both. But I really love Murray for us because of something that is immediately apparent, he's a difference maker, a game changer, someone who can literally change the perception of this franchise overnight. He's a gamble at his size, but the pay out is absolutely massive. Grier is a 2nd round talent that will go in the late first I feel, he's someone I think you take a chance on but he's not game changing in the way Murray could be.

West Virginia had the much better D. No idea why Oklahoma can't attract better defensive talent, but it's they don't make much use of the talent they do have, so maybe players know to avoid them for that reason. Either way, Oklahoma's D is hot garbage, and it's no surprise that Dana Holgorsen (one of the top-10 offers minds in the sport) would abuse them. I don't give Grier tok much credit for his part in that.

Murray may not be the best QB in the draft but his skills make him perfect for the Miami Dolphins. That being said, y’all setting yourself up for heartbreak because we can’t have nice things.
So true :(

It's difficult for you to see the top QB in the draft going before a guy who's 5'9?

I like Murray, he's got a rifle for an arm and he's a great athlete but size is as important as anything in the NFL. When you are THAT small, and yes he's tiny for a starting QB, you won't last in the NFL.

Gotta look at Russell Wilson as a comp- he may be the exception but he's lasted. Actually Doug Flutie lasted a very long time as well.

Back
Top Bottom