Memorial Day | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Memorial Day

pgsmelt

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't know if any one else has posted and if so admin. please pull this thread but if not......

In memory of the brave Men and Women who have served and paid the ultimate price so that we may live Free......."Freedom is never Free"...

Salute......

This Memorial Day is bittersweet yet again because our men and women are dying overseas to protect us...God Bless them all.

Please don't forget those who have fought in previous wars!

I made a thread for this, but no one went to it in the political/war forum even though it is in my sig :( Shame on you guys....

Remember your vets, those that never came home, and praise those that are on active duty as well....That is an ORDER!

Bless the troops now and forever. Those still living and those who gave their lives for the freedoms we enjoy.

I've been wearing a ball cap all day with my Dad's ship's logo on it. DD-714 U.S.S. William R. Rush. I lost Dad on 1/18/01 and I still miss him. He would have been happy to see the WW II monument finished and I intend to go there this summer with that hat on.

Keith A. Hunsinger
A proud son!

i just want to say thanks to all the men and women that battle everyday for our freedom :patriot:

USS WILLIAM R. RUSH (DD-714)

William R. Rush commanded gunboats, cruisers, and battleships during the Spanish-American War. During the Mexican crisis of 1914 he fought at the head of a naval brigade at Veracruz. Wounded in the fighting, he continued to direct his officers and men with "conspicuous courage, coolness, and skill." On 15 October 1944, the navy launched the WILLIAM R. RUSH, which was commissioned on 21 September 1945.

clear.gif

DD-714 USS William R. Rush
Gearing Class Destroyer:
Displacement: 2425 tons
Length: 390''6"
Beam: 40'10"
Draft: 18'6"
Speed: 35 knots
Armament: 6 5"/38, 2x5 21" torpedo tubes
Complement: 355
High-pressure super-heated boilers, geared turbines with twin screws, 60,000 h.p.
Built at Federal, Port Newark and commissioned 1945

BigFinFan said:
USS WILLIAM R. RUSH (DD-714)

William R. Rush commanded gunboats, cruisers, and battleships during the Spanish-American War. During the Mexican crisis of 1914 he fought at the head of a naval brigade at Veracruz. Wounded in the fighting, he continued to direct his officers and men with "conspicuous courage, coolness, and skill." On 15 October 1944, the navy launched the WILLIAM R. RUSH, which was commissioned on 21 September 1945.

clear.gif

DD-714 USS William R. Rush
Gearing Class Destroyer:
Displacement: 2425 tons
Length: 390''6"
Beam: 40'10"
Draft: 18'6"
Speed: 35 knots
Armament: 6 5"/38, 2x5 21" torpedo tubes
Complement: 355
High-pressure super-heated boilers, geared turbines with twin screws, 60,000 h.p.
Built at Federal, Port Newark and commissioned 1945

Thank you very much. My Dad was a "plank owner", meaning he was part of the commissioning crew. The Rush was sold to South Korea which kept her in service for awhile and then used her for spare parts for their other Gearing class Fram II US destroyers. I think she has finally been scrapped. I got a chance to tour her when she was doing reservist cruises on the East Coast back in the late 70's out of Port Everglades in Lauderdale.

Back
Top Bottom