Memory lane......Lions at Dolphins 1994 Christmas night | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Memory lane......Lions at Dolphins 1994 Christmas night

He ran well but he put it on the ground 3 times too. He was a guy you rooted for but in reality he should have been a 3rd down type back.

Didn't we pick him up from UPS or something :)

What i remember was he was a good back that lead us in rushing 2 or 3 years in a row but never cracked 1,000 yards

He ran well but he put it on the ground 3 times too. He was a guy you rooted for but in reality he should have been a 3rd down type back. Craver had a ton of talent - you could see it there. But he also had a case of the fumbles. Not sure what happened to him / why his career fizzled quickly.
The Dolphins cycled through so many RBs in the late 80s/early 90s. Most had heart, some flashed talent— none had enough. Troy Stratford, Marc Logan, Irving Spikes, Bernie Parmalee, Mark Higgs, Aaron Craver, Bobby Humphrey, to say nothing of Sammy Smith— when those are the guys in the backfield, your running game isn’t going to be a strength.

They did have good fullbacks back then, from Tony Paige to Keith Byars.

Last edited:
Didn't we pick him up from UPS or something :)

What i remember was he was a good back that lead us in rushing 2 or 3 years in a row but never cracked 1,000 yards
We did. Good memory. UPS it was. He was the like the King of Queens guy :)

Solid player - would have been nice as a role player had we a top tier back!

The Dolphins cycled through so many RBs in the late 80s/early 90s. Most had heart, some flashed talent— none had enough. Troy Stratford, Marc Logan, Irving Spikes, Bernie Parmalee, Mark Higgs, Aaron Craver, Bobby Humphrey, to say nothing of Sammy Smith. When those are the guys in the backfield, your running game isn’t going to be a strength.

They did have good fullbacks back then, from Tony Paige to Keith Byars.
I thought the best one was going to be Lorenzo Hampton after he put up a 1200+ yards from scrimmage and chunky rushing average in his 2nd year I think. A lot of TDs too. Then he fizzled. I don’t remember if he suffered an injury or anything. But I do fondly recall a nighttime game when he went off on the Jets!

Remember those 2 monster runs Benny Malone had against the Colts I think.

Like 2 60 yard runs.

On google they have him in a redskin uni so he must have ended up there

He ran hard

I thought the best one was going to be Lorenzo Hampton after he put up a 1200+ yards from scrimmage and chunky rushing average in his 2nd year I think. A lot of TDs too. Then he fizzled. I don’t remember if he suffered an injury or anything. But I do fondly recall a nighttime game when he went off on the Jets!
That was the Jets at the Dolphins in 1986, a Monday night game in Miami. Hampton had 3 touchdowns and almost 150 yards.

That 1986 season had some bright spots, but it was more than anything else a waste of prime Dan Marino.

That was the Jets at the Dolphins in 1986, a Monday night game in Miami. Hampton had 3 touchdowns and almost 150 yards.

That 1986 season had some bright spots, but it was more than anything else a waste of prime Dan Marino.
Do you recall what happened to Hampton? He had that one big season and was done in what, 4-5 years?

What happened to Hampton after that 86. Year? I think Troy stradford was a rookie in 87 and took his snaps. Then what happened to Stradford? He fell off the map.

one big problem we always had was rookie and veteran holdouts. Robbie was good owner but didn’t like to spend too much. I remember guys missing all Preseason and sometimes reporting week 1.

don struck got let go because if money. Marino was pissed too.

86-89 were a mess. I hate to say it but I really blame Shula for those years. Wasted prime Marino years. Only defense was there wasn’t much player movement except for draft. You miss on draft you are in trouble.No free agency except plan b

Hugh green and Dwight Stevenson injuries were huge. Plus bosa would have been a good player but got hurt twice.

Do you recall what happened to Hampton? He had that one big season and was done in what, 4-5 years?
I don’t know what the problem was with Hampton, but it really started a revolving door of bodies at RB, so I never thought much of it. I know Stradford had a good first year and may have stolen his thunder. But by 1989 they were drafting Sammy Smith thinking he was going to be the answer— which he was certainly not.

What happened to Hampton after that 86. Year? I think Troy stradford was a rookie in 87 and took his snaps. Then what happened to Stradford? He fell off the map.

one big problem we always had was rookie and veteran holdouts. Robbie was good owner but didn’t like to spend too much. I remember guys missing all Preseason and sometimes reporting week 1.

86-89 were a mess. I hate to say it but I really blame Shula for those years. Wasted prime Marino years. Only defense was there wasn’t much player movement except for draft. You miss on draft you are in trouble.No free agency except plan b

Hugh green and Dwight Stevenson injuries were huge. Plus bosa would have been a good player but got hurt twice.
I think Stradford got injured and that hurt him, pun intended. And I think you’ve identified the two biggest issues of the post-85/pre-90 era: big-time injuries, and Shula not getting it done personnel wise. Bad coordinator on the defensive side too, but it was mostly a talent issue.

That Hugh Green trade should have been a winner. He was the best LB in the league as far as rushing the passer after LT. I think he managed half a season before the knee? Never came close to recovering physically after that. Dang.

A guy a lot of people forget that I think was going to be good was David Overstreet, the RB from Oklahoma who died in '84. We picked him in the first round but he went to Canada for a couple years then finally came to Miami for the '83 season.
DKLfNhVVAAEzaLe.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom