Memory lane1988 Dolphins vs Browns | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Memory lane1988 Dolphins vs Browns

Blame Olivadotti and his **** defense. Jarvis Williams was a good rookie Safety, but I just remember Lankford and Judson getting absolutely torched every week.
A lack of a pass rush will expose any secondary. TJ Turner was no pass rusher, Brian Sochia was in the middle (but could rush from the edge), and that left only John Bosa. Too bad he couldn't stay healthy and had to retire early. And Eric Kumerow was just not a good player. Funny how he and Jason Taylor were almost identical body types, but one is in the Hall of Fame and the other couldn't get the hang of the game. Ultimately, he, too, had to retire early because of injury.

Last edited:
I think you maybe overhyping Strock a tad. In those days it was hard to move teams and were he that good Miami would have traded him rather than keeping him as a career backup. He could step in for a pinch but it would not have been selfish for him to pursue a starters job somewhere If he’d had a chance.
He could have asked for a trade. No sure thing but as far as we know he never did.
Also, I disagree about Shula moving him if he was that good. Shula placed so much emphasis on having a good backup - one that could get you to the SB if you’re HOF QB went down. He did it in a Baltimore and Miami w Morrall and look how that turned out. He saw Strock the same way - I mean, we don’t go to the SB in ‘82 w/out Strock. Shula did not subscribe to the moving of backups. He wanted guys capable of starting.

Blame Olivadotti and his **** defense. Jarvis Williams was a good rookie Safety, but I just remember Lankford and Judson getting absolutely torched every week.
Olivadotti didn’t show up to camp one day and proclaim himself the defensive coordinator.

I blame the man who gave him the job, let him keep the job, and who gave too few resources in terms of talent to the coordinators on both sides of the ball. The franchise fell off a cliff talent-wise after 1985 and spent the late 80s running on the fumes of Dan Marino and the rest of the good players that had been drafted much earlier in the decade.

It wasn’t until the drafts of the early 90s that the talent significantly improved.

Olivadotti didn’t show up to camp one day and proclaim himself the defensive coordinator.

I blame the man who gave him the job, let him keep the job, and who gave too few resources in terms of talent to the coordinators on both sides of the ball. The franchise fell off a cliff talent-wise after 1985 and spent the late 80s running on the fumes of Dan Marino and the rest of the good players that had been drafted much earlier in the decade.

It wasn’t until the drafts of the early 90s that the talent significantly improved.
To be fair, he didn't have much to work with on that defense. It was depleted of talent thanks to some horrible drafts that we had in the mid 80's and into the 90's.

Shula’s loyalty to Olividatti might never be understood. Hiring Pete Carroll when he had the chance may have gotten us a ring.

To be fair, he didn't have much to work with on that defense. It was depleted of talent thanks to some horrible drafts that we had in the mid 80's and into the 90's.
This is true but his “read and react” scheme was so ineffective. To your point there were so few athletes on that side of the ball you couldn’t do much. The front line couldn’t get any pressure and the LBs were too slow. The coverage guys get a bad rap but they were put in impossible situations. The only playmaker on that D was Offerdahl and one guy wasn’t enough + he was hurt a lot.

I agree— that’s why I’m blaming the guy that bought the groceries, not the one who had to use them. Not saying that having a better coordinator there wouldn’t have helped, just not as much as better players.

This is true but his “read and react” scheme was so ineffective. To your point there were so few athletes on that side of the ball you couldn’t do much. The front line couldn’t get any pressure and the LBs were too slow. The coverage guys get a bad rap but they were put in impossible situations. The only playmaker on that D was Offerdahl and one guy wasn’t enough + he was hurt a lot.
The lack of speed was a big problem, I agree. Things started to go downhill after Bill Arnsparger left the team to coach in college.

Shula’s loyalty to Olividatti might never be understood. Hiring Pete Carroll when he had the chance may have gotten us a ring.
That may have helped, but a lack of a running game would’ve eventually done us in.

I agree— that’s why I’m blaming the guy that bought the groceries, not the one who had to use them. Not saying that having a better coordinator there wouldn’t have helped, just not as much as better players.
Sometimes I wonder just exactly what the scouts were looking at. It’s not as if we were running an overly-complex scheme. Was kind of disconnect existed between the scouts and the coaches?

A lack of a pass rush will expose any secondary. TJ Turner was no pass rusher, Brian Sochia was in the middle (but could rush from the edge), and that left only John Bosa. Too bad he couldn't stay healthy and had to retire early. And Eric Kumerow was just not a good player. Funny how he and Jason Taylor were almost identical body types, but one is in the Hall of Fame and the other couldn't get the hang of the game. Ultimately, he, too, had to retire early because of injury.
Kumerow, Bosa, Brophy, Shipp, Graff - all D selections in early rounds that sunk our ship.

Back
Top Bottom