Mercury Morris vs. Boston Patriots | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mercury Morris vs. Boston Patriots

P4E

Cogito, Ergo FinFanum
Reaction score
With the Cheerleaders in the Premie Forum
YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME IDENTIFY THE VERY DAY I BECAME A PHIN FAN!

Back in 1970 or 1971 (maybe '69), I was about 10 years old and I turned on the tube just as an NFL game was about to begin. I decided to watch, and I became a lifelong fan of aqua and orange. :)

The KEY thing in my sketchy memory is that some guy with the memorable moniker "Mercury Morris" returned a kick-off for a touchdown. I believe it was the opening kick-off.

For years I was convinced in my mind that he returned a punt for a TD also, but when someone accomplished that trick recently the list of those who had returned one of each in one game was presented on ESPN, and Merc's name wasn't there. Maybe he came close, maybe it was a different return man, -- or maybe my memories of phin's exploits just expanded over the years. Yeah, -- that could happen. ;)

In any event, I know it was in the 69 to 71 year range, I know the Pats were still the Boston Pats, and I know Mercury took at least one to the house.

Can anyone identify which game and date this would be? If I can at least narrow it down to a few possible dates I'd go do some library research in newspapers on microfilm.

THANK YOU to anyone who can help me narrow this down. If I can find that date, I'm gonna declare it my very own national holiday. :):):):)

Thanks, dolphan39!

Your second response looks just right. I'm gonna track down newspaper accounts of the game for my reading enjoyment and I'm starting the planning for my December 6 PhinPhandom Anniversary Party right away. :):):) Cooooool!!!

Back
Top Bottom