Merged 15x: Big Ben Hurt in motorcycle accident. | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 15x: Big Ben Hurt in motorcycle accident.

cnc66 said:
not many are lucky and survive their first bike/car encounter. I have heard it said that the first one is the killer, survive that one and your attitude changes.

Irish, I know exactly what Mole is saying, I'm surprised you don't. I watch their eyes, their hands, their front tires, where they glance, EVERYTHING is a clue, and I always know where I'm going IF they pull in front of me. I constantly scan for exits and options.

You're exactly right Marty. If one fails to learn those basic skills of riding, they will not be long for this world.

Crisdeman said:
Sure but he would probably still have his teeth, no gash in his head and probably just a concussion instead of a broken jaw.

People who dont wear helments on motorcycles are just stupid and get no pitty from me*. Hopefully he recovers but i truly don't care, he made his bed now its time to sleep in it.

* same goes for those who don't wear seatbelts while in cars.

Glad to see you have it all figured out. Here's a news flash. Most people that ride motors with or without helmets are not the type that would be looking for your pitty.

Here's a question. Why don't you wear a helmet while driving your car? Think how many lives that would save. It is really stupid not to, ya know.

I still can't believe that Ben survived the crash, most people would have died instantly, he truly is very lucky. I would think from what I've heard of his injuries that him having a football career ever again seems to be unlikely, but I hope him all the best and I also hope to see him one day return to the NFL.

Ben should have been wearing a helmet...

That being said, I'm willing to bet anything that the accident was not his fault. The 900 year old woman who hit him probably does'nt deserve to be driving.

This is a string case for mandatory helmets in ALL of the U.S.A. AND for stronger driver testing. there are a WHOLE lot of people driving on todays roads who have ZERO business being allowed to...driving is a priviledge, not a right.

I want Big Ben to recover fully....so we can kick his *** opening night.

unifiedtheory said:

That being said, I'm willing to bet anything that the accident was not his fault. The 900 year old woman who hit him probably does'nt deserve to be driving.

This is a string case for mandatory helmets in ALL of the U.S.A. AND for stronger driver testing. there are a WHOLE lot of people driving on todays roads who have ZERO business being allowed to...driving is a priviledge, not a right.

The woman who cut in front of him was 62 not 900. I rode Motorcycles for 25yrs and the first thing I learned was never ever EVER take for granted that the driver coming at you actually saw you. Too often motorist make a quick left right left glance and they just plain don't see the motorcycle until its too late. The change to making the head light stay on all the time helped a lot but it still happens on a daily basis. On a motorcycle you have to be twice as offensive a driver than you do in a car. As for helmets Ben should have been wearing one but in a severe contact accident at speeds over 50 I don't believe they will be much left besides you head and a helmet. Get well Ben.

themole said:
Glad to see you have it all figured out. Here's a news flash. Most people that ride motors with or without helmets are not the type that would be looking for your pitty.

Here's a question. Why don't you wear a helmet while driving your car? Think how many lives that would save. It is really stupid not to, ya know.

I love how people try to compare a bike to a car, theyre so similar I can't imagine why i never realized it. They both go forward and back, run on gas, wow i need to go out and buy a helmet.:rolleyes:

Actually I wear a seatbelt. The helmet is the 2000+lbs of car that i'm inside of along with the airbags that surround me. I guess thats the same as riding on and engine and two wheels.

Not to mention that driving a crotch rocket means lots of high speeds, but you shouldn't wear a helmet, cause its hot/it makes you look goofy/insert your reason here...:shakeno:

unifiedtheory said:

62 isnt that old buddy. You're over halfway to 900 yourself.

Crisdeman said:
I love how people try to compare a bike to a car, theyre so similar I can't imagine why i never realized it. They both go forward and back, run on gas, wow i need to go out and buy a helmet.

Actually I wear a seatbelt. The helmet is the 2000+lbs of car that i'm inside of along with the airbags that surround me. I guess thats the same as riding on and engine and two wheels.

Not to mention that driving a crotch rocket means lots of high speeds, but you shouldn't wear a helmet, cause its hot/it makes you look goofy/insert your reason here...:shakeno:

More people die in car accidents than motorcycle accidents.

The helmet is the car? That's not the point. Personal protection to its fullest was the point you were making.

The real point is, you don't ride, because you think it is to dangerous or you just don't care for motorcycles.

My reason for not wearing a helmet is I don't care for them. Period.

Insert your self imposing reasons for interfering with a sport you have absolutely no interest in.:shakeno:

[mod] Personal attacks are not allowed. [/mod]

I really hope the reports are exaggerated and he's good to go for the season opener. Big Ben is one of my favorite players and it would be a shame if he is unable to play at the level he has shown us again.

That said, he's an idiot for not wearing a helmet. This debate has been raging on all day (I'm looking at you, Mole) and - sorry but if you don't wear a helmet, you deserve to have your brains spread all over the pavement. I don't care how good a rider you are, your head will eventually meet ground one day and the last thought before you turn into Rainman will be, "Man! I should be wearing a helmet!"

Until then, enjoy that hair blowing in the wind, idiot.

themole said:
More people die in car accidents than motorcycle accidents.

The helmet is the car? That's not the point. Personal protection to its fullest was the point you were making.

The real point is, you don't ride, because you think it is to dangerous or you just don't care for motorcycles.

My reason for not wearing a helmet is I don't care for them. Period.

Insert your self imposing reasons for interfering with a sport you have absolutely no interest in.:shakeno:

"There were 33.38 fatalities per each 100 million miles of travel on a motorcycle while there were only 1.28 fatalities per each 100 million miles of passenger car travel."

More people drive cars than ride motorcycles, common sense dictates more cars will be involved in accidents but motorcycle accidents are much deadlier. Feel free to continute slanting facts to try to support your opinion.

"The helmet is the car" Allow me to explain this to you more clearly since you seemed to have missed the point. A car has many more features and design to keep the operator safe in case of an impact. Air bags, steel reinforced cabins, etc are all safety features that motorcycles do not have. Once again common sense would tell you to wear a helmet to protect your most important body part when riding on a bike that provides no protection. But I guess if you dont use your brain much you don't feel the need to protect it from a high velocity impact with pavement or an automobile.

Wether I ride or not is not the point, lol, way to try to change the topic. The point is that riding without a helmet is a stupid move and can only cause more damage if you are ever envloved in an accident. And please don't use the "I'm a really good driver" excuse because that is a pile of complete BS because for all the "good" drivers there are the "bad" drivers outnumber them tenfold.

Since when is driving around the city a SPORT, and last i heard it was illegal to streetrace(which is what most crotch rocket owners do, once again reason to wear a helmet). And if you look at any actual REAL motorcycle sport the drivers are decked out in tons of protective gear including HELMETS.

BTW thanks for inserting your reason for not caring for your skull. Vanity is one of the seven deadly sins isnt it? Very well illustrated here i guess.

themole said:
If you are going to, or expect to ride a motorcycle for any length of time you had better expect something like that to happen to you at every intersection. Don't tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about. You are the :goof: in this instance. I have avoided just such accidents as the one Ben experienced today because I ride DEFENSIVELY! I can tell that YOU have never ridden, because you would know what I'm talking about if you had.

I tell you what pal, come talk to me after you've scraped as many people as I have off the freeway that wrecked their bikes. I'll try your reasons the next time I have to tell a family that their son was killed in a motorcycle accident that he should have seen coming. It was his fault someone cut him off and turned him into a skid mark on the street. He should have known this was coming. I'm sure that will go over real well. Defensively? Give me a break. If someone is gonna hit you their gonna hit you and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it no matter how good a rider you may be.

Crisdeman said:
Since when is driving around the city a SPORT, and last i heard it was illegal to streetrace(which is what most crotch rocket owners do, once again reason to wear a helmet)

All good points until here. Most crotch rocket owners just want a faster bike, not necessarily to race. I have one and I have never raced it.
That's like saying all corvette drivers are race car drivers

N-A said:
I really hope the reports are exaggerated and he's good to go for the season opener. Big Ben is one of my favorite players and it would be a shame if he is unable to play at the level he has shown us again.

That said, he's an idiot for not wearing a helmet. This debate has been raging on all day (I'm looking at you, Mole) and - sorry but if you don't wear a helmet, you deserve to have your brains spread all over the pavement. I don't care how good a rider you are, your head will eventually meet ground one day and the last thought before you turn into Rainman will be, "Man! I should be wearing a helmet!"

Until then, enjoy that hair blowing in the wind, idiot.

:shakeno: no reason to call someone an idiot

Rocky Raccoon said:
:shakeno: no reason to call someone an idiot
Hes right though! Big Ben is a idiot for not wearing a helmet. The chances of him injuring his face/head wearing a helmet are greatly reduced when wearing a helmet.

In that sense alone he is an idiot but I do hope he gets better. No matter whos at fault the bike rider will always get injured, be it a minor scratch or broken leg to a major head injury.

I can see teams putting all kinds of rules in a players contracts after this incident in conjuction with winslows.

UltraDol-Fan said:
All good points until here. Most crotch rocket owners just want a faster bike, not necessarily to race. I have one and I have never raced it.
That's like saying all corvette drivers are race car drivers

Yeah but name one corvette driver that hasnt punched it. The speed is there and every bike rider I know of including myself has punched the gas. Its a fact!

When you ride its not "if" you get into an accident its "WHEN". It doesnt have to be a vehicle versus bike it could be just a laying it on the ground while driving over loose dirt.

If you are a rider you know what I mean.

:)

Back
Top Bottom