[MERGED] 25 million dollars for Smiley!?

G-Force

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
I agree that it does not make sense for this team to sign guards or players at the end of their career to big contract...I hope we don't get Faneca for all the money he is asking for at his age and time in his career. At least Smiley is only 26 but I not so sure that it was money well spent on someone is is coming off a serious injury...i don't know. I hope i'm wrong.

Go Fins!!!
It was just a seperated shoulder he got recovering a fumble. He still recovered it BTW. He has been very durable and reliable in his carreer and started every game in the 05 and 06 seasons. That really isn't a serious injury concidering Zach played a playoff game for us with a seperated shoulder at the LB position.

Rich

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Hmm... didn't realize he missed half the year last year. Will have to take another look. Maybe he's not as good as I thought.

DrunkenFan

Starter
Reaction score
The point is, OG is such an easy position to fill. They're about as low a hanging fruit as you can find position-wise. Hadnot would've maintained some continuity on the line and the difference between the two is minimal, though Hadnot weighs more. Both can play Center or OG, and we probably could've signed Rex for less money. This was a waste of money, period.

G-Force

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
You guys are just wannywashed. That is kind of like being brainwashed only worse. Hadnot couldn't carry his jok strap and packed his bags for a reason. Get over it.

FriendofBill

Starter
Reaction score
I'm amazed the Dolphins got Smiley so cheap.

I don't know what kind of XBox/Madden 07 World some of you live in where you can just out to the starting guard tree and pick yourself a starting guard off the branch for nothing, but if you would like to join the rest of us in the real world you would know good starting guards are hard to find, and it's reflected in what teams are willing to pay for them on the open market. Look no further than last year....

Derrick Dockery .. 7 years, 49 million, $18.5 million in guarantees, $23 million over the first three seasons.

Leonard Davis .. 7 years, 49.6 million, 18.75 million in guarantees, $24 million over the first three years.

Eric Steinbach ... 7-years, $49-million, 17 million guaranteed.

None of those guys had made a Pro Bowl when they signed.

BillsFanInPeace

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score

I don't know what kind of XBox/Madden 07 World some of you live in where you can just out to the starting guard tree and pick yourself a starting guard off the branch for nothing, but if you would like to join the rest of us in the real world you would know what the going price for starting guards in the NFL is. Look at last year's market setters...

Derrick Dockery .. 7 years, 49 million, $18.5 million in guarantees, $23 million over the first three seasons.

Leonard Davis .. 7 years, 49.6 million, 18.75 million in guarantees, $24 million over the first three years.

The problem is these are all LGs.

Smiley is a RG.

But I do think it is a great signing for you. People have to understand prices are going up in every position heck even safetys are getting paid now.

FriendofBill

Starter
Reaction score
The problem is these are all LGs.

Smiley is a RG.

But I do think it is a great signing for you. People have to understand prices are going up in every position heck even safetys are getting paid now.
Leonard Davis started at RG all 16 games for the Cowboys.

BillsFanInPeace

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Leonard Davis started at RG all 16 games for the Cowboys.

That very well could be, I do know he was signed as a LG as well though.

I am not saying this is a poor signing. Actually when this happened on our MB we were saying well there is step one to a credible line in MIA

emeraldfin

Gary Speed RIP
Reaction score
Not sure about this move

That 49 line last year was an absolute disaster, so a bit nervous about this move

BobDole

Suck it Trebek
Reaction score

I don't know what kind of XBox/Madden 07 World some of you live in where you can just out to the starting guard tree and pick yourself a starting guard off the branch for nothing, but if you would like to join the rest of us in the real world you would know good starting guards are hard to find, and it's reflected in what teams are willing to pay for them on the open market. Look no further than last year....

i don't see how you can put smiley in that category bro. that's like comparing our david martin signing last year with guys like witten, gates, and davis (just as examples). apples and oranges.

dolpns13

Taste the Burn
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score

And Leanrd Davis was considered a bust in Zona

FriendofBill

Starter
Reaction score
i don't see how you can put smiley in that category bro. that's like comparing our david martin signing last year with guys like witten, gates, and davis (just as examples). apples and oranges.

I'm not putting him in that category, he's a notch below. And the Dolphins contract relfected it .. it basically got half of what those guys got in salary and guaranteed money (and I think he's not that far removed from Dockery). Also, as I said before .. none of those guys had ever been to a Pro Bowl, so it's not like they were elite.

Just saying that those people thinking you can just go out and find a starting caliber guard for nothing need to turn off the XBox and join the rest of us in the real world.

G-Force

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
Our FO had Smiley #1 on our list. We signed him before anyone signed anywhere else. We already had him locked up before he even hit the market. If that don't tell you doubters something I don't know what else to say. Bill makes short lists of players he wants in FA and the draft and for Smiley to be at the top says alot to me.

Top Bottom