[MERGED] 25 million dollars for Smiley!? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] 25 million dollars for Smiley!?

This is the kind of signing we need.

i'm not trying to be a "debbie downer" but what is so great about Smiley? He is coming off a pretty serious injury for an o-lineman (a dislocated shoulder and torn labrum) which landed him on the IR for half of the season in 07 and we are giving him $9 million in guaranteed money...$9 million for a right guard? IMHO i don't think this is money well spent...sorry. If Cameron and Mueller made this move a lot of people would be all over them...becuase is was Parcells and Sparano it's a great move...right? I hope I'm wrong and I hope Smiley becomes a Pro Bowl player for the Fins...did he make the Pro Bowl yet? I don't think so.

Go Fins!!!

I posted this on another thread but Smiley's contract only amounts to $1M per year more than what we were paying LJ Shelton. There is still plenty of money left for us to sign Alan Faneca, truly fortify the OL, and still go after other big name free agents.

i'm not trying to be a "debbie downer" but what is so great about Smiley? He is coming off a pretty serious injury for an o-lineman (a dislocated shoulder and torn labrum) which landed him on the IR for half of the season in 07 and we are giving him $9 million in guaranteed money...$9 million for a right guard? IMHO i don't think this is money well spent...sorry. If Cameron and Mueller made this move a lot of people would be all over them...becuase is was Parcells and Sparano it's a great move...right? I hope I'm wrong and I hope Smiley becomes a Pro Bowl player for the Fins...did he make the Pro Bowl yet? I don't think so.

Go Fins!!!
finally something i can agree with. while the contract isnt too high this type of signing is something idid not want. didn't we learn from the porter signing? everybody is talking about smiley as if he is alan fanacea's twin brother. i will support the guy 100% because he is a dolphin now but please ireland nomore people that can't possibly play till the season starts..how is this line supposed to gel when they are taking it easy during camps?

Go Fins!!!

Great post, totally agree. Every move the dolphins have made (free agency and draft) over the last 5-6 years has been near disaterous. It just seems like we are always picking the wrong players. Maybe some of it is just bad luck, but at some point you have to hope something turns out right.

Hopefully Smiley is the start of it. BTW, with all the reading I did on free agency the last two weeks....didn't see Smiley's name anywhere. :unsure:

i would have rather given that kind of money to hadnot myself. while i like the signing, i think we gave him too much money and now other FA's looking to come to miami will see this and expect the same thing. don't like the kircus signing one bit, and we gave smiley too much loot. we'll see, but not so fantastic.

Go watch some 9er games, thats all I have to say. The guy isn't worth 5 million dollars a year. He's nothing special. Break the bank on a player that is going to help this team, not take another step back.

Dude, we're not talking about Wide Receivers or Running backs here, how many guards are flashy or stand out as something special?

This is grunt work and I've heard good things about this kid, obviously Parcells and company liked him enough to jump him right out of the gate in free agency.

It doesn't serve this team well to acquire lineman near the end of their careers, we are not that close.

They obviously didn't think Hadnot was worth the money they offered Smiley, or perhaps Hadnot is delusional about just how good he is.

It says he is slated at RG. Is this the end for Hadnot? Is he an upgrade over Hadnot. I dont know much about the guy

He had shoulder surgery and lost some mass. He can play G and C and is high character. I'm not wowed by the first off season move this brain-trust has executed. Hopefully Pace/Briggs is next.

Dude, we're not talking about Wide Receivers or Running backs here, how many guards are flashy or stand out as something special?

This is grunt work and I've heard good things about this kid, obviously Parcells and company liked him enough to jump him right out of the gate in free agency.

It doesn't serve this team well to acquire lineman near the end of their careers, we are not that close.

They obviously didn't think Hadnot was worth the money they offered Smiley, or perhaps Hadnot is delusional about just how good he is.

I agree that it does not make sense for this team to sign guards or players at the end of their career to big contract...I hope we don't get Faneca for all the money he is asking for at his age and time in his career. At least Smiley is only 26 but I not so sure that it was money well spent on someone is is coming off a serious injury...i don't know. I hope i'm wrong.

Go Fins!!!

It says he is slated at RG. Is this the end for Hadnot? Is he an upgrade over Hadnot. I dont know much about the guy
I think he definantly is. I haven't seen no negatives on him on any 49'ers sites. On here is the only place you see people dissing him. Most of the 9er fans seem upset and thank him for his hard work and wish him the best. He seems like a hard working nasty guard and that is why we called him at 12:01 am.:winkwink:

He had shoulder surgery and lost some mass. He can play G and C and is high character. I'm not wowed by the first off season move this brain-trust has executed. Hopefully Pace/Briggs is next.

I not so sure we can get both but i would love Pace or Briggs...I'm a big fan of Briggs...I said that he was the free agent i wanted most...but it sounds like Briggs will be going to San Fran.

Pace is solid and has really good upside...he is the type of player we need on defense and it looks like he wants to be in Miami...i will be very happy with Pace. Pace would make our draft even more interesting...if we get Pace...I think we might not get C. Long...I think he is out of the equation and our pick becomes a bigger mystery.

Go Fins!!!

Back
Top Bottom