Merged 4x:ESPN Insider Article: KC Surtain agree,in principle to a contract | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 4x:ESPN Insider Article: KC Surtain agree,in principle to a contract

No 2nd rounder NO DEAL.......... don't cave Nick...............Btw thanks for all the heads up news Nublar7, you seem to be "Johnny on the spot" with it all the time.

The Chiefs won't win a SB until one of two things (or both) happens:

1. Lamar Hunt dies.
2. Carl Peterosn quits or is fired.

That's a stone cold fact.

miamirw said:
Screw that. They give us their 1st rounder or we keep Surtain and Franchise him next year.

Two good prime years out of your best player is worth more than a measely 2nd rounder.

I believe Saban understands Surtain's value. He's worth much more to us than the piddling 2nd that KC wants to give up.
Gaining 8.3m in cap space + gaining picks for surtain > Surtain

Its got potential to be a 4-1 trade or something if we re-invest the cap savings by dealing surt into a few more players. + we get the pick. Obviosly a #2 would be nice but if they gave us a future 2 and 5th this year or something how can we be upset?

If KC spent the time to complete a contract extention they are very interested. I was begining to think that we wern't going to be able to trade im but after reading that article I'm fairly certain that Saban will get what he wants.

Boik14 said:

Its got potential to be a 4-1 trade or something if we re-invest the cap savings by dealing surt into a few more players. + we get the pick. Obviosly a #2 would be nice but if they gave us a future 2 and 5th this year or something how can we be upset?

i agree with this logic - trading surtain not only gets a pick or 2 but also inevitabley frees up $ to sign a few others as well

Dolfan2788 said:
Why are the cheifs even considering getting Surtain anyway? They could get Miller, Rogers, Rolle or Pacman if they fall to them. Future great DB's.

The only decent CB the Chiefs have is Eric Warfield. He is a good #2 and an adequate #1. We have a few other young CBs that have potential to be decent sometime, but are not consistant and get flagged a great deal. Furthermore, Warfield could likely be suspended for the first four games of the season because of a DUI conviction.

We need at least two CBs. It has been stated by our coaches, Gunther Cunningham especially, that we want two CBs this offseason: a free agent and a draftee. If we got Surtain and somebody like Carlos Rogers, we could have Surtain as the #1, Warfield as the #2, and the 1st round draftee as the #3. While Warfield is out the draftee could start. If we were really lucky, and the draftee actually plays really good, we could move Warfield back to his natural position at free safety. Surtain at CB1, draftee (that is playing good enough to beat out Warfield) CB2, Knight SS, and Warfield FS would be pretty good. Compared to our secondary last year, it would be extremely good.

It's really simple next year is a year away and that player isn't going to play for you for a year and most of the time it takes a player a couple years before thay make an impact.

lilcubanphinfan said:
y are next years picks worth less then this years picks i dont get it.
whats worth more: a dollar now or a dollar a year from now? A dollar now of course because you can invest it in something and get a return on your investment. Its the same way with draft picks

Boik14 said:

As a Chiefs fan I would rather do a 5th this year and 2nd next then a 2nd this year. I would be very happy with that trade.

Sarcastro said:
As a Chiefs fan I would rather do a 5th this year and 2nd next then a 2nd this year. I would be very happy with that trade.
As a Phin fan i couldnt complain because we need to start loading up on future picks and get younger/better and you guys with that offense have a chance to do something if you can find a D. Plus with us going to a zone theres a de-emphasis on guys playing 1 on 1 coverage so surtain is less valuable to us in that regard too

With this news that they've reached an agreement in principle, doesn't that reduce their negotiating leverage?

All you guys saying that it's either a 2nd or 4th are wrong. If Miami agrees to a 3rd (I don't think we will) then KC can always trade down to the 3rd from the 2nd and give that new 3rd to the Phins while getting extra picks. However, I don't think Saban will take less than a 2nd. Heck, if it's anything less than a 2nd, I think we would do better using Surtain as extra leverage in trading down from #2.

If they want to trade us future draft picks I wouldn't want anything less than a 2nd gand a 4th or 5th. Or a future 1st, because they are going to be a little better than they were last year.

caneaddict said:
With this news that they've reached an agreement in principle, doesn't that reduce their negotiating leverage?

All you guys saying that it's either a 2nd or 4th are wrong. If Miami agrees to a 3rd (I don't think we will) then KC can always trade down to the 3rd from the 2nd and give that new 3rd to the Phins while getting extra picks. However, I don't think Saban will take less than a 2nd. Heck, if it's anything less than a 2nd, I think we would do better using Surtain as extra leverage in trading down from #2.

Why would they trade there second away to give us a third why wouldn't they give us there second if they were going to have to part with it anyway. Way too complicated ever to happen. A second isn't asking to much for a player like Surtain.

I'd take the 4th this year and a 2nd next year because the next 2006 draft is loaded with offensive tackles. And Lord knows we will be targeting one.

Back
Top Bottom