(Merged 4x) Rumor: Dolphins seriously interested in Atogwe | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

(Merged 4x) Rumor: Dolphins seriously interested in Atogwe

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
Secondly, June 1st is approaching and everyone is expecting a decision from the St. Louis Rams on what to do with free safety O.J. Atogwe. As the Herald first reported months ago, Atogwe will become a free agent unless the Rams sign him to a long-term contract, offer him a one-year tender at 110 percent of his 2009 salary (it was $6.3 million so the tender would be $6,993,000), or trade him.

I cannot see the Rams simply letting Atogwe go without getting something for him. That would be personnel malpractice. If a trade is in the works, Atogwe will sign his tender no later than Monday and then be dealt. Atogwe will not sign his current tender and stay with St. Louis.

Will the Dolphins be interested? Again, as The Herald reported months ago, Miami will be a player if Atogwe is out there.
The question is to what degree?

The Dolphins set a budget for what they believed two free safeties were worth this offseason when they chased Antrel Rolle and Ryan Clark. They landed neither. I believe the Dolphins will set a price for Atogwe internally and if they can get him for that, then so be it.

(It must be noted the Dolphins just saved themselves $3.05 million by cutting Reggie Torbor on Thursday so they have dollars in the 2010 budget to work with.)

But it's not a certainty the Dolphins would be able to land Atogwe if he becomes available because in a best-case scenario it could require a bigger contract Miami is willing to offer, as other teams will also be interested. In a worst-case, it could even require trade compensation and a big contract to land Atogwe.

One has to wonder how desperate the team is to make this move ...

Are the Dolphins desperate enough to offer a draft pick or player to the Rams in trade? Are they only desperate enough to jump into a bidding war? Is Miami's interest limited to a signing that would be big, but not fiscally irresponsible?

Or are the Dolphins out of this derby because they are truly happy with second-year player Chris Clemons at free safety?

Logically, I believe you can rule out the latter choice because the Dolphins already showed they want to upgrade the position beyond Clemons. Sorry, Chris.

The other questions that will tell us the extent of Miami's interest will be answered soon enough.

This much is certain, Atogwe will have suitors -- perhaps in Dallas, perhaps Chicago.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Rams step up and pay him.

We should know in the next several days.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-dolphins-in-next-few-days.html#ixzz0pCFSxTe6

I reported in the VIP forums after the draft that Miami would be in the market for a veteran FS and than I was not told who it was, but now I know they were referring to Atogwe. Please Please sign OJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! If he is available via F/A we should definitely go after him. For the right price though. He he signs his tender and they want to trade him i believe we won't be in the running for his services.

Swell ... the Great Cornholio casts his all-seeing eye on the future!!

He'll predict anything for a couple blog hits!!

He is not speculating he clearly states that if he is released Miami will be a player

He is not speculating he clearly states that if he is released Miami will be a player

Not really. he stated that the Herald reported months ago the Dolphins will be a player for Atogwe, which I don't seem to remember the article. Armando is just speculatig, as everyone else has when it comes to Atogwe. Title is misleading, just saying.

I find it hard to believe Rams won't try to trade him. Thing is, like Marshall, he has to like where he's headed or he won't sign the tender. So we can only hope he wants to be in Miami, or just as good, he doesn't want to play for the teams willing to trade. I doubt our FO would want to give up anything more than a 6th or 7th, if that.

The article was on the herald and it was reported by Jeff Darlinton. I am one of Armando's worst critiques, but he is not one to speculate.

I find it hard to believe Rams won't try to trade him. Thing is, like Marshall, he has to like where he's headed or he won't sign the tender. So we can only hope he wants to be in Miami, or just as good, he doesn't want to play for the teams willing to trade. I doubt our FO would want to give up anything more than a 6th or 7th, if that.
I think you are spot on. Everyone needs to get value for their players, NONE more than the Rams.

They're in that weird position where the team is being sold/purchased. Often when this happens, they try to get salaries down to a minimum ... seen it many times.

Thus, I would think a Trade makes more sense for the Rams ... ditch the salary & get a draft-pick-cherry sweetener for the future owners.

All of this hinges on signing him for a "tradeable salary" ... that's the fly in the ointment!!

The article was on the herald and it was reported by Jeff Darlinton. I am one of Armando's worst critiques, but he is not one to speculate.

He does it all the time, as shown by this article. With quotes like "Or are the Dolphins out of this derby because they are truly happy with second-year player Chris Clemons at free safety?", it clearly shows he has no clue if the Dolphins are interested or not. Like I said the title is misleading.

The Miami Dolphins should be interested in his services, but it is unknown how high a price they are willing to pay for him.

Additionally, the Rams could get Atogwe to sign his tender on the condition that they would then trade him to another team. That other team would then negotiate a multi-year deal with Atogwe. However, after June 1st, that option would be off the table with Atogwe a free agent.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/...ronGab+(NFL+GridIron+Gab)&utm_content=Twitter

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Why would anyone trade for Atogwe when they know he will be released on June 1st. Why not trade for him months ago?

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/...ronGab+(NFL+GridIron+Gab)&utm_content=Twitter

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Why would anyone trade for Atogwe when they know he will be released on June 1st. Why not trade for him months ago?

By giving up a little compensation, it guarantees you the player. If you wait until he is a free agent, you risk another team having a better deal or situation (in our case, the Dallas Cowboys)

I use clemons on madden and hes pretty good LOL

By giving up a little compensation, it guarantees you the player. If you wait until he is a free agent, you risk another team having a better deal or situation (in our case, the Dallas Cowboys)

I know, but still with three days remain now is when they are gonna trade him. Just a few days ago Coach Spanuoolo was quoted as saying he had not talked to OJ in weeks. I think he is goner unless they dish out the cash.

Back
Top Bottom