*** Merged: Albert for ??? Trade MEGA-Thread *** | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Merged: Albert for ??? Trade MEGA-Thread ***

miamifire

Scout Team
Reaction score
Was just listening to WQAM. Host covering for Big O said this was being discussed between teams. Gase coached Thomas in Denver. What do you guys think?:err:

Last edited by a moderator:
HERALD: Everything you need to know about a Branden Albert trade, including the name

The Miami Dolphins are hopeful but not necessarily optimistic they will be able to trade offensive tackle Branden Albert in the coming weeks because making the deal involves a lot of moving parts somehow synchronizing to everyone’s satisfaction.

One of the teams, and perhaps the only team, currently interested in Albert is the Jacksonville Jaguars, according to multiple sources.

The Jaguars need a starting left tackle because they recently decided not to pick up a club option on Kelvin Beachum, effectively sending him into free agency on March 9 -- one year after they signed him to a five-year contract.

So if no other team gets involved, a trade between the Dolphins and Jaguars would require the two teams agreeing on compensation for Albert. And it would also require Albert agreeing to play in Jacksonville -- which tests his willingness to go to a team with little chance of competing for a championship while also perhaps seeking greater financial security if he goes up I-95 a few hundred miles.

Here’s how it works:

The trade agreement between the teams is usually the least complex issue in matters such as this.

The Dolphins are said to value draft choice compensation even if that won’t necessarily come in the form of an early-round pick. And because this deal would hit at the start of the new league year on March 9 -- nearly two months before the April 27-29 draft -- the Dolphins might want the pick in the coming draft rather than settle on a conditional pick for 2018.

A conditional pick, which probably would be Jacksonville’s preference, would grant the Dolphins a pick based on Albert’s performance and amount of contribution with the Jaguars in 2017.

If the teams cannot decide on draft pick compensation, which remains the most likely vehicle for getting a deal between the teams, the teams might explore player compensation.

And that deal would have to include a player the Jaguars are not eager to keep.

Tight end Julius Thomas is one obvious possibility.

The Jaguars signed Thomas to a five-year, $46 million contract in 2015 that made Thomas the fourth-highest paid tight end in the NFL. But after catching 24 touchdowns passes the previous two seasons in Denver, Thomas hasn’t produced at that level for the Jaguars.

He only played nine games and caught 30 passes, including four touchdowns last season.

Because of this, rumors persisted the Jaguars would release Thomas this offseason. Those subsided when the team kept Thomas through the Super Bowl because that meant $3 million of the player’s 2017 base salary became guaranteed. And teams do not typically release players once they guarantee significant portions of their base salary.

Except that doesn’t apply to a trade.

The Jaguars can trade Thomas and his new team would be on the hook for the base salary, including the guarantee. Indeed, if Thomas is traded to the Dolphins, they would take on the remaining three years of his deal. The Dolphins have shown a willingness to do this in the past as they took on cornerback Byron Maxwell’s contract after trading for him last season.

More at LINK: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article133322754.html#storylink=cpy

Dolphins talking trade with Jaguars about Branden Albert?

The Miami Dolphins were reported to have released Branden Albert on Thursday. Then they didn’t. They were then in talks with “numerous” teams about a trade. Unless they weren’t.

It now appears that “numerous” really means one at this point but this is of course the NFL and as this time of year arrives, one can be two and two can be one. Tis the season for smoke and mirrors.

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, the Jacksonville Jaguars are the primary team involved in trade talks with the Dolphins about the teams left tackle, Branden Albert. The Jaguars have opted to move on from their own left tackle, Kelvin Beachum which now leaves a big hole on their offensive line.

Naturally the Jaguars would like to fill that hole but finding the right piece could be problematic given other teams interest and needs at the position. Trading for a LT now would make sense and set the Jaguars up to concentrate on other areas in free agency.

The bigger question is what exactly are the teams talking about regarding compensation? Albert would likely be worth little more than mid to late round pick in 2017 or a conditional pick in 2018. Of course there could be a player involved and some have surmised that tight-end Julius Thomas could be a player or the player involved. Thomas’ best years were in Denver under Adam Gase.

More at LINK: http://phinphanatic.com/2017/02/17/dolphins-talking-trade-jaguars-branden-albert/

I hate that salary on Thomas.

I have heard he is not a high character guy. In particular, he has problems with effort, dedication, and playing even slightly hurt.

I have heard he is not a high character guy. In particular, he has problems with effort, dedication, and playing even slightly hurt.

Gase knows the type of player Thomas is. No way is Gase bringing Thomas in if that is the case. Players are held accountable on this team finally, you can believe that Thomas also knows this coming here, because of his previous work with Gase. That is why this doesn't really bother me. Gase will have him playing and practicing how this new Miami team does.

Was just listening to WQAM. Host covering for Big O said this was being discussed between teams. Gase coached Thomas in Denver. What do you guys think?:err:
Not opposed to a trade, but not a JT fan. Maybe they have 1-2 other players their willing to trade. Any front 7 D guy and a box of matches is more than they'll get if they release BA.

Not a fan of this. This guy quits on his teams. One little injury and he'll take weeks off. He just wanted to be paid. It's unfortunate because he's a great red zone target when he actually tries.

In Gase I trust. Gase knows Thomas and I think he can get him to work if that's the way he choses to go

If Gase thinks this is a good deal, then I'm ok with it. Hopefully, Thomas will restructure.

Funny enough the salary is the best thing about making a trade. 2017 its 7 million. Last two years it 17.5 but no dead cap if he completely sucks. Its a very low risk move . . . If Gase wants him.

Contract wise Albert is making 8.8 whereas Julius is making 7. You are gaining salary in the trade

Back
Top Bottom